drift tyres?

The Chubby Ninja

im thinking of trying out a little drifting, nothing professional just a figure of 8 thing at crail and possibly a few trips to driftland later this year. just wondered if it really matters what tyres you use or is it ok to just get some mixed part worns or something or some of the cheapest budget jobbies. the tyres will never see the road as they will be getting fitted to another set of wheels. any info or tips from some of you drift guys with some experience in the sport would be great. cheers, Steve

Yep, although Ive done it with different sizes across the axle its best to stick with the same each side. Other than that it doesnt matter, I used to get mine out of old tyre piles but these days theres usually a fitter selling and fitting partworns at the venue anyway :)

Budget tyres are better as they are more consistent but TBF a waste of money if youre not competing :)

• Like 1

Yep, although Ive done it with different sizes across the axle its best to stick with the same each side. Other than that it doesnt matter, I used to get mine out of old tyre piles but these days theres usually a fitter selling and fitting partworns at the venue anyway :)

Budget tyres are better as they are more consistent but TBF a waste of money if youre not competing :)

thats a good idea i might ask at some tyre places for old worn out tyres. what sort of price would you pay for a couple of partworns?

I know Matt (Aliveboy) Used to go down a tyre place and grab there old scraps. As it costs them something like £1/£2 per tyre to dispose of, so Matt would go down offer them some money and grab a load/fit etc. But then again he's got loads of different Wheels, so can switch over on the day each time one wears out.

• Like 1

awesome cheers stevo.theres a part worn tyre place along from my work so i will drop in tomorrow and see what they have. i thought id never buy part worn tyres as normally they are dodgy as fook :cry::lol:

i get tyres for free anything with less than 3mm as most garage have to pay to have them removed so giving them to me means there quids in and i have victims :)

• Like 1

I know Matt (Aliveboy) Used to go down a tyre place and grab there old scraps. As it costs them something like £1/£2 per tyre to dispose of, so Matt would go down offer them some money and grab a load/fit etc. But then again he's got loads of different Wheels, so can switch over on the day each time one wears out.

Exactly this, the garages have to pay to dispose so they should let you take them for free, if you tell them what they are for they might even fit them for you too. There was a time when Id go through every tyre pile I found, it doesnt take too long before you end up with an impressive stock :thumbs:

• Like 1

Exactly this, the garages have to pay to dispose so they should let you take them for free, if you tell them what they are for they might even fit them for you too. There was a time when Id go through every tyre pile I found, it doesnt take too long before you end up with an impressive stock :thumbs:

this my garage is half full of them shame most are 17s tho and i wanna try and only run 18s from now on