About to pull the trigger on exhaust -- Which of these two?

Chromatic

Just want your opinion(s) as I'm about to buy the Catback exhaust for my 08 350z (as in tonight/tomorrow).

It's narrowed down to these two options (As Nismo S Tune is stupid expensive and frankly even new every place that has it listed doesn't have it in stock.)

So..

Choice 1) Brand new from factory: Invidia Gemini True Dual with Rolled Titanium Tips.

12244056173_3e11abdff1.jpg

Or if I want, the Stainless Steel Tips Which look pretty much like Stock:

12244451586_70d855b935.jpg

** Which tips do you prefer on this exhaust? I was leaning Stainless steel.. but now I think I want the Anodized blue Titanium tips.. they are growing on me.

Choice 2) Very Used Bassani Exhaust (not dual like the Invidia).

1235447_10202678129892098_1610395620_n.jpg

12332_10202678129532089_669401442_n.jpg

1513189_10202678128772070_907949711_n.jpg

^^ Is the actual used exhaust.

I've been talking a dealer down over the past few days.. and can get the Invidia Gemini shipped for $799, new.

The Used Bassani exhaust the guy wants $600 + shipping.

I've yet to read a bad review on the Invidia Gemini.. so it seems like a "Safe" choice,.. plus being brand new doesn't hurt (Ie: will have no rust, will have all bolts/gaskets, etc..) -- And should bolt right on without issue.

So I'm obviously heavily leaning to the New exhaust instead of buying the Rusty used one.

But, just wanted to check with you guys for your opinions.. Both are "relatively" quiet exhausts .

Thanks

Invidia with slash cut titanium tips gets my vote

If in time you change you're mind you can polish the tips back to stainless, it's just heat/burnt that gives that effect

Yeah, I had thought of the tips and ability to polish them back to essentially the Stainless looks like -- So getting the Titanium "blue" anodized tips really gives you both tip colors.

As for the Slash tips -- Well,.. If you look at the Rolled tips I have pictured, they are at an angle.. not like stock which are much more "round" with no slant in them.

I *do* like the rolled, thicker lip, exhaust tip personally.. I think it looks nicer/higher quality.. with the bit of slant it has I think it will look great.

They of course have the non rolled tip that is slanted, but that thinner look , doesn't look BAD, but it looks cheaper in my opinion. And that's all it is.. is an opinion! :D

Looks like I'll be ordering that Invidia Gemini -- However given it is Friday,.. It won't ship till Monday, so I can make my final decision Sat or Sunday to have it shipped out Monday. Although I don't see anything changing my mind except a Nismo S Tune magically popping up used for $500-$600.

(Begin Rant About People Selling their Nismo S Exhausts out from Under me!)

I still am a little annoyed that I found TWO people selling the Nismo S Tune's used this week and I was the first person to contact them, and offered their asking price (didn't ask for any lower price) -- and they BOTH sold them out from under me to another person. Arghh.. One was a guy.. who said "I checked on shipping and it was like $80.. so I thought that was too much so sold it to someone else".. (Sorry for my language, but bullshit!) -- I'm willing to bet he never lugged an exhaust to ship it (as he claimed they didn't have a box long enough lol).. and was just too lazy to bother shipping it and sold it to someone local.

The other one was a "Facebook" Girl who didn't have English as her native tongue.. and was a "Latino Ricer Wannabe" if that makes sense..and said she got a better offer (even though I said I'd pay above whatever she was offered).. -- I think she was leary of my "facebook" because I don't "do" facebook except to search for stuff like this, so my account is not my life story, what I just ate for breakfast, and how bad traffic is.. It's just an account to join groups like the one that sells 350/G35 parts and to sign in to services that require a facebook login. I guess I can understand that.. but at least tell me instead of leaving me hanging and not acting faster on the OTHER Nismo, meanwhile losing it.

Oh well.. perhaps that is some sort of "sign" that the Nismo would have been too quiet for me or something lol.. And the Invidia Gemini will be just what I wanted.

(End Rant)

One thing I have thought about -- Is that I can't hear the exhaust on this 2008 350Z very well , especially with a little music going.. so I have to look at the RPM gauge sometimes to check on shifting (and I've been driving a stick for 16 years).. With the new exhaust now I will be able to HEAR the engine, and shifting will be like I've always done.. by ear! :) -- So this exhaust has a very practical use for me, believe it or not.

Not to mention the , at minimum, 40 horsepower I'm going to get from it! :lol: (JK,.. I expect to fell ZERO difference in power.. and on a Dyno I'd expect 2-3hp on a good day.) But, hey maybe the HR motor I have will like a true dual exhaust and actually get more than 2-3 hp .. shrug.

Edited by Chromatic

DDCboyle.

Dual is excatly that, dual exhausts from front to back.

Most exhausts for the 350z are single pipes from the y-pipe back, that then split to look like two exhausts.

But if you look at the Invidia above you can see that right from the front to the back it is two seperate exhausts, hence dual. :)

Cheers Dave.

• Like 2

Go the Invidia, it's becoming a bit of a favourite over here, even at 50-60% more cost due to shipping and customs. :thumbs:

As for your rant. That happens here too and it's really up to the seller, especially with a large item like an exhaust. I've lost out on things because someone has PM'd just after I wrote on the thread I wanted it etc. No big deal, no loss to me really. I think a lot of people prefer pick ups to save them the hassle of having to pack things up and then there's the risk of stuff getting damaged, so tend to sell to the first person who is nearby.

I have the Invidia Gemini exhaust system with stainless steel tips Chromatic and I'd highly recommend you go for the Invidia system. The quality of the kit is fantastic and it doesn't really matter what tips you go for as they can be removed and swapped for the other tips if you wanted to I'm sure. Haven't seen the Invidia tips sold separately here but probably easy for you to get the tips over there.

Plus it's a true dual system as has been mentioned and sounds awesome with High Flow Cats or de-Cats. B):thumbs:

I have the Invidia Gemini exhaust system with stainless steel tips Chromatic and I'd highly recommend you go for the Invidia system. The quality of the kit is fantastic and it doesn't really matter what tips you go for as they can be removed and swapped for the other tips if you wanted to I'm sure. Haven't seen the Invidia tips sold separately here but probably easy for you to get the tips over there.

Plus it's a true dual system as has been mentioned and sounds awesome with High Flow Cats or de-Cats. B):thumbs:

Have you done a video of your with HFC's yet? I have them in the house waiting to be fitted, but i'd like a sneak preview :D

Wow $799 that's cheap! I've started looking at exhausts and this is deffinately top of my list with the rolled stainless ends :-)

Yes it is.. to be 100% honest.. I got him down to $805.. $799 just sounds better to me :) -- But, here in the US, the best Online deals you'll find regularly for the Invidia Gemini new are around $940-950 -- So either way you slice it I'm getting a great deal.

His original "sale price" for forum members was $850.. I just got him down another $45 through messages back and forth. I'm not pushing anymore than $805.. the guy has to make a living.

I have invidia and have no idea what dual means. But if you've heard both them its your call. Sometimes I wish my invidia was a bit louder so may put decats on. Just to keep that in mind but sounds awesome and probably wont break for 2000years

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I see your question/statement on "Dual" was answered -- but yes, the 350Z stock exhaust comes from dual headers (6 cylinder,.. 2 headers with 3 pipes on each side of engine) -- That goes into Cats.. eventually to a Y-pipe (called that because it takes the two pipes from header/cats and merges them into one pipe.) This single pipe then runs to the exhaust muffler which then has two outlets (the tips) that makes it exhaust from both tips and look "dual" on the car.

When you go to a "true dual" system.. it eliminates this merging from two pipes to one pipe.. and runs a separate pipe from each header/cat to the muffler (and through resonator(s)). So your resistance (backpressure) is reduced with usually larger diameter piping and of course two paths two travel down for better breathing.

This type of exhaust will usually net 4-9 horsepower (and similar torque numbers) -- often it's in higher sections of your power band/rpm -- But I've gotten individual Dyno charts from other people with this exhaust and it's one of the better exhausts in terms of actually giving a little HP and Torque even on mostly stock vehicles.

The good thing about going true dual,.. is that the more modifications you do to the breathing (intake, manifold, headers, test pipes (or High flow cats), and so on .. make the Dual exhaust give more horsepower. The breathing modifications really shine when someone puts forced induction on .. Which I'd love, but to do it right is 8k-15k .. I bought the car for 17.5k -- so.. I certainly won't be doing that anytime soon. :)

DDCboyle.

Dual is excatly that, dual exhausts from front to back.

Most exhausts for the 350z are single pipes from the y-pipe back, that then split to look like two exhausts.

But if you look at the Invidia above you can see that right from the front to the back it is two seperate exhausts, hence dual. :)

Cheers Dave.

Great answer!

Go the Invidia, it's becoming a bit of a favourite over here, even at 50-60% more cost due to shipping and customs. :thumbs:

As for your rant. That happens here too and it's really up to the seller, especially with a large item like an exhaust. I've lost out on things because someone has PM'd just after I wrote on the thread I wanted it etc. No big deal, no loss to me really. I think a lot of people prefer pick ups to save them the hassle of having to pack things up and then there's the risk of stuff getting damaged, so tend to sell to the first person who is nearby.

Exactly.. I'm not flaming mad here.. I get it,.. An exhaust is bulky heavy.. and a pain for someone who isn't set up to pack and ship something that large. So if a local buyer comes along.. most people who don't have any "loyalty" to a first contact/buyer.. will take the easier way. It's no big deal

Thanks.. I've yet to hear a bad thing about this system from A LOT of reading.. so it has to be good.. very unlikely to dissapoint. That's another reason I'm going with it because the quality just looks amazing, especially the welds and of course that polished finish of the WHOLE system you can't help but admire when it's new.

As for tips -- well I'm not SURE.. but I think they are welded on the muffler (maybe not).. but yes.. if you absolutely wanted to change the tips.. to anything.. any exhaust shop can do it in under 30 minutes.. Or if you happen to have a torch and a little skill you can do it free at home.

That said.. I am going with the Titanium tips because the "blue" has grown on me.. and because if you really want to go back to a "stock" polished (non blue) look.. you can polish that blue off in 20minutes or less. So you really get both tips in a manner of speaking if you go Titanium Anodized.

Have you done a video of your with HFC's yet? I have them in the house waiting to be fitted, but i'd like a sneak preview :D

No not yet ~ hopefully spoorsy will come good with his Go-Pro as my camera phone doesn't really do them justice. ;)

@Chromatic ~ Fyi: The tips aren't welded on. They slide on and are held in place by U-clamps. This allows you to adjust the length they protrude out for people with different style bumpers on their cars. Also means they can be easily changed if needed. B):thumbs:

I have the Invidia, so my vote goes that way ;)

Is your avatar you?

If so.. wow! :teeth:

Ha ha, we wish, unfortunately not :(

@Chromatic ~ Fyi: The tips aren't welded on. They slide on and are held in place by U-clamps. This allows you to adjust the length they protrude out for people with different style bumpers on their cars. Also means they can be easily changed if needed. B):thumbs:

I see. I really, really don't like things that don't bolt or are welded. But Tips, I suppose that's fairly industry standard for aftermarket exhaust -- As long as the rest of the exhaust bolts together that's fine. (I'm just one of those "overkill" on how I design things.... ie: For every piece of wire I connected in my ridiculous installation I did on my 350 several weeks ago,.. I soldered every single connection whether it was 22gauge factory wire behind the headunit.. or the majority of the wire,.. 14 gauge aftermarket wiring. Of course I used a torch on the 4 Gauge power and Ground wires for the amp.

My bumper is stock for a HR 2008.. Good to know though, thanks!

Well since it's decided Invidia Gemini to go on a 2008 350Z, in place of my Stock exhaust.

Now you guys could help me with tips on installation (I'll be doing this solo with jack stands).

Some things I've heard.

1) You can VERY easily break a bolt in half removing the stock exhaust.. if you do so you'll need a torch to continue. (This very exaggerated? )

2) This on a difficulty scale (removal and installation of aftermarket exhaust on a 350) is a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1-10 (This accurate?)

3) You NEED a friend to get this done.

Well, I'm doing this by myself,.. so any tips on things to help while doing it solo?

My tools are more than your average joe.. which is none to a few dozen sockets -- I have a standard and metric socket set.. torches, pliers, vice grips, channel locks, a million different screw drivers, and on the list goes..

But, I don't have any deep well sockets other than your standard spark plug socket --

So can you guys list out the exact sockets, extensions, and any other tools/products I'll need to get this done so I don't get stuck in the middle of this needing a part?

Also,.. any tips/advice you may have for removal of a likely somewhat rusted stock exhaust,.. and then obvious tips on what you learned installing the Invidia Gemini system. -- This does turn the old exhaust into a true dual via an X pipe.. so it's not 100% direct replacement as far as how pipes are going to be (at least one more pipe will be where there is not one now.).

So whatever you have lay it on me.

Only thing I've heard right now with this Gemini is most shops put it UNDER (like towards the ground) the rear sway bar (IIRC).. which leaves unfavorable ground clearance.. and the advice was to simple rotate the piece before you bolt it in. Other than that I'm flying blind. -- Not scared in the least to do this.. It's exhaust for crying out loud.. Just don't know what to expect when I'm staring up at the old exhaust with a few inches (10cm-20cm) between me and the area I have to work with.. IE: Getting to the bolts.. then getting enough force to break the old ones free.. Then once free how to get it out while my 6ft , 200lb body is under it lol..

Thanks!

Can't help you on fitting as I took the easy route and paid my local garage to fit it. :lol: Didn't fancy trying to get my old Cats off as I heard it can be a pain and my drive ways on a slope with little room in the garage either.

You may have to cut some of the old exhaust bolts off if they're seized though for sure. :dry:

Can't help you on fitting as I took the easy route and paid my local garage to fit it. :lol: Didn't fancy trying to get my old Cats off as I heard it can be a pain and my drive ways on a slope with little room in the garage either.

You may have to cut some of the old exhaust bolts off if they're seized though for sure. :dry:

Hrmm.. doesn't sound good. Shops around here charge easily double rate of what anyone else says "installation" should be. So the standard is $100 I hear.. so it would be at least $200 install. puts me in a tough spot, with seized bolts..