350Z Roadster S/C Build

Mike_89

Well I received the new gauge faces this morning, so I thought I would get to work in converting the rest of the LEDs.

I didn't really get that much time to take photos during the modification, sorry.

Here is the finished result.

IMG_20140904_2103501.jpg

IMG_20140904_2104241.jpg

• Like 1

Doing this job you are removing LEDs for LEDs.

It isn't a difficult job to do if you have soldering skills. If you are not too confident with your soldering skills I would practice on the least significant controls such as switches and purchase a low power soldering iron (4 - 8W). This will be a little more forgiving when you are apply heat to remove the existing LEDs. I used a 40W iron which reduced the time to remove LEDs, but you have to be quick not to damage the contact pads on the PCB.

Problem..... Resetting gauge needles....... Take photos of all needles (Hot and Cold). Oil Pressure; Water Temperature; Fuel; Volt Meter

When I was ready to set the needles up I used an OBD2 Scan tool (purchased from Amazon for around £13-00 and download some different software http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/vehicle-list-compatible-obd2.php?brand=nissan), which allowed me to reset the water temperature once the car was up to temperature and to reset the rev counter.

Then to reset the speedo, you need to take it for a little drive (clear straight road). Set your cruise control to 20; 30; 40 < mph

I have a guide from a guy in the states which tells you how to do it, which I can email across if you PM me your email, this guide comes from Gauge Craft. Check out his work on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterPatchbay.

I purchased the gauges from http://www.blackcatcustom.com/ (delivered in around 3-4weeks after order was placed, 21days for manufacture and 1wk for shipping). They cost around £60 - £80.00.

If you are not too far from Hull, I would be happy to lend a helping hand :).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have finally had a little time to start mocking up and installing some parts for the supercharged zed. Wooohooo...

I started with modifying and installing wiring required for the boost gauge and oil temperature gauges. The location of these will be in keeping with the sleeper look i.e. cubby hole mounted. I now need to measure up and have a gauge pod manufactured to complete the interior install. I haven't yet routed the oil temperature sensor wiring and vacuum hose, and still open to suggestions to where the best location of these to be routed within the cabin i.e. needs to finish being neat and tidy.

IMG_20140831_194723.jpg

I have also received a cool little item...... OCC from Saikou Michi Co. which seems like a quality item. Its location is easy to mount, but it looks like I will have to make a little modification to the power steering hose which sits in the way of the drain valve of the catch can.

I need to order some new hose to allow routing from the PCV to the OCC and from the OCC to the intake manifold.....

IMG_20141025_144206.jpg

IMG_20141025_144054.jpg

IMG_20141025_145229.jpg

I will be removing the bumper tomorrow to measure up and locate the massive intercooler and oil cooler.

This picture doesn't really do the intercooler any justice, but it is huge.

IMG_20141025_194531.jpg

I will hopefully be carrying out the fuel system modification once I have a new fuel pump. I can imagine this is a bit of a nightmare to route all new return lines back to the tank. I have the CJM Stage 1 system. I believe that I should be ok to install this without a remap, as long as I set the regulator to the factory pressure.

I also think I need a few polished items under the bonnet as it looks horrible in the pictures, or maybe give it a clean.

Edit: and maybe some carbon goodies.

Edited by Mike_89
  • Like 1

welcome back, im currently in the middle of a shopping list now for my S/C build good to see another in the same boat as me :wacko: deep pockets is an understatement! il be updating my thread this week when some of the goodies turn up.

Your always shopping.

You coming round this week?

Some progress being made then Mike which is good. :clap:

I didn't mention it but I started my own build thread as my Zed is supercharged now so I thought I'd add all the pictures I've built up over the last year. B)

It's in the "members build" threads if you fancy a look, ...not got to the good bit yet but won't be long before I add those pictures. :thumbs:

Some progress being made then Mike which is good. :clap:

I didn't mention it but I started my own build thread as my Zed is supercharged now so I thought I'd add all the pictures I've built up over the last year. B)

It's in the "members build" threads if you fancy a look, ...not got to the good bit yet but won't be long before I add those pictures. :thumbs:

I have been itching to get started for sometime now, need to sort out the v2 ti-trim yet, but that should be straight after Christmas. Then will be going along to abbeys to get it sorted.

