RX8

Ekona

I'm 99% sure now I'll get one of these in June, when I get back from LM and I shift the 911. Never owned a rotary, and they're so cheap that they're practically disposable! :D

As much as I'd like a good late R3, I think a decent '05 will do so I can save some cash to modify it.

Re push starting. ....see my post. I did this but lexx later told me that this was a pretty harmful thing to do.

Knackers the cats I think.

Mine started doing that rev jumping too before I got shut.

I guess it's alright if you don't have a cat though right?

For the money they can be had for now, it's crazy! I think I paid £19k for my first one, an early car (04 or 54 I think) that was 9months old. Then the oily colour one above I bought for about £7k in 2010, it was 4years old. To think you can get a decent one for less than half that now is madness. That said I lost a lot of money on both of those, depreciation hit some people hard!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 99% sure now I'll get one of these in June, when I get back from LM and I shift the 911. Never owned a rotary, and they're so cheap that they're practically disposable! :D

As much as I'd like a good late R3, I think a decent '05 will do so I can save some cash to modify it.

Always worth checking out Hayward Rotary as he often sells them rebuilt with 3 years engine warranty for not a lot of money. Or buy one needing a rebuild then you will have peace of mind :)

I'm 99% sure now I'll get one of these in June, when I get back from LM and I shift the 911. Never owned a rotary, and they're so cheap that they're practically disposable! :DAs much as I'd like a good late R3, I think a decent '05 will do so I can save some cash to modify it.

It will be disposable buddy, get the engine fully rebuilt, better if it's 1 owner, preferably from here http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/, BBK is a great mod, to turbo or supercharge, @ £5k, won't give a great deal more, 50/60 hp at most, but will be a nice track/plaything.

You will get fed up quickly though, especially if it floods.

DO NOT PUSH/BUMP START, there's a procedure with the fuel pump fuse (can't remember the whole gambit but it's on the OC site), not only will it damage the cat, it'll probably damage the rotor tips as well.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE YELLOW LOW FUEL WARNING LIGHT, it can mean anything from 5-25 mpg left.Check for corrosion on the sills, boot lid brake light surround, drop links, they are prone to go, most upgrade them, Bilstiens make a difference. Best mod by far is an Axail Flow short shifter, easy to fit and lovely to use.

These cars will have been thrashed, mostly by enthusiastic owners, those that haven't been thrashed or owned by enthusiastic owners may well be not worth buying and have seriously carboned up rotor tips/chambers, the high revving alleviates this a bit, so ones that haven't been thrashed, I wouldn't touch, so no "careful lady owners" :teeth:

Lot's more issues, expansion tank sensors are prone to go, headlight leveling sensors (231 only) are prone to go. Spark plugs are EXPENSIVE, they do spark twice on each revolution though, 18000 times per minute at full chat, so a recent P3 is to be welcomed.There is no good or bad ones, totally random, but worth taking ^^ above into consideration.

Oh and R3 has a bigger oil capacity, they increased the flow when it was introduced, tells you something about the early ones, dipstick is improved on R3's, Mk 1s are a mare to read.

Contact, contact, wait out..........

Oh and I would add, if you are going to heavily mod it, don't pay a premium for an Evolve or PZ (although a PZ is a good place to start re suspension), though they're not so much at a premium now.

Nearly forgot the MOST IMPORTANT THING, HAVE IT COMPRESSION TESTED BEFORE BUYING, A MUST DO THING!!!

Top stuff, thanks for that bud :thumbs:

Disappointed to hear that corrosion may be an issue, I wouldn't have expected that on a 2000+ car. When you say they increased the oil flow on the R3 models, any ideas how? Just bigger pump matched with the bigger capacity, or any internal changes you know of to the block? I assume a larger oil pan is easy to fit anyway, so probably retrofittable.

Looks like satnav was a rare option, which is good as it means I can install a new head unit to control that function too. Got a few months to go, and I still need to drive a 350Z again to confirm that I don't want one again, but I have to say I was incredibly taken with the '8.

