Service advice needed ..

jamess115

Folks. I have just purchased my Fairlady Z from a Trader who tells me its been serviced very recently. I have verified this and it wasn't a main dealer service. However, naturally I want to put it thru one of my own, however Nissan want £318 for the full Man Service but they will conduct a free health check beforehand. Was wondering what people's thoughts are about using an independent garage for a service rather than a Nissan outlet. Any advice appreciated.

Edited by jamess115

Depending up on what service is required I would be very tempted to just service it myself. From my experience, regardless of whether its main dealer or an indy they will give the job to the YTS kid to do and most of the time will use the cheapest parts they can in order to make the most profit.

Like Gixxer said, due to the cars age, the non nissan service wont affect its value, and as long as you keep a record, receipts of any bits you buy for the service etc then the next owner can see that its been looked after by an enthusiast.

Edited by rabbitstew

Agree with the above comments....I personally prefer to do my own servicing as I then know its been done properly.

I find this a lot, in other walks of life too. If you want a job doing properly then do it yourself (most of the time anyway)

I got my P3 service fluids from Horsham (H-Dev)

If its something I cant handle I'll pass it to my trusted Indy, but no way would I go near a main dealer

Depending up on what service is required I would be very tempted to just service it myself. From my experience, regardless of whether its main dealer or an indy they will give the job to the YTS kid to do and most of the time will use the cheapest parts they can in order to make the most profit.

Like Gixxer said, due to the cars age, the non nissan service wont affect its value, and as long as you keep a record, receipts of any bits you buy for the service etc then the next owner can see that its been looked after by an enthusiast.

I always stay with my car (ocd, vfm) and at the first sign of acne and I'm out of there :thumbs:

Agree with the above comments....I personally prefer to do my own servicing as I then know its been done properly.

I find this a lot, in other walks of life too. If you want a job doing properly then do it yourself (most of the time anyway)

I got my P3 service fluids from Horsham (H-Dev)

If its something I cant handle I'll pass it to my trusted Indy, but no way would I go near a main dealer

I do all my servicing, sometimes youre hands are tied due to warranty :(

because...... you can spend the money on better products than those normally used, do a better job a lot of the time, helps you to become familiar with you're car, if you do have a future problem you know exactly what was recently done also helps with preventative maintenance as you can see for yourself what may cause a future problem

I always stay with my car (ocd, vfm) and at the first sign of acne and I'm out of there :thumbs:

I try to if I can, like when I had new tyres fitted the other day, I stood there about 6ft from them watching their every move, but at Nissan they tend to get the receptionist to drive your car off to the workshop area out of your sight. - Still they slipped up a bit as I had the K1 exhaust on the car, so it was fairly obvious when their YTS lad started revving the living daylights out of my car in the workshop and once the workshop manager saw me fumming sent the young lad out to apologise to me.

Edited by rabbitstew

I try to if I can, like when I had new tyres fitted the other day, I stood there about 6ft from them watching their every move, but at Nissan they tend to get the receptionist to drive your car off to the workshop area out of your sight. - Still they slipped up a bit as I had the K1 exhaust on the car, so it was fairly obvious when their YTS lad started revving the living daylights out of my car in the workshop and once the workshop manager saw me fumming sent the young lad out to apologise to me.

Few years ago my mate took his to a main dealer told to pick it up at 4.00pm

arrived a bit early by bus and found the Spotty YTS ragging it around the roundabout trying to drift it.

He was not amused so the Service Manager told him the Spotty was "Road Testing it..!!!

I think he "sparked" out the Service Manager. :rant:

• Like 1

arrived a bit early by bus and found the Spotty YTS ragging it around the roundabout trying to drift it.

He was not amused so the Service Manager told him the Spotty was "Road Testing it..!!!

My brother had the same with his Peugeot 205 Gti many moons back. Took it to a garage to have some new brake pads fitted. He got there early and as he walked to the garage heard this hot hatch being thrashed down the road (he had a janspeed exhaust on his). The car got closer & closer before screeching onto the garage forecourt and my brother realised it was his car.

Apparently they were "bedding the brakes in" :lol:

• Like 1

:surrender: I've often said YTS training should include drifting

• Like 2

Are there any good indys round the West Yorkshire area? RS Tuning in Leeds spring to mind.

Just a bit reluctant to get stuff done out of Nissan in case something break after the warranty has expired. Nissan will then be less inclined to contribute to the repair...

Word of mouth is your best guarantee, I've been really lucky and found someone excellent first time off, due to a sparkling recommendation and I'm never more than 6 feet from the car whatever job they're up to. I know not everyone can take time off work to watch a tech in action, but it's been a great learning experience for me and I know she gets treated right.

Where are you based? There's bound to be someone localish who can point you in the right direction.

Are there any good indys round the West Yorkshire area? RS Tuning in Leeds spring to mind.

Just a bit reluctant to get stuff done out of Nissan in case something break after the warranty has expired. Nissan will then be less inclined to contribute to the repair...

I've heard some good things about them. ;)

Another member on here called Tigerzed had his UpRev on his Zed done there. Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/80806-uprev-booked/