Port and polish TB's, manifold and lower manifold.

synolimit

Couldn't cut and paste and to lazy to rewrite it haha. I know shipping to you all won't be cost effective but I'm sure you guys can find a porter in the UK. Just a big FYI for you guys incase you need more power for NA Z. Dynoing will happen soon with tuning. Parts are done and ready for pick up.

http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaust/86210-port-polish-tbs-manifold-lower-manifold-ips-motorsports.html

imagejpg1_zpsec560570.jpg

Prelim pics

image_zps0c75c41a.jpg

image_zps46f1aa3f.jpg

image_zpsa42ca086.jpg

image_zps37bcffa1.jpg

image_zps7ec7d5e4.jpg

image_zps8fd40e3e.jpg

image_zps2a58e364.jpg

image_zpsc5f8be48.jpg

image_zpsb1793e51.jpg

image_zpse5b99f66.jpg

Edited by synolimit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not happy with the TB's. Getting them sent out to be done for real this time. Full CNC port with new butterfly plate. I thought I was getting some porting but he just polished it and profiled the butterfly shaft. OEM is 2.6" tapering down to 2.35" at the plate then back up to 2.39". The manifold is 2.5" so the new CNC TB will be 2.5" through and through. Dyno to come shortly.

imagejpg1_zpsc08417f6.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsa6b016db.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9acb511a.jpg

imagejpg6_zps11072f87.jpg

imagejpg5_zps49834ac7.jpg

imagejpg4_zpse881b1ed.jpg

imagejpg7_zps5f5cd1ea.jpg

imagejpg8_zps66501ef9.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsff3152cb.jpg

imagejpg10_zps9145f737.jpg

imagejpg11_zps039652d5.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely pics, this is something I want to get done on my car, I'm sure it will be more beneficial than a re-map!

Not for me it wouldn't.

Besides often giving a slight BHP boost on a OEM car a remap would transform the way the car feels to drive and pulls.

Combined this work with a re-map and you'll see the benefits of both magnified by each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok TB's are in.

So front lips gone to 2.64" and tapers down into the center but now there's no more lip. The middle went to 2.51" as far as my calipers can get in from the front. 2.49" now on the back lip which now looks port matched to the manifold!!!! I might have a little sanding to do on the mani, won't know till I bolt them up. And as far as I can get in on the back side closest to the butterfly, it's now 2.48"!

So before 2.6 to 2.5 but then 2.5 down to 2.35 at the butterfly, then back up to only 2.39 at the mani.

Now 2.64 to 2.51 but only down to 2.48 at the butterfly, then to 2.49 at the mani.

I wish the new butterfly was knife edged though.

imagejpg2_zps94086b1d.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsf115a097.jpg

imagejpg3_zps48a44ef5.jpg

imagejpg4_zps618f738f.jpg

imagejpg5_zps1d6cec99.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I did the swap last night. Just wanted to show more pics and info regarding the before and after of all the parts side by side.

First up the weight of the ported lower vs unported, 5.80lbs vs 6.04lbs. So clearly some weight loss of material.

Next, the openings at the bottom of the runners running in both directions, 1.53" vs 1.43" is where the bump is that the injector is slid into. Clearly with the bump gone its opened up quite a bit!! The other way it not as much opened at 1.99" vs 1.98".

imagejpg4_zpsa70f195f.jpg

imagejpg6_zps18b0c01d.jpg

imagejpg3_zps9e5cef50.jpg

imagejpg5_zps5ee7859f.jpg

Next, the openings at the top of the lower mani are 1.70" vs 1.70" and 1.53" vs 1.52". The reason the upper part didn't open that much (only 0.01") is because every part on the intake system starts smaller at the TB then gets bigger for the next item. This is because nissan wants the parts to never have to "hit a lip" with air flow. It's better for flow to go through a small space and open into a larger one, than flowing through a bigger opening then hit a lip of metal of the lower mani and cause a bunch of turbulence. So the lower mani's upper part wasn't touched much because the upper mani is what got ported to be port matched to the lower. And looking at the pics with upper mani's gasket system we couldn't port more of it or we'd of ported into the gasket space destroying the upper mani.

imagejpg1_zps32f4ce7d.jpg

imagejpg2_zps05ff89e1.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbc83f9ed.jpg

Next, 1.86lbs vs 1.92lbs of each TB.

imagejpg6_zpsa081bbef.jpg

imagejpg5_zps2907fe92.jpg

Next, upper mani's weight, 7.90lbs vs 7.16lbs. Now why is the ported mani heavier than the unported? Well the ported one is off a g37. They for some reason give it very long cylinders where the bolts go through adding mass and needing longer bolts. They also use brass vs what looks like titanium on my 13 mani!! All my silver looking threaded parts are rainbow colored like when titanium heats up.

imagejpg11_zps013dcbb5.jpg

imagejpg10_zps79f9f692.jpg

imagejpg1_zps15c21fd1.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9a4b21dc.jpg

Next, the upper mani runners going in both directions, 1.85" vs 1.82" and 1.56" vs 1.50". Now you'll ask yourself these numbers don't match the numbers above for where it bolts to the lower mani's openings. That's because I didn't measure the exact opening of each item. I stuck my calipers down inside so they laid flat on the parts surface and measured wherever the tips made contact. This just insured a proper measure of each item. The calipers tips are like a 0.5" long so its inside more but i looked and each part is flow matched 100%. You can also see some horrible lips on the unported mani that needed to go away.

imagejpg2_zpsbab0aa9d.jpg

imagejpg7_zps95fdd7cd.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3f47b629.jpg

Last, the opening of the TB hole on the mani. 2.47" vs 2.46". Again, because of flow its the TB that got all the porting and not the item it sits on. The TB is 100% port matched now to the upper mani.

