Anyone have a link to a DIY / Guide/ How to - For Installing Steering wheel Buttons?

Chromatic

Hey guys,..

I have searched, and for whatever reason I can't find the guide I've run across before..

I am about to Tune my car.. and need the Cruise and Set buttons working to change maps.. I have them here, just need to install them. I know you need to remove the air bag to do so, so I'd like a guide on it to glance over before I start.. I've already grabbed the Torx bit set, and have the controls.. I just would rather glance at something before I get started.

I know one exists as I've seen enough to know that I need the Torx bit(s) to remove some parts.. I just can't find it again.

Any help? links? etc..

These are the buttons -- They go on both sides.. to replace the blank grey panels I have now... (They just plug into the factory harness as even the bases have them built in). (The flash tune will enable the cruise).

http://www.courtesyparts.com/25550n-switch-assy-steering-350z-z33-2006-centhusiatouringtrackgt-roadster-2007-centhusiatrack-roadster-p-614760.html?cPath=714_715_751_755&

cruise_buttons.jpg

I know it's fairly straightforward,.. but.. I would,

Appreciate any links, help, etc.

Thanks,

OMG, imagine what's next!

24 pages of write up on how to remove the 2 bolts on the steering wheel with 3 hours of documentary filmed over the next 6 months. :lol:

Octet I've decided you are nothing but a troll that puts a Smiley face next to your posts. You have not offered anything constructive in any of your posts in my threads. If it bothers you that I write lengthy posts and film things.. there is an easy way around that.. Don't look at it. I haven't said much so far, but this is like the 4th+ time you've commented with the exact same point.

• Like 8

So if that's the case then that even the base models have the plug for them that if you plug in the side with the cruise control then it will work if it was just a blank one before?

That would be useful as my JDM has an equivalent to GT spec apart from the cruise.

If it works let me know it might be worth the investment.

I really didn't know it was that easy to get the cruise controls working!!

If I'd on known this I'd of fitted it before my car got wrote off!!!!!

Just out of interest is it just plug and play with it to get it working?

24 pages of write up on how to remove the 2 bolts on the steering wheel with 3 hours of documentary filmed over the next 6 months. :lol:

Octet I've decided you are nothing but a troll that puts a Smiley face next to your posts. You have not offered anything constructive in any of your posts in my threads. If it bothers you that I write lengthy posts and film things.. there is an easy way around that.. Don't look at it. I haven't said much so far, but this is like the 4th+ time you've commented with the exact same point.

10/4

What we could do, is do a build thread that is over 50pages long, with only maybe 2 pages that are actually related to the build of the car,the rest being just spam

Edited by Daryl

10/4

2478341.jpg

• Like 1

10/4

What we could do, is do a build thread that is over 50pages long, with only maybe 2 pages that are actually related to the build of the car,the rest being just spam

Those parts are much cheaper than I thought, plus they're the better ones which are illuminated, wish these could be retro-fitted to the older cars such as mine.

Exactly.. I only was just told the 03-05 or so 350's steering controls don't light up.. So it would cost you exactly $54.96 (US) to have controls on both sides and have them lit up (providing the older plug is similar enough to the 06+.. I would imagine the lights just work off the power the rest of it does.. It's cheap enough for someone to attempt I suppose. Frankly, with as many enthusiasts are out there I bet a search would net someone who has tried "successfully, or unsuccessfully" to do so already. I think I'd pay $50 US for illuminated controls and having them spread out (on both sides of the wheel).. Again, the input/output plug may not be that "easy" where you just spend $50 and spend 10 minutes taking off old, putting on new.. and it all works.

Though.. I just took a base model with no cruise, etc.. and in under 20-30 minutes had all the hardware in, including pedal circuits etc..

I had to make a slight adjustment to the steering wheel after the first attempt as I drove it the wheel was about 1" off center... and I immediately turned around.. used a flathead screw driver and a mini torx driver (REALLY comes in handy to remove those side bolts without stripping).. and use my cordless impact gun (super handy/variable/and not too much torque) to take the entire steering wheel off, airbag back out.. (well wheel tech. didn't have to come off.. but it was same procedure.) -- held the wheel in place with my knee's (when I pulled in the driveway I made sure I pulled in straight.. and so the wheel was offset by as much as it needed to be re-adjusted back to the center.) ---

Used the cordless impact 19mm socket/driver and zip zip .. fixed.. Point being, the second time took no more than 5 minutes , if that, to take all that off and back on.. and it's straight as a (insert something really straight ;) ) now.

As for the parts in total -- It really is inexpensive to fit a Base model for cruise.. only expensive part is the tune to flash ECU to a higher trim model so it knows to turn on the cruise function.

So it was $650 for me since I'm doing the work myself on tune (with a remote tuner in another state taking my datalogs and fine tuning the "tune" back and forth via Email.) etc..

That said, I've talked to him and he said he could/does offer just a tune flash for like $200 I think? And I have read elsewhere that is available.. which would obviously just flash your ECU to a higher trim but not change anything else from stock. So Cost = $300 for cruise (if you do your own labor on the controls, switches..) I think that's reasonable.

For anyone with a base who needs a tune anyways,.. well,.. the cruise is just a really nice 'extra' free benefit (aside from the $100 for parts). Honestly, I've said it before, but I use cruise so much that the $650+ parts is something I may have paid JUST for cruise ability much less a tune.

So if that's the case then that even the base models have the plug for them that if you plug in the side with the cruise control then it will work if it was just a blank one before?

That would be useful as my JDM has an equivalent to GT spec apart from the cruise.

