Oriel blockbuster debt collection text

rtbiscuit

Got a strange text today from 'Oreil' never heard of them before, they seem to know me by name. But I've never heard of them. They claim to be debt collectors for blockbuster, they have given me a case number and a webaddress www.blockbuster.mysecuregateway.co.uk I've checked on and apparently I owe them £1.60 of which 60p from what I can gather is admin fee.

I have no recollecting of giving back a late movie and secondly when they folded they kept about £10 from me in credit for exchanging Xbox games with them. But on their gateway link there is no contact section.

Is this a crock of kaka?

It honestly looks like a scam to me?

Would I really be chased for £1.60?

Anyone else had this?

Any advice?

In the grand scheme of life I'm not bothered about £1.60, but I also don't like giving out my card details to unknowns. And thirdly, should I really have to pay it if they owe me money?

As a former manager in debt collections and administration, they need to provide documentary evidence of debt before you need to pay them. If they can provide that then yes you owe it but for the small amount you're being asked for I'd imagine it'd be written off in a short period of time.

Another quick point is I'm sure (although I may be incorrect) you need to provide contact details before opening an account with Blockbuster so IMO it's simply the recovery agent chasing all debt as is required, by law, as cheaply as possible.

If it were me, I'd respond with a request for the relevant documentation to be sent in writing. If they provide it and you have proof of their debt to you then I'd send copies to them and suggest they adjust their calculations accordingly. I doubt you'll get your money back though. :thumbdown:

As Lynzzz says, they would need to prove you owe the money. If you don't, don't pay. If you do, pay. I find it odd that they have only contacted you by text but either way you are not obliged to communicate with them via phone, text etc. You could also make a request under the Data Protection Act for the data they hold about you (you might have to pay a fee though).

In the highly unlikely event that they took this to the small claims court they would need to provide proof that they'd written to you about the alleged debt and provide the documents to show you owed the money.

It's also very suspicious that you're being hassled over such a small amount of money so it could be a total scam.

I had some dealings with debt collection agencies some years ago after I got into financial difficulty following the breakdown of a relationship and my outgoings practically doubled overnight. A lot of them rely on the fact that people are ignorant of their statutory rights. In many cases they don't have the necessary documentary proof to be able to enforce an alleged debt through the courts, in which case thy can't actually touch you.

I will provide you with some text to put into a letter or email later this morning. You'll be able to find their address online.

Quick search online reveals that Oriel are collecting debts relating to Blockbuster, so may not be a scam. Either way, as I said earlier, if you owe the money might as well just pay it. However, if you are not sure you owe it, or believe you don't, I would advise you to send them the following by email (you can find their email address quite easily online - see Glrnet's post above). You will obviously need to provide your address if you are asking to be sent documents but you shouldn't be wary of doing that - if they don't already have it they could find it very easily.

From my own experiences about ten years ago, I don't advocate people trying to avoid debts as it usually just means more trouble in the long run (although I very much doubt a Blockbuster debt would be on your credit record since I don't believe a Blockbuster account qualifies as a credit agreement). However, you are entitled to be provided with proof that you owe what they say you owe. If they can't or won't provide it you can tell them to get lost. If they do provide you with something that suggests you owe the money, you could probably then start exploring the issue of your missing credit. You might be able tell them that they owe you the difference!

Your Ref: XX

Dear Sir/Madam

You contacted me recently by text message about an alleged debt of £1.60 pertaining to a Blockbuster account. I have no knowledge of any such debt. I therefore do not accept any liability.

Please do not attempt to make any further contact with me concerning this alleged debt unless you are able to provide documentary evidence of my liability.

Please also note that I will only communicate with you via email or in writing. I do not wish to be contacted by telephone or text message.

I await provision of appropriate documentation which clearly confirms my liability for this alleged debt. If you are unable to provide said documentation, I will expect to receive confirmation that this matter is now closed.

Failure to act on the reasonable requests made in this email may result in a complaint to Trading Standards and the OFT.

Yours etc

Edited by sipar69

My girlfriend got the same thing and in fact she didn't owe them a penny (I'm not sure it's the same debt collection agency). She ignored it to let them doing all the chasing and work knowing that she doesn't owe them anything. Hasn't heard a thing since.

I know it's the principle but how much time have you wasted/will waste for the sake of £1.60 :shrug:

Sent from the golf club...

Regardless of the amount, people shouldn't be hassled into paying money they don't owe. There's an entire industry which relies on people who are too scared, lazy or ignorant to stand up for themselves and it's often the most vulnerable people who suffer. It's ridiculous for a debt collection agency to chase someone for £1.60 and it would be equally ridiculous for him to pay it if he doesn't owe it.

Edited by sipar69

I wouldn't even reply to the txt. It's BS :lol:

TBH I'd probably do this and also get the number blocked by my mobile phone provider. :dry:

I agree that's definitely an option. Could ignore it. Can't believe they even bothered for such a small amount.