370z auto vs PDK and DCT

Kev

ive come from a DSG gearbox and ive also driven a PDK and the first difference is that the 370z is not a dual clutch system like the DSG/DCT/PDK

shifts are fast but not instant, they are jerky and you can feel the shift. this is more noticeable in manual mode (paddles) and also higher up in the rev range.

downshifts are nice, you get the same rev-matching as the DSG

ive driven other non-dual clutch autos, e.g. in the Mercedes c63 and also the non-DCT BMWs and also non-DSG Audi and I would say the 370z has one of the best non-dual clutch gearboxes.

there is no 'lag' between hitting a paddle and shifting. and you can actually downshift 2 or more gears faster than a DSG would.

in short, its very good (better than the c63) but not as good as a dual-clutch (which is only available on the GTR)

• Like 1

Ditto with the above . My daily has the 7 speed dry clutch VW dsg widely reported to be one of the best around and can honestly say the 370 box is a match for it . There are pros and cons to both but I really rate the nissan box .

• Like 1

You see, I wanted the auto but didn't get on the paddles and general system :( , so went manual, which I find slushy.

Unfortunately I was comparing it to my mates 135i DCT system which is silly good.

The new ZF autos are very, very good. Nearly 1st gen dual clutch good.

If you've never tried a dual clutcher, you'd be really happy with it. Once you have though, you can almost count the seconds between gear changes.

Love the paddle shift on my 7AT 370z.

If anyone wants to test it in Wales, come and see me :)

I'd like to try the paddle shift - but the idea of seeing you put me off :p