Christ it's quick!!!

Darren350

:lol: only messing around, there was a vxr thread a while back that just kept going

that's depressing. Speaking of which, it was only last night on the local news that there was a report of people waking up to find that their cars had been stripped over night on their drive ways. They showed pictures of a stripped down cars. The woman reported that luxury top model cars were being targeted like the astra, corsa and insignia! :lol: I almost choked on my sashimi. She needs to get out more.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

if we stay on topic, I see no reason to lock this... I find the power delivery of the zed is deceptive, since its got such a flat torque curve. put your foot down in any gear and as long as you're over 2500rpm or so, it simply picks up and sets off. With minimal amount of fuss. however, where it does feel fast is if you keep your foot in, it keeps building and building and BUILDING, all the way up to the redline, by which time you're moving very quickly. while the linearity of the power delivery can be a bit unexciting for a sports car, it does make for a good GT car.

On the other hand with a turbo car, you get all the whizz pop bang attitude, put your foot down and theres a pause, then a big surge of torque that pins you to the seat, then tails off to a pretty poor redline. in a turbo car its not the acceleration you feel, its the accelerating acceleration as the engine produces a sharply rising torque curve. so you get the torque earlier in the midrange, whereas a zed needs the revs to make the power.

I agree with those who feel that the Zed is deceptive.

Yes, the Caterhams I had (and the Westfield) felt madly quick at the time but that is partly down to the fact you are 4 inches off the ground and the amount of noise (particularly in the Crossflows).

Maybe for the first bit, if it was dry and if you got everything right, they were quicker off the mark. However, it often surprises me, with the Zed, what the speedo says, which I find difficult to relate to what my senses are telling me.

The only thing I miss, in truth, is that assault on the senses - but that can wear a bit think after a while. They thing I miss (without qualification) is the way they take the bends (and roundabouts) which has to be experienced to get it. Overall, though, given a mix of conditions, I am happy that I made the right choice.

• Like 1

I agree with both of you guys. I'm hoping the Z can be made a little more exiting with some choice mods... coilovers, exhuast and a re-map etc, mine is stock at the minute aside from an exedy clutch and ligh flywheel.

I really need to get to a meet to check out some modded Z's.

Edited by nowhereboy

Completely agree with nowhereboy, my old B18'd civic coupe felt a lot quicker than the Zed, but in reality it's no where near as fast.

Its a different kind of speed, I have no idea how fast I'm going in the Zed (without looking) whereas I could always judge it in my old car.

• Like 1

exhaust helps a lot :) how does it drive with a lightened flywheel? although you might need an uprev to fully appreciate it, I normally prefer a lighter fly for the responsiveness of the engine revs rising and falling, just makes a car feel more 'zingy'

The light fly actually made a noticable difference, the revs pick up and drop off much faster. It does make heel and toe a little tricky as the revs drop off really quick but overall it's a great mod.

I actually like the noise it makes at low down revs too, add's to the character lol.

I have come from a high hp Rx7 and it was blistering fast, but, apart from the turbo kick it was lighter and no where near as solidly built so you always knew what speed you were doing and how fast it got there. I have always been surprised when i look at the speedo, no matter how un dramatically it seems to get there i have always been going a fair bit faster than i thought i was. I guess its down to the fact as mentioned the power delivery is very linear and you are cocooned in a nice and comfy, solid, well built car which if you have the window up is relatively quiet.

It is nice to see that brainless people are not influenced by films or TV in any possible way

Of course I am not talking about the OP I mean in my own private universe ;)

Sent from the golf club...

My wife took Grand Theft Auto away as I was killing too many hookers :-(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm not allowed to play it anymore either :cry:

exhaust helps a lot :) how does it drive with a lightened flywheel? although you might need an uprev to fully appreciate it, I normally prefer a lighter fly for the responsiveness of the engine revs rising and falling, just makes a car feel more 'zingy'

The light fly actually made a noticable difference, the revs pick up and drop off much faster. It does make heel and toe a little tricky as the revs drop off really quick but overall it's a great mod.

I actually like the noise it makes at low down revs too, add's to the character lol.

I loved my light flywheel, really did make a noticeable difference...

I tried to impress my mates in the pub car park in my Saab 900 turbo by doing a

handbrake turn into a parking space. Unfortunately I didn't realise the handbrake

works only on the front wheels, so I instantly understeered straight into the pub wall.

To the amusement of all in the beer garden. :scare: :scare:.

Front brakes?

Never heard of that

handbrake turn into a parking space. Unfortunately I didn't realise the handbrake

works only on the front wheels, so I instantly understeered straight into the pub wall.

Front brakes?

Never heard of that

Apparently some Citroen's (Xantia, 2CV, DS), Alfa's (Sud Sprint Veloce for one), Seats and old Subarus also have had the handbrake set up on the front wheels. Stupid idea imo. :lol:;)

Front brakes?

Never heard of that

The 99 and 900 (I think only some of them though) along with the Alfasud and most Citroens of a certain age had the handbrake applied on the front wheels. No idea why though.

Curses, beaten to it. :dry:

:lol:

In a "Christ it's quick" thread that's surely ironic. :D;)

• Like 1

Brillomaster wrote:

"On the other hand with a turbo car, you get all the whizz pop bang attitude, put your foot down and theres a pause, then a big surge of torque that pins you to the seat, then tails off to a pretty poor redline. in a turbo car its not the acceleration you feel, its the accelerating acceleration as the engine produces a sharply rising torque curve. so you get the torque earlier in the midrange, whereas a zed needs the revs to make the power"

No lag on my GT-Four and it doesn't stop pulling to the redline. I'd pitch it against the zed any day of the week.

•  

Edited by Rock_Steady

Front brakes?

Never heard of that

Believe it or not..Most cars have front brakes..! :scare: ;)

well, depends on the age of the car, and the size of the blowers.... but i cannot believe that a 2 litre turbo lump making 300plus bhp isnt horrendously laggy, or that the turbo isnt out of puff at high rpm.

my old 300zx only used ickle turbos (two of 'em) to make a measly 9psi of boost, but the torque still dropped off a cliff after 5000rpm... hence why the RX7 of the same era had a sequential turbo setup. but modern stuff with variable vane geometry and so on will be a lot better, but i'd be very surprised if any turbo car makes a torque curve as flat as a zeds.