De

stuarty

Lol, ok here's the question I asked!

I've been thinking about what charity to donate to on a monthly basis. The only thing is that I feel that some charities pay their Chief Executives too high a salary, but as I don't understand the day to day work of a charity's Chief executive i thought I would post on here for some advice.

A quick google and I found these articles.

http://www.dailymail...ed-say-MPs.html

http://www.telegraph...han-100000.html

Now i understand that charities are a real lifeline for thousands of families every year but I need some clarification on these salaries before I part with my hard earned cash.

One other thing is that my sister does lots of charity work for cancer research and raises thousands every year. But I watched the news tonight and there was a story about a pharmaceutical company charging £90,000 per patient for there drug which can extend a patients life by 6 months. The drug has now been removed from the list of drugs that the NHS is willing to fund due to its expense.

My question is, what's the chances of this particular pharmaceutical company receiving funds raised by public charity work and then manufacturing there drug and charging the NHS a fortune for it?

^^ That question doesn't even start with "De"! Not buying it. :lol:;)

I initially wrote deleted, lol but edited it.

There was a young guy on the news tonight whoops cancer (god bless him). He raised £1m for a cancer charity, so I googled the charity and they pay some of there staff between £100k and £110k a year and it's annual income us around £13m.

There was a young guy on the news tonight whoops cancer (god bless him). He raised £1m for a cancer charity, so I googled the charity and they pay some of there staff between £100k and £110k a year and it's annual income us around £13m.

I read that story too. Think he was only 19 years old and diagnosed with an untreatable cancer. :(

That's pretty shocking how much some of them get paid. Actually not shocking, more sickening. :nono:

I often ask myself if they actually have a cure for cancer, but it would not be financially beneficial to put it out there. How many scientists, charity workers etc would be out of work if a cure was found. I'm probably talking nonsense but it popped into my mind.

• Like 1

I read that story too. Think he was only 19 years old and diagnosed with an untreatable cancer. :(

That's pretty shocking how much some of them get paid. Actually not shocking, more sickening. :nono:

Yeah young guys on his death bed raising £1m for his charity but the bosses of the charity are being paid over £100k. But then again maybe the bosses raise millions by them selves every year, justifying there salaries.

I think it would help to know the work done by these people, someone has to manage the running of the charity 13m wont take care of itself, I'm not saying that salary figure is justified but it might be.

We touched on this when with the Rolls Royce programme thread. (Yes it turned to charity)

To reiterate my thoughts again, i donate to Air Ambulance, and Cancer Research, as well as the occasional good cause that maybe a friend does to raise money. I refuse to donate to firms like Oxfam, but them in particular. They have a nice swanky office tower next to the law firm owned by Tim Henmans dad, my mother in law works there, just outside central Oxford. You will find alot of large charities make stupid amounts of money. I stick to the ones that mean something to me, and I feel is a worth while cause, I also help my sister out with things if needed, as she is always on the borderline. I dont donate 10% of my salary to charity, but I feel I do enough.

• Like 1