Just a lot of work to do before all that happens........

I will have a look now

It's great when you get going, although I found with mine that I have big progress sometimes, but with large gaps of inactivity in-between. I'm itching to unstick my current hiatus - last 10% seems to be taking 90% of the time - but thats all due to scheduling conflicts rather than actual technical issues* :lol:

Have you pushed on with your Arduino Due yet? I have started dabling with mine, and have been coding the display, including getting a ton independant of sensors together.. :thumbs:

*although ostrich sticks head in the sand and ignores potentially scary gearbox noises.. :scare:

Good to see your cracking on with it mate, Im having many large gaps of inactivity with mine at the moment, I keep laying everything out on the floor in the living room and just staring at it :lol: im putting one of my gauges in the door vent

Edited by jumping350

I am finding it difficult to progress with my digital dashboard as I am back at University now, so hopefully will find a little time over the Christmas break to progress. I contacted Nissan regarding their Consult II Protocol. They didn't understand what I was after at customer services. I asked for the engineering team etc. All I need is a schedule of, some sort with, all registers and descriptions. If I was designing a control system the client would ask for a list of all registers that are available in the control system. So would have thought it would've been a simply task for Nissan to provide this information.

There is a more of a hit it with a hammer and understand method, which would be to use a Consult II applicable software and monitor the RS-232 port, and record what the software is requesting. Then it is just a trail and error to get the registers correct.

It's great when you get going, although I found with mine that I have big progress sometimes, but with large gaps of inactivity in-between. I'm itching to unstick my current hiatus - last 10% seems to be taking 90% of the time - but thats all due to scheduling conflicts rather than actual technical issues* :lol:

Have you pushed on with your Arduino Due yet? I have started dabling with mine, and have been coding the display, including getting a ton independant of sensors together.. :thumbs:

*although ostrich sticks head in the sand and ignores potentially scary gearbox noises.. :scare:

I would like to see how you manage to install the gauges within the door vents, I assume you will be routing the wiring through the existing door loom.

Good to see your cracking on with it mate, Im having many large gaps of inactivity with mine at the moment, I keep laying everything out on the floor in the living room and just staring at it :lol: im putting one of my gauges in the door vent

I used an old door card I had to trim away some off the plastic with a dremel and jammed my oil temp gauge in for a snug fit, so hoping I can just use this one in my door card, yes route the wires through the existing door loom :thumbs:

Bit of a crap pic but you get the idea

IMG_0490_zpsf1187622.jpg

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I haven't had a great deal of time to progress with the supercharger build, due to work and university (exams). Now that I have a little spare time, I will be progressing with the build, hopefully for completion in the summer time as I don't fancy doing anything to the car while the weather is like it is.

I would like to say a BIG thank you to both Eve @ AQUAGRAPHIX and Jack @ ROYAL STEERING WHEELS for making this next little update happen. I am extremely happy with the results and I would recommend them to everybody who is looking at lifting the appearance of your zeds interior. There both exceptional at what they do, and no doubt I will be using their services in the near future.

IMG_20150303_073834.jpg

IMG_20150303_073852.jpg

IMG_20150303_073907.jpg

IMG_20150303_073925.jpg

IMG_20150303_073932.jpg

Edited by Mike_89
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well I haven't really been active on here that much over the last year.

I'll aim to get more details of the zed as its been supercharged for around 1 year now and all is well.

Edited by Mike_89

He pushed over 400 rwhp then trimmed back. The fuel pressure on was seen to run lean around 2krpm. So he said that will be cured once I install the damped rails.

So hopefully with the next set of upgrades I might be able to see 450 ish.