On a side note. One thing I hate is the oil in the system! I'm not even boosted and oil comes out of the gaskets of the lower mani to head and injector o-rings. Just nasty stuff. I need to have my catch can running to atmos.

imagejpg3_zps3475cfc2.jpg

imagejpg4_zps5d6e1b5c.jpg

• Like 2

Well here's the before...tuning is tomorrow!

This was long tube headers added and smooth post MAF tubes with no tune.

Peak power was 13hp and 17tq but mid range gained anywhere from 11-17hp and 18-19tq. 293hp 243tq.

image_zps65d85e9b.jpg

image_zps3096e23d.jpg

image_zpsa0643479.jpg

Edited by synolimit

Nice work but too much effort or cost for the gains. But if its a DIY it's another brainer along with cams, equal length short or long tube headers and decats with tune exhaust system.

How do you mean? I bought spares and have already sold my OEM parts and sold for slightly more so I made a little bit of money. Then the porting was $199 for the Tb's, $90 for the lower mani and $260 for the upper mani. The Z1 upper mani is $295 and the motordyne mani is $540. So I've spent less then all of them. I'm sure I'll get the same gains out if the upper mani as Z1 and for only $289 on the other two I think its very much worth it. Where else you going to get power out of a NA Z for only $289? Even if its only 5hp, that's a great price to pay.

• Like 3

In that case it's a win win my friendðŸ‘. If one were to try it here in the UK the labour cost will be exorbitant and it will be unlikely you can offset the cost will selling the OEM parts. I assumed you were in the UK👀.

So if you can get all three ported for a DE how much would you charge on exchange basis? If you get good gains and it isn't over the top money id be very interested in having all three off you! Gives me an excuse to finally buy that injen at the same time :lol: then go get it mapped for the 3rd time! :roll:

I sold my OEM for $100 each TB, lower was $225 and upper was $225. I exchange for $95 each TB, and $215 for both manifolds. So I'm making a whopping $10 each item. So in the end all you're paying for is shipping, handling and porting.

In that case it's a win win my friendí ½í±. If one were to try it here in the UK the labour cost will be exorbitant and it will be unlikely you can offset the cost will selling the OEM parts. I assumed you were in the UK👀.

Why's labor so much in the UK? Hand porting the lower and upper manifold here in the US is anywhere from $30-$50 an hour which isn't to bad. The guy who CNC the TB's is only $199 plus $70 if you machine the butterfly shaft with new flat headed screws.

In that case it's a win win my friendðŸ‘. If one were to try it here in the UK the labour cost will be exorbitant and it will be unlikely you can offset the cost will selling the OEM parts. I assumed you were in the UK👀.

Why's labor so much in the UK? Hand porting the lower and upper manifold here in the US is anywhere from $30-$50 an hour which isn't to bad. The guy who CNC the TB's is only $199 plus $70 if you machine the butterfly shaft with new flat headed screws.

Some country over the pond somewhere eviscerated the world's economy so we all have to charge a fortune to make a living now. :p

• Like 2

I have a spare HR lower manifold!

As far as I could see, there wasn't much to be taken off the ports, some slight casting marks, maybe a little more flow on the backside (as the castings for the plenum mounting screws protrude) and a perhaps some from the injector ports.

The problem I see though is taking too much material from the injector ports. If you do, the air may not flow correctly for the fuel injector spray pattern.

Also, if you don't match the cylinder head ports to the newly ported manifold, the flow will actually be worse.

Proceed with caution!

Edited by Dave Bull

I have a spare HR lower manifold!

As far as I could see, there wasn't much to be taken off the ports, some slight casting marks, maybe a little more flow on the backside (as the castings for the plenum mounting screws protrude) and a perhaps some from the injector ports.

The problem I see though is taking too much material from the injector ports. If you do, the air may not flow correctly for the fuel injector spray pattern.

Also, if you don't match the cylinder head ports to the newly ported manifold, the flow will actually be worse.

Proceed with caution!

Since you can't pull the heads we left the head side alone. When I went to install it I saw a clear 1/16-1/8" of material that could have been removed to port match the lower to the heads. Wish I would have but o well.

As far as air going into the cylinder with the injector part, I'm not worried. The air and fuel have lots to go still and mix before the get into the motor. The heads will do this fine.

• Like 1