Biting the Bullet - Doing the clutch.

-Bradders-

Cheers guys! We did wittle it down to maybe the flywheel wasnt timed up and ir not on correctly. It starts most times after a few seconds but squeals and squeeks and you can smell a heated metal smell. I just kinda feel like i should give it to someone else and pay them to do it but i kniw alot of people are fussy when it comes to fixing other peoples mistakes. One thing i can get it into gear and i am able to drive it backwards and firwards before it bogs down and cuts out. It took us about 4 hours to get the box out and change everything over but we spent a total of 9 hours with all the chatting eating etc.. The box was a major struggle to get back on, after about the 400th time of turning the splines it went to about half a cm away and we done it up with the bolts. Ive got no help today so cant have another look. It was hard enough doing it 2ft off the ground :( one great acheivement is that we was left with 0 spare bolts which i have never managed before ha! I dont mind bunging someone a couple quid if they wanted to help but i cant even drive it to another garage now as its undrivable. Fml.

Edited by -Bradders-

You may have crushed the spigot bearing - opps

PM me your post code - just so I can see how far away you are :thumbs:

I don't like the squealing and the hot metal smell :scare:

Turning the splines only helps when lining up the propshaft - there are no splines on the primary drive shaft to line up it's a smooth rod into the spigot bearing on the flywheel.

Did you top the oil up in the gearbox after fitting? did you loose any??

Did you change the thrust bearing?

• Like 1

Literally lost the tiniest bit of oil like 1 run down my arm not even enough to get to the floor lol. Yeah done thrust bearing. Damaged that first getting it on the old centre piece but it was fine after but im going to pick up another one today just to eliminate anything. Im located in E6 3HU. Cheers

Ref my earlier - I assume you were referring to the splines on the clutch plate lining up - but I've never had to do that they always just line themselves up - maybe she was still in gear?

Your on the wrong side of London from me for a "quick" pop over and help - sorry ;(

Just not sure what to suggest as to what went wrong - done a few on axle stands now not easy but not impossible - we use a spare trolley jack to take the weight and 2 under to slide the box in.

I know its a pain but its time to regroup and wait until you have someone to help you. Judging by what your saying its going to have to come out again.

New spigot bearing as a minimum and also have a look at the flywheel and get it fitted correctly.

If you see witness marks where metal has rubbed against metal then take some pictures and put them up on here so we can see what the damage is.

It would be better to make sure that what you are putting back in is ok as you dont want to be doing it a third time.

Its all do-able mate just an inconvieince as you need to wait until your mates are free but take heart its gonna be great when you`ve got it done. It might just cost a couple of quid more on some bits. Hang in there bud :thumbs:

Taking a crack at it again tomorrow. Cant get any of the bearings in time so hopefully its just the flywheel on wrong but ill have to see! Anyone can feel free to pop to the above postcode lol food will be provided!!

Edited by -Bradders-

Bro, i got this.

LOL!

Ok so i've destressed now, and myself and my dad made a start yesterday about 3:30pm mike turned up about half hour into it and didnt really need to do too much, wow, friday night we had far too many people on the car trying to do different things and we started at 7pm and it took until it was dark to get it off, yesterday, within mike being there for 10-15 mins, we had the whole box removed and off the car, took a total of 45 minutes and that was taking our time. ok so now we've made an even bigger boo boo, dad not thinking at the time when we put it on the first time, used the snap on gun to put the flywheel bolts on.... oops, now taking them out again, as a result this has happened...

20140518_182102_zpsetvfvhzk.jpg

20140518_182055_zpswhbh38sx.jpg

Oops! so we left it at that.

The main issues where the timing was not right, gutted as it was only 1 bolt out lol so close to being right haha! and the noise was the thrust bearing that we had damaged in the process.

So todays job, ordered new thrust, and drill bit to remove the broken bolts and no we already tried everything, mole grips the lot. nothing would budge the bolts, they are wayyy over tightened and i think the head has caused them to mold themselves in lol! but hey im a happy bunny, now i know how to do it, i can get the box off just me and dad in about half hour! and it should be straight forward getting it all back together once the bolts are out! no other bearings are damaged :) happy days!

Heres it all out:

20140518_184146_zpsobuio5f8.jpg

Can now also see what Darren first explained about the Y pipe and a melted carrier bag lol.

Edited by -Bradders-
  • Like 1

Also does anyone know, can you change that whole center part? the part with the bolts in it? is it a hard job? and where would i get the part, only nissan?

The part that you refer to is the crankshaft and I have 5 x preowned in stock, however that is not the way to go.

You will have to be extremely diligent with the removal of the broken bolts because if you fook up, this could get very messy and expensive.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Plenty preowned in stock.

If I ship today they will be with you tomorrow morning.

I don't see the rush, as I doubt if you will have the broken bolts out by then.

PM me if I can help further.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

Listen to Alex.

Personally I think I'd look to cut my losses here and get a profession to help. IMHO.

He Who Dares Wins... :thumbs:

But sometimes loses as the case to date would seem to indicate :shrug:

• Like 1

Listen to Alex.

Personally I think I'd look to cut my losses here and get a profession to help. IMHO.

He Who Dares Wins... :thumbs:

But sometimes loses as the case to date would seem to indicate :shrug:

If at first you don't succeed try and try again..!!.. :thumbs:

• Like 1