The OEM sat nav is dire. Probably worse than the birdview.

A third oil injection port was added into each rotor chamber. Including fitting an EMOP and a large oil delivery pump.

And the bigger sump too.

Yeah, the oil flow on the R3 was increased, it was something like 0.0001ml per rev or something more ridiculous, to more, don't think the pump was changed probably more like through the ECU managing it more, capacity was increased to take this into consideration.

Retro fit sounds good, but it just means you're carrying more oil, with no ECU upgrade, then I don't see the point.

Corrosion was not a big issue, but these are the areas where it'll show and remedial work will be needed. The 8 is a brilliant car, no two ways about it, If I could have afforded it at the time, I would have kept mine, I was nearly in tears at parting even with a lovely new shiney toy to play with, it still broke my heart.

I had the integrated sat nav, very cool operation on the dash, seriously needed upgraded, even when I bought mine, but ripe for modding.

Ha, it's all coming back to me now, a good indicator of low compression is difficulty starting when warm/hot, lot's of owners went round the houses fitting new starter motors, changing the battery and coils, before having this simple test done, most required a rebuild in the end or were punted on.

Yeah, the hot start thing pretty much ties in with what I've read too.

Ironically the bigger wheels of the R3 do put me off, as it just means more weight, a worse ride and more expensive tyres! :lol: If they're popular though I could sell them on to fund a different set. Uprated suspension and exhaust from OEM sound good in theory, but could I do better going aftermarket? I don't know.

If you buy an early car that is a "PZ" then you get the uprated exhaust and bilstein dampers anyway.

As well as a spoiler and diff 18" alloys.

The PZ is basically a ProDrive fettled edition. Considerably cheaper than buying an R3.

I loved the handling of my 8 felt so stable light and chuck able , the zed feels like a tractor in comparison

If it only had a bit more poke I would have kept mine for sure , found It difficult to get a fast get away unless holding at 5k revs

Handling seriously was awesome car refused to let go which gave superb confidence

With prices as they are now I have considered buying another and buying the greddy turbo kit for it

I believe petit racing no longer offer the supercharger kits because they can't get hold of the compressor housings....

I loved the handling of my 8 felt so stable light and chuck able , the zed feels like a tractor in comparison

If it only had a bit more poke I would have kept mine for sure , found It difficult to get a fast get away unless holding at 5k revs

Handling seriously was awesome car refused to let go which gave superb confidence

With prices as they are now I have considered buying another and buying the greddy turbo kit for it

I believe petit racing no longer offer the supercharger kits because they can't get hold of the compressor housings....

I know its personal preference but for the cost of fi ing the renesis you would be better off putting in a 13b as the renesis motor is seriously restricted due to its extra ports to meet emissions, but then you have all the problems of tying up the electronics to work as its all controlled through the ecu, speedo, air con etc etc

There are a couple of companies mid (maybe finished) conversions though, if they get it dialled, would definitely have one :)

• 2 months later...

So I've now borrowed the RX8 in question for a month, to see how I get on with it. He's done a couple of maintenance related mods so far (separate oil res for the 2-stroke rather than using sump oil for one), but other than it's stock still. Well, apart from the decat...

Still love the howl from the engine, and the pop from the exhaust as you shift up a smidge before the redline at WOT is hysterical! Very impressed with the suspension too: It handles some dire speed humps near me better than anything I've ever driven before. Too soft for my personal preference, but for the masses it's ideal for comfort.

Updates as I go.

• Like 1

Surely the RX8 is quite a downgrade from the 911??

I remember test driving one ages ago when deciding what to replace the Integra Type R with...my lasting memory of the test drive was it seem like a watered down Type R, not as loud, not as fast, and generally rather a uninspiring/dull machine.

Edited by gangzoom

The 350 is also a minimum of 40 hp up on a RX8 (depending on compared variants). Numbers mean nothing though.

I've owned both for 7 years combined, and I would rather have the RX8 on a track over the 350 any day.