Alloy Wheels - Cost?

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

For a while now I have been looking around for a new set of alloys and have managed to narrow it down to a couple of choices.

However, on my endless trolling around the net, ebay, etc, one thing I found was that some sets of alloy wheels do seem to be rather cheap.

What's you opinion on these? Is it a case of, you get what you pay for?

You're talking about the £400 eBay 18's aren't you?

They'll be awful, bad quality and probably corrode really easy. God knows how safe they'll be as well...

Edited by KyleR

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that cheap alloys are necessarily rubbish, not at all. I've seen posts where people have mentioned about 3 piece alloys, forged alloys, etc and when you look at the different types you can plainly see a big difference in the prices. I mean, are there any benefits in buying forged alloys compared to 3 piece alloys for instance or is there really not much difference between the two?

Generally speaking you get exactly what you pay for, in weight, looks, quality of manufacture and uniqueness of design - there are some exceptions (the 350Z Rays are a great example of something thats way cheaper than it should be) but most cheap wheels are heavy, ugly and will corrode quickly .......... you dont need that in your life ;)

The number of pieces doesnt really have a lot of effect on anything - in an ideal world you can re-barrel a 3 piece split rim to run wider tyres or a different offset, but in reality this is difficult and expensive. That said, most 3 piece wheels are good quality and therefore not cheap, its a fair indicator I suppose.

Most wheels are cast, forging them makes them much stronger but TBF an average user wouldnt notice the difference (unless you happen to drive into kerbs at 80mph on the way to Le Mans 24H) so TBF while its nice to rock a 3 piece forged rim its by no means essential. I personally think that around £1K/1200 is about right for a decent set of Zed rims, maybe a bit more for perfection ........... dont make the mistake of buying cheap as you will only regret it when the car looks a bit gash ;)

• Like 2

Generally speaking you get exactly what you pay for, in weight, looks, quality of manufacture and uniqueness of design - there are some exceptions (the 350Z Rays are a great example of something thats way cheaper than it should be) but most cheap wheels are heavy, ugly and will corrode quickly .......... you dont need that in your life ;)

The number of pieces doesnt really have a lot of effect on anything - in an ideal world you can re-barrel a 3 piece split rim to run wider tyres or a different offset, but in reality this is difficult and expensive. That said, most 3 piece wheels are good quality and therefore not cheap, its a fair indicator I suppose.

Most wheels are cast, forging them makes them much stronger but TBF an average user wouldnt notice the difference (unless you happen to drive into kerbs at 80mph on the way to Le Mans 24H) so TBF while its nice to rock a 3 piece forged rim its by no means essential. I personally think that around £1K/1200 is about right for a decent set of Zed rims, maybe a bit more for perfection ........... dont make the mistake of buying cheap as you will only regret it when the car looks a bit gash ;)

what he said.

Also, because ive done it before, if you do not buy the wheels you really really want, everytime you look at your car you will think of the other wheels and eventually you will buy them anyway, then have a hard time selling a used set of crap wheels

Well at the moment I am torn between the Dotz Hanzo's (19") and a set of Volks (19").

I know the Dotz wheels arent to everyones tastes, but it's because they look a bit different that I like them, They are around the £1000 mark. As for the Volks, well they just look bloody awesome (I think so anyway) even though they would probably cost £2000.

I am going to get the wheels on my GT4 refurbed as I will probably sell them when I get the new wheels, so that will offset the cost a bit.

So that's my dilemma right now. Decisions, Decisions. LOL.

Check the weights.

I can promise you that you WILL notice unpleasant handling traits if you go for a substantially heavier wheel than what you have now. If going larger, then obviously the weight will be dramatically increased but you can offset that with the lighter tyres you'll need. There will still be an increase overall though, unless you spend £££s. The GT4 wheels are especially light, so pretty much anything else will add weight in the worse possible place.

Only you know whether it's worth sacrificing ride and performance over looks.

• Like 1

what he said.

Also, because ive done it before, if you do not buy the wheels you really really want, everytime you look at your car you will think of the other wheels and eventually you will buy them anyway, then have a hard time selling a used set of crap wheels

And what he said backatcha, Ive done exactly the above :lol:

Agreed on the weight aspect.

I'd also look at which design is easy to look after, if you buy a set that have a very pronounced face then it's gonna be real easy to kerb the face of them :wacko: If you buy ones with a lip it's a lot easier to get the kerbing refurbed out of them as that'll take the brunt of the damage. oh and don't go thinking "I won't kerb them" :lol: It happens to us all eventually and it makes you vomit everywhere in anger.

Interesting this has come up actually, Ive been asked out for a date by a couple of girls on Saturday and cant decide which to go for ........... the first one only wants a kebab while the second wants to go to a Michelin star place, but I reckon both are up for coming back to mine after ;)

SNF2036B_380_687271a.jpg

8192927400_c80f53c265_o.jpg

Not that much of a difficult choice when you consider weight, cost and looks ............ ;):lol:

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Interesting this has come up actually, Ive been asked out for a date by a couple of girls on Saturday and cant decide which to go for ........... the first one only wants a kebab while the second wants to go to a Michelin star place, but I reckon both are up for coming back to mine after ;)

SNF2036B_380_687271a.jpg

8192927400_c80f53c265_o.jpg

Not that much of a difficult choice when you consider weight, cost and looks ............ ;):lol:

A: I would do them both :lol:

B: 2nd one! I would give up my life for one night!!!! :lol:

• Like 2

Check the weights.

I can promise you that you WILL notice unpleasant handling traits if you go for a substantially heavier wheel than what you have now. If going larger, then obviously the weight will be dramatically increased but you can offset that with the lighter tyres you'll need. There will still be an increase overall though, unless you spend £££s. The GT4 wheels are especially light, so pretty much anything else will add weight in the worse possible place.

Only you know whether it's worth sacrificing ride and performance over looks.

Don't you mean the GT Rays? As far as I know the GT4's are just a cast rim, nothing excitingly light about them or anything.