350Z Roadster S/C Build

Mike_89

well according to much research and theoretical calculations.......... zmanalex told me :lol: I have no idea why it does need baffling was going to google that tonight

From what I can gather reading the Vortech reliability thread ( http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/82588-vortech-supecharging-technical-and-reliability-thread/ ) GT4 Zed and Sam Mcgoo are both using the Rutland oil catch can/tanks.

From what I can tell it isn't baffled at all and the only problem mentioned is that GT4 Zed has had a slight leak on the bottom of his from where you drain the oil. :dry:

I am unsure why you would need a baffle in the catch tank. The only thing that I can find is that it is to prevent oil being drawn through the intake manifold, and only allowing vapours to flow through this system. Correct me if I am wrong about this. I haven't actually considered an Oil Catch Tank

they go a bit more into it here

http://www.350z-uk.c...ted-and-proven/

but that rutland one seems the way to go

Yeah the Rutland ones baffled as well so think that's what I'll get. :thumbs:

If they aren't baffled, the vapours aren't filtered or condensed out - so blow straight on by straight to plenum with no net effect.

Thanks for the heads up. ;)

me too..that settled that one then :lol:

:lol:

Ok, what's next?, :dry: ....is everyone going FI getting a fuel pressure regulator? :)

Hould be one in the FRS I thought?

The fuel pressure regulator is included in the likes of the AAM and CJM kits. Plus you get a little pressure gauge.

Edited by Mike_89

Ok, what's next?, :dry: ....is everyone going FI getting a fuel pressure regulator? :)

The fuel pressure regulator is included in the likes of the AAM and CJM kits.

I suppose you could replace it with an upgrade one with lots of taps - the AEM black for instance - but I'm sticking with the AAM basic personally.

The fuel pressure regulator is included in the likes of the AAM and CJM kits. Plus you get a little pressure gauge.

Awesome. :yahoo:

Ignore me then as I did not know that. :blush::lol:

Superglue and a larger spring/rubber washer can be used to make the rutland motors catch tank seal better at the bottom, or a tapered rubber plug otherwise it will draw air in from the bottom and blow oil out when in boost. But for the money/size they are hard to beat.

• Like 1

Superglue and a larger spring/rubber washer can be used to make the rutland motors catch tank seal better at the bottom, or a tapered rubber plug otherwise it will draw air in from the bottom and blow oil out when in boost. But for the money/size they are hard to beat.

Are you basically saying just to seal it up at the bottom then?

I think the glass part just unscrews so it can be emptied easily enough that way so it shouldn't matter about sealing up the bottom. Right?!

Thanks for any answers. :thumbs:

Edit: If that's the case I think I'll epoxy mine shut at the bottom.

Edited by GMballistic

Yeah it screws on and off, only thing to worry about is losing the o-ring that helps it seal. It's clear plastic so you can't break it. Think I was losing 1-2psi in boost through the dam thing at the bottom.

What did you do then?

Think what I'll do then is epoxy the bottom closed on mine when I get it so that nothing can escape through the bottom. Should be a good little OCC then. ;)

• 1 month later...

I thought I would provide a little update to things. I was a little bored this weekend, so I thought I would start to update the interior of the zed.I decide to tackle the lighting :).

So I began with the driver and passenger controls.

20140718_195533.jpg

20140718_195706.jpg

The lighting for the door mirrors is annoying me now. I thought it was an LED type, so I need to source a replacement in Blue.....

IMG_20140719_210618.jpg

IMG_20140719_210550.jpg

I then decided I would do the AC Controls, although I complete the main lighting and didn't do the pointers as I thought it would be too much all in blue, so just waiting for some red LEDs then I will update.

20140718_211059.jpg

IMG_20140719_210531.jpg

I thought I would stop there for the weekend and wait for the new LEDs to arrive, but I left it nearly 3hrs and decided I would do a little more. The next step to take was to update all the switches, this was a pain in the **se. The LEDs in these are so so small it took me ages.

I firstly tackled the switches with roof open/close; ESP; and headlight washers.

20140718_211126.jpg

20140719_150109.jpg

20140719_150036.jpg

IMG_20140719_210605.jpg

I then tackled the heated seat switches on the centre console. This was a pain also. I thought I may be able to get at these pretty easily, but end up with the whole dashboard out (this was the first time, it wasn't so bad).

20140718_211026.jpg

While I was in there I changed the position of the drivers side, as this has been doing my OCD in :D.

IMG_20140719_210545.jpg

I understand this isn't an update to my Supercharging venture, but it is all work in progress :). I am also waiting for a set of new gauges from the states to finish the gauge conversion.

• Like 1

Cheers bud.... It isn't too difficult if your handy with a soldering iron. I found the fiddly bit to be the switches, as it has a tiny LED

Separated Switch Unit

470c4cc1-1eee-4b9f-a213-524460f51092.jpg

with OEM LED

20140719_144653.jpg

with No LED

20140719_145148.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just another little update regarding the LED conversion. I thought I would get cracking on changing the LEDs in the gauges this weekend, as I am still waiting to receive the new gauges faces (Hopefully I should receive them this week).

NewGaugeFaces.jpg

I changed the pointer LEDs in the HVAC Controls.

IMG_20140817_1839201.jpg

IMG_20140817_1943541.jpg

I then began converting the LEDs for the Centre Cluster Gauges.

Voltage Meter LEDs.

IMG_20140825_1735591.jpg

Oil Pressure Meter Pointer LED.

IMG_20140825_1745151.jpg

Oil Pressure Meter LED.

IMG_20140825_1753171.jpg

LCD LEDs.

IMG_20140825_1815181.jpg

Gauge Housing installed (Really need to get the new faces installed as the Blue LEDs do not show through these faces).

IMG_20140825_1820371.jpg

LCD screen installed

IMG_20140825_1905021.jpg

LED Conversion complete.

As you can see the blue doesn't show through these gauge faces. So I will post additional pictures up once I have installed the new faces :).

IMG_20140825_1913561.jpg