Poorly Z........worried (gulp)

Kraziekatz1

So hubby (Al350 as we shall now call him) took Z to work yesterday and said on the way home she sounded very sick indeed. Apparently she was making a lot of rattling noises from underneath so I am assuming exhaust (?). Have just dropped her off at the garage......very worried :(

Waiting to hear from garage.......

I had a rattle from underneath and it was a knackered rear heat shield. Ripped that badboy off and all was well!! Didnt cost a penny.

If the exhaust is knackered at least you get to buy a brand new aftermarket one!!

I had a rattle from underneath and it was a knackered rear heat shield. Ripped that badboy off and all was well!! Didnt cost a penny.

If the exhaust is knackered at least you get to buy a brand new aftermarket one!!

If it was the rear heat shield where would you hear the noise? As the the sound is from the front end....sort of under the gearbox area.

It already is an aftermarket exhaust....Scorpion Backbox with Cobra Y Pipe and I absolutely love the sound, so really don't want it to need replacing.

OP is this the same hubby that washed and scratched your car? Or am I thinking of someone else?

No, not him......he wouldn't still be alive if he had!

Edited by Kraziekatz1

OP is this the same hubby that washed and scratched your car? Or am I thinking of someone else?

You have 2 husbands ???? :scare:

Hope it's just a heat shield and you get it sorted quickly :thumbs:

• Like 2

You have 2 husbands ???? :scare:

Hope it's just a heat shield and you get it sorted quickly :thumbs:

Haha...yes. But only one is alive........Mwah hahaha

If it's from gearbox area, then it could be the heat shield on the Y-pipe

So, this heat shield thing. I presume it is some NASA-based technology to shield something from heat? Vital component? Do I need to replace it?

Garage is also going to look at the Drop links and bushes while he's got it up on the ramp......that the other noise hubby has been complaining about. Knocking on driver's side when he goes over bumps. Think I may need to ban him from driving the Z.....

• Like 1

Or it could be the heat shields that go around the cats, they tend to fall apart and make all sorts of noises

It's been de-cat'd...so would the shields still be there. Trouble is the car is so low to the ground I couldn't get underneath it to look, hence leaving it at the garage to put up on the ramps.

Hope its nothing too serious!

Could potentially be a heat shield as the other guys have said. Also could be something inside the exhaust? For example silenced decats spitting out there insides.

You don't need the heat shields BTW :)

Hope it's something simple (like a heatshield) and nothing serious.

I'd definitely hide the Zed keys from hubby. :)

Thanks, fingers crossed.

Hehe....yes, but I have to be careful now he's joined the forum....he'll probably make up lots of stories about my driving (all untrue, of course :blush: )

Also could be something inside the exhaust? For example silenced decats spitting out there insides.

OK, what does that mean? Would that explain why it all sounded fine when I drove it?

Its pretty unlikely TBH, that said finding out a bottom end rattle is only heatshields is about the same as hearing your house has burned down and turning up to find out it was only a barbecue in next doors garden ;)

• Like 2

Also could be something inside the exhaust? For example silenced decats spitting out there insides.

OK, what does that mean? Would that explain why it all sounded fine when I drove it?

Basically inside the decats there is a honeycombe like material which reduces the noise. I have heard this can sometimes fail and rattle around inside the exhaust.

Have you been keeping an eye on the oil?!

Basically inside the decats there is a honeycombe like material which reduces the noise. I have heard this can sometimes fail and rattle around inside the exhaust.

Yes, Dad....250ml of the best money could buy (or the stuff you told us to get) went in about 2 wks ago ;)

• Like 1

There was mention of knocking going over bumps, could it be a lower arm bush ???

Possibly, although I think that these were replaced not that long ago. Garage is going to have a look at that as well....trouble is the mechanic is doing it all as a favour to me and therefore I feel I can't bother him too much to for an answer :(

yeah mine was rear heatshield but it made such a racket that I wasnt sure at first where it was coming from.

Mechanic will know straight away if its loose shield or exhaust, really hope it's nothing gearbox related.

Yes, Dad....250ml of the best money could buy (or the stuff you told us to get) went in about 2 wks ago ;)

Good girl ;)

Fingers crossed its a cheap fix!

• Like 1

Ok, garage phoned.......heat shield looks good, as does exhaust, brackets, flange. Drop links, lower arm bush, ball joint, coil springs all look good also. Am happy but stumped.

Going to run the Z to work tomorrow and see how it is......maybe it just doesn't like being driven by hubby lol

370Ad......mechanic said that he could see the car had really been taken care of B) Naturally I took full credit :D

• Like 1

Good girl ;)

Fingers crossed its a cheap fix!

No charge.....see being a girly has it's advantages sometimes :dance: