Any way my 370z can sound like this? Or how would you describe it's tone?

gstraw

Maybe a long shot but are there any exhausts out there that will make the zed have a similar tone albeit a bit quieter?

Problem I'm finding is that exhaust tones are so subjective when people describe them in a forum. Also when people take videos the mic quality really makes a massive difference. I've heard a lot of the same exhausts recorded by different people and they sound different.

So if I can't get this tone how would I describe it? Is it raspy?

Just to warn you this is a 5l supercharged jag! A 3.7l NA will struggle but I also like the tone of the NA 3.5l f type. The exhaust tones at the beginning of the review.

Please describe the tone to me and what exhausts are known to give this tone. Thanks

That yellow one sounded great but it didn't sound like a v, there was so much rasp it was simply raspy, nothing else. The trouble is getting that note your after without it being too loud. You often end up with what you want higher up but at cruising speeds a droney aggravation.

As above, you won't get that sound on a Z. Have you considered adding high flow cats to the stock exhaust? Might be an option if you find most of the exhausts available for the Z are too deep sounding for you.

Edited by sipar69

Obviously you need a V8 to get that sort of ridiculous sound. The closest I've heard on a zed is on this 350Z with full motordyne bolt ons:

:teeth: Motordyne TDX V2 - FTW!!!!

It's what I ride and it took me a couple of years to decide upon it. I'm riding stock cats and have the Motordyne ART pipes yet to fit. One day maybe lol. I don't have any video's but I know Octet has a video from Wales last year, but still not sign of the video :(

Get a 5ltr engine and a supercharger?! :shrug:

And this:

"Please describe the tone to me and what exhausts are known to give this tone. Thanks"

As with every microphone changing the sound, every speaker will too, as will every persons ear interpreting the noise. The best option for you would be to go to a meet and listen to lots of different 350's and then ask the owners of the noise you like most how they've achieved it.

thanks for the replies.

Theaim to describing the tone was that when I have been to custom exhaust places, they have asked how much rasp or deepness i want and its pretty subjective. So thats why i wanted to see what the average description of this exhaust would be. ive also heard people describe exausts with an'open' tone....i think that means a ferrari how the tone suddenly changes when you get beyond 4k revs. it sounds like a completely different exhaust. Kind of like how this f type exhaust sounds. so is an exhaust note like this described as 'open'?:shrug:

Jay, your exahust onstart up was very loud but when it cammed down i didnt notice it as much. i would probably like something a little bit quieter when cruising on the motorway. i noticed a little bit of drone.

Lastly the reason i put up this video was that car manufacturers manage to make exhausts which sound great and exotic but also dont have any drone at motorway speeds....why cant aftermarket exhausts achieve the same thing? The standard F Type is a good example. in the flesh the exhaust sounds excellent and no drone. i would love for the zed to sound like the stock F type (3.5l NA vs 3.7l NA...should be possible)

thanks for the replies.

Theaim to describing the tone was that when I have been to custom exhaust places, they have asked how much rasp or deepness i want and its pretty subjective. So thats why i wanted to see what the average description of this exhaust would be. ive also heard people describe exausts with an'open' tone....i think that means a ferrari how the tone suddenly changes when you get beyond 4k revs. it sounds like a completely different exhaust. Kind of like how this f type exhaust sounds. so is an exhaust note like this described as 'open'? :shrug:

Jay, your exahust onstart up was very loud but when it cammed down i didnt notice it as much. i would probably like something a little bit quieter when cruising on the motorway. i noticed a little bit of drone.

Lastly the reason i put up this video was that car manufacturers manage to make exhausts which sound great and exotic but also dont have any drone at motorway speeds....why cant aftermarket exhausts achieve the same thing? The standard F Type is a good example. in the flesh the exhaust sounds excellent and no drone. i would love for the zed to sound like the stock F type (3.5l NA vs 3.7l NA...should be possible)

Unfortunately, manufacturers put YEARS of research into all aspects of a car to bring them into line with one another and to make the car a cohesive unit. Exhausts are developed by trained technicians and MILLIONS are spent on getting each one just right, switching parts in and out all the way until the perfect combination is achieved. Your average aftermarket brands just can't do this, they'd have to charge so much they wouldn't sell any exhausts. The f-type actually has a switch for the exhaust to change it between loud and manageable. Without splashing out a couple of thousand on something like an invidia, borla or magnaflow, you're going to have to compromise somewhere down the line. You could get a slightly noisy exhaust and quieten it down with removable baffles, not have the exact sound you want or get used to some cabin drone.

Or I suppose you could stump up the extra cash and pay someone to make the f-type exhaust fit the Z? However, that might well be a pointless exercise as there's so many intake/engine/manifold/exhaust variables which could affect it you'd just be chasing a pipe dream. The only real way to get that noise is to buy an F-Type I'm afraid :)

This was mine. Decatted, straight through dual system, with two silencers at the tail pipes. Had plenty rasp, but was a little too droney on the motorway.

I have since got two small 12" silencers welded in, which has elminated the drone, and also the rasp.

• Like 2

I made my own exhaust on my old azda 3 MPS. Since it had twin tailpipes, i installed a large silencer on the branch over to the driver side outlet, and then an electronic valve on the passenger side. When closed, gases were forced through the silencer, and when open, it was a straight through.

Sounded not too bad for a 4pot turbo! If i had the time i would consider doing one for the 370, but its already got a custom exhaust, so i may not bother!

It would be easy enough for a custom place to make something up for you!

20130427_133855_zps56a9bf98.jpg

20130427_191207_zps6a30926a.jpg

This was mine. Decatted, straight through dual system, with two silencers at the tail pipes. Had plenty rasp, but was a little too droney on the motorway.

I have since got two small 12" silencers welded in, which has elminated the drone, and also the rasp.

That exhaust set up sounds amazing, lovely burble on the drive by vid :)

The Armytrix are on Facebook gstraw so if you are it may be worth finding out their suppliers & prices if you're interested. Be warned though it won't be cheap. :surrender::lol:

The only price I could find was an old one quoted on a US site of $5000 odd. :scare: Maybe it's come down in price though? :dry: