Help!

SiriusProjects

Can anyone help me diagnose a problem.

My zed was fine on Monday but when I got up and went to work on Tuesday the ride felt really lumpy, if that makes sense and I could just tell that something wasn't right.

Today I have been driving the car and have noticed a distinct lack of power. I drove home from a friends tonight and was doing about 40/45 in sixth and put my foot down and the car just didn't pull like it normally does. I can also feel vibration through the gear stick and also through the accelerator pedal and brake pedal.

A friend of mine who owns a Nissan Navara recently had a problem with their vehicle which turned out to be the DMF and I am wondering if that is what is causing the problem with my Zed or could it be the clutch that is going?

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Well I took the car to my local garage this morning and they took it out for a test drive. Their verdict was that the clutch isn't slipping and the gear changes are smooth and the car drives okay.

Obviously they don't drive the car that often, but thinking about it, I did put some fuel in it at the beginning of the week and am wondering whether the fuel might have been dirty which might account for the sometimes sluggish performance.

What do you reckon?

What is the MAF Sensor and where is it?

"Mass Air Flow" sensor.

It's located just after the air box. Red arrow pointing at it below.

23253d1127680619-z-tube-mass-airflow-sensor-red.gif

If you want to clean it yourself then you can clean it using something like this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRC-AIR-SENSOR-CLEAN-MASS-AIR-FLOW-METER-CLEANER-MAF-200ml-/121127190586?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item1c33be403a

Not easy to do but not hard either if you get my drift. ;) As below.

You will need to disconnect your car battery (just the negative will do). Then unplug the MAF sensor and move the wiring harness out of the way (you may need to cut off a cable tie depending on how yours is held against the air box).

At this point it is worth taking a camera picture of the MAF in place so when refitting if unsure you will have something to look at to show you the correct orientation.

Then you will need to undo the hose clamp (pictured below red arrow pointing at it) and pull the hose (backwards) clear of the MAF.

Air-tube-clamp-1.jpg

Then take out your air box by firstly undoing the bolt circled in red below.

030901-1347-36m_zps4a13f436.jpg

Then pull out the plastic clip (circled in blue) and then pull the air intake forwards to allow you to then lift the entire air box upwards (as red arrow shows). It's held in place underneath by some plastic lugs which locate so it may need a good tug upwards.

After you have the air box and MAF sensor out in one piece you will then need to separate them by undoing the 4 bolts holding the MAF sensor onto the air box.

Once you have undone them and separated the two be careful not to lose the O-ring which is between the two.

Then use the cleaning agent on your MAF sensor as directed on the can ~ allow to dry fully before reattaching the MAF sensor to the airbox and remember to put the O-ring back in place between the two & locate the MAF in the correct position for it to reconnect with the plug/wiring harness.

Then refit in reverse order and after you have reconnected your MAF plug & battery it would probably be worth doing an ECU reset. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/53148-how-to-ecu-accelerator-pedal-throttle-valve-resets/

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

Really appreciate the info, however, can someone just explain how a sensor can make the car suddenly feel quite sluggish and why this sensor in particular?

It may not be your MAF sensor playing up but sometimes if it's dirty or faulty it can cause running issues. Some people clean it every year as it does get dirty especially more prevalent if your running an oiled filter or filter with poor filtration.

See below ~ any of the symptoms below sound like problems you are having?

A mass airflow sensor (MAS) determines the mass of air entering a vehicle's fuel injection engine, and passes that data to the Engine Control Unit, or ECU. The air mass information is necessary for the ECU to correctly balance and deliver the correct amount of fuel to the engine. When a vehicle's mass airflow sensor is faulty or defective it can cause a variety of problems, and usually results in very poor performance from your engine.

Symptoms of a Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor

A faulty mass airflow sensor will cause problems similar to low compression or low vacuum, and will also show symptoms similar to when your vehicle has low fuel pressure from a faulty fuel pump. Here are some of the most common symptoms of a faulty mass airflow sensor:

• The engine is very hard to start or turn over
  • The engine stalls shortly after starting
  • The engine hesitates or drags while under load or idle
  • Hesitation and jerking during acceleration
  • The engine hiccups
  • Excessively rich or lean idling

I'm a bit frustrated because I'm 100% sure there is a problem, although my mechanic says that all is well.

The ride just feels a lot rougher and the engine just doesn't feel like it's pulling like it normally does.

The garage did put some fuel cleaner in my car today just in case it was some dirty fuel I put in. They said it wouldn't hurt, so I am going to drive it around over the next few days and see if it gets any better.

Erm is a z supposed to be really responsive in 6th at 40mph? Mine drones and accelerates slowly?

Probably not but if you read SiriusProjects first post..

...was doing about 40/45 in sixth and put my foot down and the car just didn't pull like it normally does.

...it states that it didn't pull like it normally does which would suggest that something is wrong.

TBH - wouldn't expect the zed to pull away particularly well in 6th @ 45mph. :shrug: Although as Ricey points out last time we saw this it was MAF... if you do decide to clean it be very carefull not to soak it and ensure it is totally dry before re - fitting. Infact how much are they new - maybe just take Lee up on his offer of a new one?

I think i might have worded it wrong when I mentioned about the car not pulling when I am in sixth gear doing 40/45. It's not going to pull tremendously well at that speed I know, it's just that it seems to be struggling more than usual.

For example: There is quite a steep hill close to where I live and normally with a good run up to it, I can be in sixth and the torque of the car alone will easily get me up that hill without me having to change down. I went up that same hill on Wednesday and I ended up changing down to fith and almost had to go into fourth before I reached the top.

I'm sure you guys will appreciate that the more you drive your zed, the more you can instantly tell when something suddenly doesn't feel right which is the case with mine.