Oil catch can. Tested and proven*****

GT4 Zed

I have been wanting an oil catch can for sometime but put off by the cost of a proper baffled OCC like ARC or mostly custom racing cans from a few motorsports companies here in the UK or US. I my extensive research I came across http://www.saikoumichi.com based in the states who makes one of the best custom and baffled OCC in the states but as everything is built to order with a long waiting list it takes about 4weeks from order to delivery in the UK. Then I came accross an Ebay seller who makes a cleverly designed and baffled OCC with a nice bracket and pipe clips. At £25 +£5 del (excluding pipework) it was worth a go rather than wasting money on cusco, greedy etc OCC or similar eBay copies which donot "catch" any oil and are just engine bay bling.

When the OCC arrived I was very impressed and the small size and the design of the baffle/filter but realised the fitting were too small to match that of the zed. So I did not despair and took it to my local engineering shop and got it remachined to allow fitmemt of bigger ID fitting and also matched the passage ways for good flow unrestricted flow through the can. Next I got some clear tubing and bigger pipe clips and could finally install the OCC.

Components as delivered from the seller. Note small diameter brass fitting. Lovely bracket.

100c66e0.jpg

Modified with larger fittings: pics can show the internal machining with retapping new threads to match the fittings. I am always impressed with Jim(engineer) though he is very slow but always does a precison job.

70716bec.jpg

6a083925.jpg

Close up of baffle or filter system. Its high temp microporous plastic. Traps the oil droplet as its squeezes through into the glass canister. Does not require changing :thumbs: To empty the OCC you just need to press the heavy duty spring loaded nipple at the bottom and collect the oil in a pan and either discard or tip it into the oil filler ;)

1f4615ee.jpg

6d6d7de8.jpg

d669699a.jpg

70716bec.jpg

Ready for reassembly. Used clear pipes first to see if the outlet pipe stayed clean of oil therefore the OCC was doing its job.

de376a2f.jpg

Preassembled:

6ebad1a7.jpg

Installed and iddled for 30mins. No leaks all good. You can see the discolouration from oil on the clear pipe from breather vent into the OCC. also noticed the clear tubing softens with heat and tends to collapse as the revs rise since the intake builds very strong vacuum.

3940fc8b.jpg

After aprox 1k miles: first it works! Secondly the outlet pipe is clean.

82c8c6e4.jpg

0a5c5987.jpg

Close up of inlet and outlet pipes:

Clean outlet.

19e57375.jpg

Dirty inlet!. See outlet pipe in background ;)

599e7bc2.jpg

Final install with With proper high pressure/temp hose: I have run the inlet pipe long so it cools the vented vapours and helps to precipitate it into droplets and make the filter/ baffle even more effect. That's the theory :teeth: See hope the bracket is installed. Looks OEM and does not interfere with anything.

55ccebd9.jpg

418b6259.jpg

To remove any confusion. On the left is the OCC outlet which goes into the port of the kinetix ssv plenum. For those with OEM plenum it's at the left lower front part of the lower pleum collector. The pipe on the right is the OCC inlet pipe and it's from the breather vent. On the OCC is an arrow which reminds you of which OCC port is in and out:)).

ee4c1a6a.jpg

Impressions:

It works :yahoo: Fitted like OEM using the PAS bracket. Caught about 3-5mls of oil in 1k mile keeping my plenum clean and improving engine combustion and therefore power. I am satisfied that I will keep my vortech IC oil free which is not uncommon :surrender:

And finally even including experimenting/purchasing the pipework, pipe clips, washers/bolt and machining, it's all cost about £60(way cheaper, smaller than ARC or the custom stuff I found) and it's been fun actually proving it works.

I would be willing to do a small run of 5-10 OCC for those who want this and take out the headaches as I know exactly what is required to fit this in the zed :D

It would be delivered:

-OCC purchased from seller and machined with the correct brass fittings installed with high temp RTV sealant( not ptfe tape as done by seller)

-pipework(1m lenght plain black reinforced oil/fuel hose like I used - only .5m required if routed like I did). Can get various colors of reinforced silicon at small extra cost if needed.

-pipe fitting(x4)

and a guide where/how to install the bracket and the whole kit.

