Help!

SiriusProjects

Hi Guys,

I may have a breakthrough regarding the issue with my car.

I plugged my ODB2 adapter into the car and ran the diagnostic check.

It returned the following error code:

P0430, TW CATALYST SYS-B2

I'm guessing it's an exhaust issue of some kind. What is the fault exactly, can someone advise?

Thanks.

P.S. I have a new exhaust that I am due to have fitted, so will this resolve the problem anyway?

Edited by SiriusProjects

I think i might have worded it wrong when I mentioned about the car not pulling when I am in sixth gear doing 40/45. It's not going to pull tremendously well at that speed I know, it's just that it seems to be struggling more than usual.

For example: There is quite a steep hill close to where I live and normally with a good run up to it, I can be in sixth and the torque of the car alone will easily get me up that hill without me having to change down. I went up that same hill on Wednesday and I ended up changing down to fith and almost had to go into fourth before I reached the top.

I'm sure you guys will appreciate that the more you drive your zed, the more you can instantly tell when something suddenly doesn't feel right which is the case with mine.

Sorry but why would you want to drive up hill and keep the car in sixth? that's why it has a gearbox!

I think i might have worded it wrong when I mentioned about the car not pulling when I am in sixth gear doing 40/45. It's not going to pull tremendously well at that speed I know, it's just that it seems to be struggling more than usual.

For example: There is quite a steep hill close to where I live and normally with a good run up to it, I can be in sixth and the torque of the car alone will easily get me up that hill without me having to change down. I went up that same hill on Wednesday and I ended up changing down to fith and almost had to go into fourth before I reached the top.

I'm sure you guys will appreciate that the more you drive your zed, the more you can instantly tell when something suddenly doesn't feel right which is the case with mine.

Sorry but why would you want to drive up hill and keep the car in sixth? that's why it has a gearbox!

Its not about wanting to mate he`s just using that example to describe the car not feeling right

Of course I understand that, but if your going to drive up a steep hill in 6th the engine is going to fell odd, unless your already doing a high speed, so from that we have to draw the conclusion that the engine is feeling labored in all gears, so if the P0430, TW CATALYST SYS-B2 is a recent CEL and not one that not been previously cleared, then if the cat has collapsed/broken up its possible that its the cause of the problem, however I would also expect to see a CEL relating the the cat monitor O2 sensor as well.

To the OP have you tried clearing the CEL and drive and see if it comes back? or monitor live data if pos?

With reference to the steep hill thing, all I am saying is that the first time I went up that hill in my zed, I stayed in sixth. I wasn't thinking about it, it was pulling great and if there had been a need to drop to 5th or even 4th I would have done so. I don't purposely go out of my way to make life difficult for myself.

I have cleared the CEL and will keep tabs on it. As I mentioned, I am having a new exhaust fitted this week anyway, so I will see if that cures the problem.

With reference to the steep hill thing, all I am saying is that the first time I went up that hill in my zed, I stayed in sixth. I wasn't thinking about it, it was pulling great and if there had been a need to drop to 5th or even 4th I would have done so. I don't purposely go out of my way to make life difficult for myself.

I have cleared the CEL and will keep tabs on it. As I mentioned, I am having a new exhaust fitted this week anyway, so I will see if that cures the problem.

If it is a problem with the Cat though changing the exhaust will make no difference.

I'd be tempted to wait and see if the fault code comes up again myself before fitting the new exhaust because if you do need to replace the Cats then it will be easier doing that at the same time as the new exhaust is being fitted.

I think we need to forget about the whole hill thing, I know what you mean but people are looking too much into that instead of trying to help you diagnose the problem. It could be that your cat has collapsed and is blocking/restricting the exhaust flow. When you get your exhaust are you getting decats or high flow cats? If it is the cat that's knackered you will need to replace them. It could also be a silencer collapsed in the exhaust. Does it sound any different lately?

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but if I run the car and look under it, there is a noise coming from the where the cats are which could be as you say where one of the cats has collapsed.

Just after I added my latest post to this thread, it did suddenly occur to me that my new exhaust doesn't come with cats. So as GMBallistic says it wont make any difference. This isn't a bad thing though as I have been reading a number of threads on here about the Berks HFC's and I do quite like the idea of replacing my existing ones with them, so weirdly it couldn't have worked out better. LOL.

I have the Berks HFC's on my 350z SiriusProjects and they do make a great improvement imo (great sound too B) ).

It is worth noting that changing the CATs to HFC's or de-cats for that matter will throw up the EML but that is easily sorted with an UpRev eventually and not a big deal really.

I ran my car for over 2 months with the HFC's before I got my UpRev done and the EML came on twice (I used the ECU reset to get rid of it each time).

If your not planning on getting an UpRev done though you could just keep doing the ECU reset to clear the EML but it is advisable to get it remapped so that all the AFR is correct and you'll get the benefits of the mods you've done. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Think this has just happened to me. Halfway through a trackday!! Engine light is on but don't have my OBDII reader! It is sluggish while going up the revs and obvious to hear with my exhaust system. Will have to clean the maf if I can get the right tools!