If it works let me know it might be worth the investment.

Works fantastic! The work to add switches to clutch and brake pedals + Remove steering wheel and add in new buttons was SO much easier and less time consuming than I had in mind. I figured the pedal switches was going to be simple, and it was.. but I had a feeling the steering wheel might end up taking a few hours (As I tend to do with new projects).. but even with my relatively "slow" methodical way I do things the first time on my Zed (I check and triple check it all).. I still had all of that done in about 20 minutes. I was shocked ..

It all plugs right in.. everything is there waiting on you.. Unplug the old which is just a plug with a single red wire (for horn power I imagine) and a ground wire (that has a female spade).. Then plug in the new controls (both sides linked to one plug) -- into same plug.. plug in single new ground from it... And it's connected. No wiring, no cutting, etc. Reassemble .. and you are done.

Of course Base models need a Flash to tell them they are now a Touring/Enthusiast (higher trim model) but flashing the ECU took less than 120 seconds.. As I said above.. if anyone doesn't want a tune on their base, but does cruise with illuminated controls.. Uprev , I think, sells just cruise ROM's for much cheaper than a tune. And, some tuners who know about the cruise flash ability on 350's will sell you a License/and ROM for $200 IIRC, (it's no more than $300 I know.)

If the tuners there don't have this ability/or want to mess with it.. It makes no difference if you are in the UK and are doing something with a tuner from US.. I know the guy/place I use (remotely) would sell it to any of you guys for same price.. as it's all done via email. You may be able to get a ROM file for quite cheap from a tuner and then bring it in to a local tuner there and get them to flash it over for cruise ability (considering it's not really necessary to have the cable, software, etc JUST for cruise.)

I really didn't know it was that easy to get the cruise controls working!!

If I'd on known this I'd of fitted it before my car got wrote off!!!!!

Just out of interest is it just plug and play with it to get it working?

Yes.. just plug and play. (Though it does require a flash if you have a base model.. but as I said in past few posts.. a Tuner can get you a ROM file to flash over for less than half the price of an actual tune to add cruise ability (technically turning your ECU from a Base model into a Touring Model is all it's doing.).

For just retro - fitting on cars with cruise.. I can't say for 100% sure how that would work using the 2006+ illuminated , dual sided, controls. Though I'd be willing to bet if it's possible it's been done. And searchable online ;)

Let us know how you get on with the install. Would quite like illuminated steering wheel controls

Let us know how you get on with the install. Would quite like illuminated steering wheel controls

Check chromatic's build thread :thumbs:

Yup it's all in my build thread. I *try* to keep it less "spammy" and related to the car. If it's TOO much , I apologize.. sort of :D

In a little while I'm going to make a vid of the BCM functions and overall functions of Cipher.. has a sort of "cool factor" in a Gear/head dorky kind of way.. ;) ...and post it on the Build thread.

Here, for convenience: http://www.350z-uk.c...d-journallog/�� <--- Build thread. (which shows the steering wheel install, and outcome.)

Edited by Chromatic

Good job! This reminds me of a few years back, some vauxhalls had cruise enabled from factory but were just missing the switch built into the indicator stalk. 10 minutes to replace the switch was all that was required to enable cruise even on poverty spec models :D

I think they later realised the loophole they'd left and disabled cruise in the ECU on base spec models, which sounds like what Nissan have done.

Edited by pmorg4
  • Like 1

Good job! This reminds me of a few years back, some vauxhalls had cruise enabled from factory but were just missing the switch built into the indicator stalk. 10 minutes to replace the switch was all that was required to enable cruise even on poverty spec models :D

I think they later realised the loophole they'd left and disabled cruise in the ECU on base spec models, which sounds like what Nissan have done.

Thanks.. The whole process is really made out in the forums (not this one but some others) to seem much harder than it really is.. Takes a little planning and research.. but once you get the parts, and a tuner who's aware of flashing a base to enable cruise (or is willing to learn) you are golden. Yeah if Nissan didn't "disable" this in the ECU it would be super cheap. $100.

Still though, Nissan provided all the wiring and the computer still has all the "cruise" capability etc.. so that's pretty big. Otherwise they could have left out the wiring and it would need some aftermarket universal cruise that likely no one would do.

But still.. for a car that is 30-40k US,.. I just don't see the sense in not having Cruise as a Standard option in 2008 (my year).. or even 2003.. I mean this isn't a 15k brand new car.. it's a great value, even new, for what it is.. but it's not chump change lol. Seat warmers, leather, etc .. sure.. but Cruise? Come on Nissan! :D

Edited by Chromatic

Still though, Nissan provided all the wiring and the computer still has all the "cruise" capability etc.. so that's pretty big. Otherwise they could have left out the wiring and it would need some aftermarket universal cruise that likely no one would do.

But still.. for a car that is 30-40k US,.. I just don't see the sense in not having Cruise as a Standard option in 2008 (my year).. or even 2003.. I mean this isn't a 15k brand new car.. it's a great value, even new, for what it is.. but it's not chump change lol. Seat warmers, leather, etc .. sure.. but Cruise? Come on Nissan! :D

Having the wiring is a huge plus when doing this type of job, and it seems most manufacturers these days don't include unnecessary wiring for parts not installed. Nice that Nissan does!

Regarding standard fit options, it seems most manufacturers now make a substantial chunk of their earnings from options, hence why many models are pretty spartan, even expensive ones! You can spend a lot of money on a BMW or Porsche, and you'll still have very few toys unless you delve into the expensive options list. Interestingly, the "cheaper" brands such as Ford seem to fit far more standard equipment these days.