Should be doable for £50/55 delivered UK mainland depending on numbers. If there is interest I'll run a GB.

If you want to buy bling stuff like the cusco's or other branded bling or Ebay replica cans that are not baffled and donot catch nada do so knowingly. See below a pic contributed by a member here of a bling type cusco OCC. its never caught any oil and you can clearly see both pipe are oil stained as the vapour just pass through. Secondly the tube gauge will be a source of vacuum leak especially if boosted!!

1f4e56e2.jpg

• Like 1

Dave you are nuts :lol:

Darren, it's a good bit of kit but I guess if you got the on eith the 12mm braket you can use a reducer to bring it down to 10mm or you will need to machine the port on the standard kit to accept a 10mm hose which is what the zed has. Donot use cheap hoses as I was amazed at how much vacuum even the engine makes in NA guise. Secondly catching the pcv side which goes into the intake tube is not necessary as there is very little oil in the blowby. I've read several threads in the states confirming this and I rechecked my TB butterfly after cleaning it and it is still pristine.

74f892d5.jpg

Dave you are nuts :lol:

Darren, it's a good bit of kit but I guess if you got the on eith the 12mm braket you can use a reducer to bring it down to 10mm or you will need to machine the port on the standard kit to accept a 10mm hose which is what the zed has. Donot use cheap hoses as I was amazed at how much vacuum even the engine makes in NA guise. Secondly catching the pcv side which goes into the intake tube is not necessary as there is very little oil in the blowby. I've read several threads in the states confirming this and I rechecked my TB butterfly after cleaning it and it is still pristine.

74f892d5.jpg

I ordered the kit with 10mm fittings as I measured the stock fittings prior to ordering ;)

I`m not sure as to if I should fit a 1way valve after the baffle as mine will be making positive pressure from the plenum, don`t really want the crap oil going back in, but I can`t really see much escaping tbh

With the PCV side, on the vortech setup it is re0routed to the intake filter before the blower, I`m going to keep an eye on this, mine has never blown any oil through to the TB in the NA setup but if it starts I`ll remove it from the filter & just stick a mini K&N on the end of the rocker cover

I dont think you need a valve because i'm think you will pressure within the breather system will be greater. My basis for ths thinking is that even those who have FI-ed the zed with no catch can and standard plenums with routing tend to see oil in the plenum and in bad cases in the intercooler so it must suggest the pressure gradient is from vent into intake ;) Secondly the OCC design in itself is like a valve unless it is full with oil it can get back though the filter back into the crank. Just play it by ear and see what is what. I will look into my350 is anyone has a problem like this but even Djtimo who has 2 seperate OCC for both sides has no experinced or reported this.

I did order 10mm fittings and even called him on the phone to clarify and he suggested he can do this( his advert suggest he can do up to 12mm). I even enquired about 15-16mm to catch the PCV vent just for extra assurance and to remotely monitor what my rings where doing because if you started to see more oil and also loose compression/ran rough then it would suggest they have cracked or something pre-catastrohic was about to happen :scare:

However when the OCC cam it was 6mm. You can see he lists the zed and other nissans and evo as needing 12mm fittings :shrug: I told him this and he apologised and asked me to send him pics of the machined OCC i had done and how i did it which leads me to thing they are not manufactured here ;) So until you get yours and they are 10mm fittings donot rejoice to quickly. anyway its not too hard to machine as its ali and if you have a good machinist :thumbs:

What is the benefit of an oil catch can?

I take it that the oil from the crank case breather would normaly be taken back into the engine via the intake and burnt.

Does the small amount of oil being burnt really effect engine performance?

What is the benefit of an oil catch can?

I take it that the oil from the crank case breather would normaly be taken back into the engine via the intake and burnt.

Does the small amount of oil being burnt really effect engine performance?

Not likely unless you are a race team, but equally theres no harm in fitting it either. I think for FI there is more chance of oil being in there if running high boost, so it just keeps the engine a bit cleaner.

• 4 weeks later...

No shame here!!! :lol::lol: Did mine on Friday :D

ps2012-07.jpg

Great job Bennett, I have not got a flipping clue what it does or why I would need it but well done for those that do know and do want one :thumbs:

And well done for shaming the bling boys :lol::lol::lol: