About to pull the trigger on exhaust -- Which of these two?

Chromatic

Shipping got delayed from Pennsylvania Monday.. so it shipped today. But this amazes me.

It's listed on UPS.com as 72 Pounds ship weight.. and they are sending it Air (2nd Day Air) instead of ground shipping due to the delay.. and shipping cost was only $35. That's an amazing price for shipping a 72 pound exhaust system even within the US. Probably going 1000miles give or take.

Thanks to Tarmac, I got my exhaust delivered straight from the Invidia Factory in the US to my doorstep within 48 hours, was well impressed.

1EEAFAB4-B6FF-42F5-856A-72A9FAC4DCCD-81548-000008C3E47C80BD_zps9ba69206.jpg

That is impressive .. From US to UK in 48 hours. Mine will be here Thursday around Noon.

What I was impressed with is that I was able to haggle with my dealer a bit, and got mine shipped, brand new with my choice of tips and such of course.. For $800 US,.. I don't think anyone can beat that price to be honest. His starting price was already good.. at $850.. if you compare elsewhere it's $940 + shipping on cheaper websites and can go as high as $1200-$1350.

I really think $800 shipped is a steal for this exhaust,.. and for you guys, with the conversion US $ to Pounds.. it would be $489 Pounds -- So probably .. oh $500-$550 Pounds shipped to you guys (That's giving it over $100 room for shipping cost to ship from east coast,.. which is much cheaper than shipping from West coast to UK).

Though this guy , to my knowledge, doesn't ship overseas. I don't think Tarmac has anything to worry about haha.. And I don't know which currency you guys are referring to (when you quote what price you bought it for) as you have the Euro, Pounds, etc.

What did you pay for that 2 day shipping (same I'm getting.. (Air 2day (48 hour) shipping) From US East coast to UK? Did you need it in a hurry and pay a little extra for that? Or did Tarmac just get it to you that quick just for the heck of it?

Also, I suppose if going from US to UK.. it's pretty much going to be Air unless you want to wait a while on a boat :D

As for reference, the floor tiles are roughly 1ft x 1ft

Thanks -- So looks like that box is probably about 100cm (length) x 70cm (width) x 30cm (height) -- Rounding (As I said in my welcome/intro.. I watch primarily 99% UK television and am more in tune with Britian/UK than the US in those sorts of things..)-- So I've started to actually work on my use of the Metric system.. my brain fights me, but Inches, Feet, etc just don't make sense.. and it's nice to know how to utilize both, though I'm sure you guys can calculate Meters, cm, Kilo's etc to Feet, Inches, Miles MUCH faster than I can the other way around. ;)

If I'm even close to right.. That will fit in my hatch just fine.

But is everything in that ONE box? Because some of those pieces look like they would NOT fit in such a size box. If it is one box,.. then Bravo Invidia -- you designed one hell of an exhaust AND designed one hell of a packing system for it lol.

Bullet you've been really invaluable with these pictures, box pictures, and so on.. I'm going to take pictures of everything as well just to have it in archive as this kind of stuff is impossible to find on the net lol. When I add my Stock vs Gemini exhaust video on Youtube and post it to the thread,.. I'll probably have pictures of my factory exhaust and how I loaded it in the Zed,.. pictures of how that box fits just fine in the Zed,.. and when the box arrives I'll make a picture like you did and then use MS Paint to draw some rough arrows of the dimensions (takes 20 seconds to do that.. Photoshop takes longer to load lol).

I'm excited,.. this mechanic is very cool.. He will let me help him with the install (I know I'm paying him..) -- But if I can help I can also help ensure it's routing, and get a little experience while I'm at it. :)

Thanks to Tarmac, I got my exhaust delivered straight from the Invidia Factory in the US to my doorstep within 48 hours, was well impressed.

1EEAFAB4-B6FF-42F5-856A-72A9FAC4DCCD-81548-000008C3E47C80BD_zps9ba69206.jpg

Invidia is located:

Invidia-USA

2656 Chico Avenue

South El Monte, CA 91733

Tel: 626-448-0150

Fax: 626-448-2816

Sales: Bernard@jetworld.com or gordonj@jetworld.com

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2656+Chico+Avenue+South+El+Monte,+CA+91733&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80c2d08f32f9e787:0x90e17bd0990100ea,2656+Chico+Ave,+South+El+Monte,+CA+91733&gl=us&ei=X_jxUr3XCcnkyQGyi4DYBA&ved=0CCkQ8gEwAA

12318003473_df87703b47.jpg

So you did get it straight from the Factory -- Mine is from a Warehouse,.. If Invidia has an East Coast warehouse that's what it is.. But I don't think so.. I think it's just a Performance Part Company, and my Vendor doesn't "stock" big stuff like this for obvious reasons and obviously gets X hundred profit from a sale as I'm sure he gets what he sold me for $800 for like $650-700 if I had to guess.. I'm sure he's making at least $100 off me. That means, as I suspected,.. Invidia sells to a distributor for probably about $400 (give or take).. and probably makes the system for $200 or less.. (Tons of meat has to be left on the bone (profit) ) With this stuff.. As there is usually at least Invidia to a large supplier, then a middle man like my guy who gets a cut -- so that's "two" cuts and markups -- The higher priced versions of this same exhaust are people who are greedy,.. or more likely just don't get the negotiated deal this dealer does. I'm sure it has something to do with you sell X volume of product you get Y price.. I dunno,.. Tarmac is a bit unique as he's the primary/sole UK Invidia dealer for the whole country? Where my guy is just one of many.. but sold a few hundred of these last year, so does decent volume I guess. (Judging by his iTrader scores and feedback).

Hopefully mine will be just as "Fresh" as yours lol.. :D

I didn't have to pay extra for the speedy delivery, it is part of Tarmacs excellent service.

He quotes prices with shipping and taxes (import duty and VAT) included, so there are no hidden charges.

There was a point in time where he was shooting for sole distributor status for Invidia, but I believe he stopped pursuing that and settled for major distributor instead.

And yes, the whole exhaust, including tips and fitting kit is contained in one box and everything is wrapped individually in plastic and bubblewrap.

In the UK we still use the imperial measuring system (imperial....British Empire and all that jazz), whereas the rest of Europe uses metric.

I too find metric easier to use as I was raised in Germany, so I wouldn't be able to tell you my height in ft & inches, but can say i am 174cm tall, lol

And yes, the whole exhaust, including tips and fitting kit is contained in one box and everything is wrapped individually in plastic and bubblewrap.

In the UK we still use the imperial measuring system (imperial....British Empire and all that jazz), whereas the rest of Europe uses metric.

I too find metric easier to use as I was raised in Germany, so I wouldn't be able to tell you my height in ft & inches, but can say i am 174cm tall, lol

Good.. deal.

I thought the UK had been Metric for a long time.. and the US was the stubborn ones -- But we got our "imperial" standards from you guys.. duh. :) lol..

Oh I learned the Miles, Feet, Inches, Gallons, etc.. FIRST.. got very little time in comparison on Metric -- and in my adult life am learning Metric conversions between the two.. as they are both in popular use and just using one is silly.. Some things use Metric standards more broadly, and others use Imperials more broadly..

I am 6ft ZERO inches ;) And between 182-183cm's.. I am 199lbs..or 90kg.. blah blah.. Kph does look MUCH faster on the speedometer lol.. But you guys fill your tanks up with liters.. and these cars have insane gas tank sizes.. so you guys put what 80 liters in a bone dry tank? Sheesh.

Invidia Gemini w/ blue tips for sure!

Hey Darren.. glad you said that, cause that's what I ordered this past Saturday night lol. Invidia Gemini with The Titanium Rolled "Anodized" (blue) tips. Will arrive Tomorrow.. :D I'll have it on Friday.

If anyone has any requests of pictures of the box, packing, what this or that piece looks like up close with pictures (or even an unboxing VIDEO) I'll do it.. no problem.

Yeah, UK has a mix of metric and imperial. Litres at the pump and miles on the road.

80 litres for a tank sounds about right

Yeah, that makes much more sense than the all Imperial system here.. Seems the mix there is all the "good" Imperial measurements/figures and the good Metric ones.

I honestly Prefer miles over Kilometers.. I prefer MPG over Kilo's per Liter.. I don't know about Liters vs Gallons.. But I guess Gallons because it's a lower number -- And from what I've seen you guys pay a TON of money t fill the car up.

I'd say $100+ pounds? It's an 18 gallon tank.. so it costs me about $70 to fill up (depending.. that's when it's cheap) - and I put premium in only.. Which you guys have an advantage on us..

We have 93 Octane at most gas stations (petrol stations) as our best.. which runs about $4 a Gallon.. So A bit under $80 to fill up. Though this car might hold between 18-19 gal, bone dry.

And I've read somewhere you have like 95-97 even 100 octane fuels.. Someone discussed it and said that much of the UK's 95 Octane is equiv. to the US's 93.. quality.. but that since you guys have above the 95.. you still have an advantage we don't have access to.

Of course I can put 108 Octane Racing fuel in it.. but at $10 a gallon.. or more, I'll pass ;D

Not sure if it's the same for the US 350Z's but our UK Zeds are set up to run only on Super Unleaded petrol. E.g: 97 Octane and above ideally. They will run on 95 Octane fuel too obviously but it is not recommended for long periods of time or at higher rpm/heavier loads.

As far as I'm aware the highest Octane fuel we can buy is 99 Octane from Shell called V-Power. B);)

Not sure if it's the same for the US 350Z's but our UK Zeds are set up to run only on Super Unleaded petrol. E.g: 97 Octane and above ideally. They will run on 95 Octane fuel too obviously but it is not recommended for long periods of time or at higher rpm/heavier loads.

As far as I'm aware the highest Octane fuel we can buy is 99 Octane from Shell called V-Power. B);)

That's why I think the US's 93 (our normal top octane ) is somehow close to your 95-96 range... Because the engines are made the same.. high compression, etc.. and without the 93 octane you are going to get predetonation etc..

I'd have to look more into it.. but the rating system must be a little diff. between the pond..

But you guys still have a higher available octane than us for sure.

There was a discussion before where we figured out that US vs EU fuel octane ratings were different.

I always look forward to trips to Germany, Shell V-Power Racing 100 :D

Yeah the first day I got this car I put Seafoam (1/4th a bottle.. much less than directed) into a full gastank.. I put 1/8th into the Oil,.. and used a vacuum line for a minute for part of it.. and still have a bit left.

I also needed a bunch of supplies for detailing I was out of.. and ended up picking up some crazy expensive "true" Octane booster than boosted 20gals by 4 points (was like $30 for a small bottle).

I dropped tha in as well.. And pulled the neg. battery terminal that night.

I was really expcected MUCH worse gas mileage with this car.. while it's certainly not GOOD.. it's sustaining 23.5-29Mpg.. Averaging 23-24mpg with ciy driving. Which is a testament to how light I can keep my foot and my shift points.

THough I do have a stong feeling the MPg is going to fall significantly with this new catback.. ;)

One reason I'm also taking it super easy on it is because these cars are known for CLutch slave cylinders to go out.. and driving them hard constantly certainly doesn't help this. I think after exhaust my next upgrade *may* be an aftermarket Clutch..

Or should I just let this one burn for another 20,000+ miles (if it goes that long.. 27k miles on car now).. then replace when this OEM one is gone?

I'd really like to get the JDM CLutch pedal bracket that allows you to properly adjust your cl utch pedal lower to the floor while keeping the throwout bearing/clutch disengaged when you are pressing the clutch in. But it's $300-$500 last I checked.

I did do the manual clutch adjustment myself about 2.5 Turns which significantly helped the clutch height and how it transitions in first gear, and into second.. As first gear was always a little tricky with the release point being SO high on the factory clutch.

But I don't adjust it all the way because I've read too many stories of premature failure of the clutch from this as people's clutches would be slightly engaged at all times when they went too far.

You guys and having the Auto-bahn relatively close by.. that must be insanely nice!

I passed 100K miles, still on original clutch

That's cool ~ I can't find any paper work in my Zed's history for a clutch change & I have a good history with my car from new so I'm guessing my Zed is still on it's original clutch as well at around 89K miles now. :)

Hope mine goes past the 100K mark like yours has. B);)

• Like 1

Chromatic, there's a chap selling one on here just to let you know, of your first choice. Check the for sale section.Think he wants 650 plus a stock exhaust though?

I assume you mean for an Exhaust CB system?

Just received my Invidia Gemini.. It's now in the Garage. That box is A LOT bigger than I pictured after seeing the pictures from Bullet's box on the floor. I measured the cargo area of the Z.. and it's something like 40-42" wide, and 11" (under the lip) high.. (length doesn't matter in this case..But it's like 38-41" long ).. I haven't measured that box.. but just from eye balling it , it doesn't appear that it is going to just drop right into the Hatch and close.. maybe it will.. Worst case I have to take it out of the box.. :)

I need to look up what this exhaust vs factory weighs.. the ship weight was 72lbs.. Take away the box and the "rounding" by the shipper.. This exhaust is somewhere in the 60's.

Just looked up what Factory exhaust weight was/is.. and it's 67.5lbs Stock (30.6 Kg).. In my short search couldn't find the weight of the Invidia Gemini CB .. I'm sure it's out there,.. and I'm sure it's lighter than stock, but not by much.

Thanks though --

I passed 100K miles, still on original clutch

That's what I like to hear. I'm super good on clutches,.. with the good habits I developed from signing up to a Racing course to learn how to drive (properly) when I was 16,.. and moreover with my old age (34) not pushing the car very often.. (Shift under 2500-3k RPM 99% of the time) I'm hoping this clutch will hold out for quite some years.

It's sort of luck of the draw with Z's and the Clutch Slave Cylinder,.. but I also think it's also people who fail to admit or realize that when you rag the hell out of a car it's going to make any part that's the weakest link in the "chain" so to speak.. fail prematurely. Not that plenty of drivers have had their Slave cylinders fail even at a few K miles after buying the Zed new.. but still you know what I mean.

Hope my mechanic isn't otherwise too "busy" for the install tomorrow.. I'll do some quick sound videos stock v new -- and if I can find the stupid Charging cord for my Digital camera I'll charge it up to see if it gives a better sound than the Iphone which has a Crossover built in to cut 200hz and below off.

Exhaust arrived.. lugged it inside.. And just for reference here it is in Box next to me.. I'm 6 Ft. Tall (1.83m):

12355758214_3d908e1178.jpg

Box opened without touching anything:

12355147625_4d68b79d90.jpg

Box with some packing removed: (decided to not take it off so it doesn't get nicked up while moving it around before installing).

12355324363_abf444b905.jpg

The Tips (one of them anyway) :) : (Titanium Rolled Lip)

12355594094_c2ce0a2d8f.jpg

Very well protected.. as I already said MUCH larger than I expected from the picture that was shown.. But this is about what I expected when I ordered it.. An exhaust is large.. especially a dual exhaust.. I'm surprised they could pack it in this box, but it's not overly packed.. it fits well with a lot of room to move around.

• Like 1

FFS what have you not fitted it already :stir:

:lol:

lol.. I've had it for a few hours.. Earlier in the thread I said I'm getting my mechanic to throw it on as he quoted in my "limit" of must be under $100 to fit.. Exhaust came late afternoon,.. and getting it put on Friday (tom).. ;)

Otherwise I'd be putting it on now.. likely cursing , bleeding.. and cutting bolts out that got stripped or otherwise wouldn't come out.. :D

I may end up bringing the car in 10 mins before his shop opens to be the first one in.. so there's no chance of him having some job that came in unexpectedly and not being able to get to it.

Main thing I need him to do is remove old exhaust.. putting this exhaust on is about a 40 minute job with hand tools and jackstands.. With a lift and impact wrenches maybe 15-20minutes. Removal of old exhuast + plus installation of new exhaust (as you guys say "fitting".. lol -- makes me smile because it's a specific exhaust designed for my car .. it better fit absolutely perfectly..) should be oh.. 40-45 minutes by a mechanic of any skill level with a shop/lift/impact etc.. He's $95 an hour.. and I'm sure that's what it'l be $95 + tax. I may could get a cheaper price at a muffler shop somewhere downtown.. but I trust this guy, and he lets me help get under the car etc (all against safety/company policies I'm sure ) .

Good thing about this Invidia Gemini exhaust is everyone who has put it on has said it doesn't take any "fitting" or adjustments.. it lines up near perfect just from hanging and bolting.. Any adjustments , if needed, are incredibly minor.

I know you were being facetious :D

you've definitely made the right choice - will transform the car when fitted. once i've done a few tiny things like brakes and tyres, swapping my cobra for a true dual is next on my list!

I think so to.. I can change that to a *know so* hopefully today. I did the brakes and new set of rubber first week I had her in December.. Since then I've done a laundry list of improvements. Now is the right time for the exhaust. ;)

Just had her out and about.. was trying to get a good listen to the stock with windows down (even in the cold).. windows up.. getting on it a little.. gearing down etc.. Just for a good comparison. I'm hoping it will be a night and day difference, even inside the car. Though I did purposely choose a "quieter" exhaust out of what is available, but it isn't much of an exhaust if it's stock quiet lol.

Edited by Chromatic

the standard exhaust is just naff... sounds very quiet at low rpm, and then at high rpm it just makes a whooshing sound, sounds all wheezy and horrible :yuck:

even a cobra is a huge improvement - can hear a noticeable difference above 3500rpm, the note hardens and just expresses power, rather than restrictions. and then when the exhaust is hot, lots of love pops and crackles on the overrun, which sounds awesome.

a true dual will take that even further - can hear a bit of the V6 in the cobra, but need a true dual to hear it clearly. my old 300zx had a true dual and sounded :cloud9:

the standard exhaust is just naff... sounds very quiet at low rpm, and then at high rpm it just makes a whooshing sound, sounds all wheezy and horrible :yuck:

I wouldn't go that far with Stock exhaust on the 350.. I think it sounds "Decent" for a stocker.. It's mainly the 3.5 liter engine that is making the noise though,.. The Z's engine has won multiple prestigious awards and is by far the best design on the car. All the models engines are great.. but the last few years in the HR motor they started redesigning the entire motor design in a "transition" to the 3.7Liter .. So the HR motors have as much in common with the 3.7 liters as they do with the 03-05/06 3.5 motors believe it or not. Horsepower is increased, but the actual 0-60 and so on is very negligible.. I believe for all that redesign and upped HP to 306 stock on the Manual 6speed.. it netted 0.1 seconds 0-60mph lol.

The dual intakes are a great improvement though.

even a cobra is a huge improvement - can hear a noticeable difference above 3500rpm, the note hardens and just expresses power, rather than restrictions. and then when the exhaust is hot, lots of love pops and crackles on the overrun, which sounds awesome.

a true dual will take that even further - can hear a bit of the V6 in the cobra, but need a true dual to hear it clearly. my old 300zx had a true dual and sounded :cloud9:

Yup most any exhaust is going to be an improvement.. But there are a few exhausts out there that just KILL the VQ unique sound.. absolutely annihilate it.

The Invidia does not.. it just brings it to life if you will. I won't get the FULL sound out of this dual exhaust for a few hundred miles as it heats up the welds and burns the inside out a bit.. the tone will deepen and resonate further as it "breaks in".. and that's no "placebo effect" either lol.. This thing will likely be smoking for a bit on the drive home (white smoke) from the welds, and virgin material inside.

It's interesting you already have a perf. exhaust on and still want to invest in the Invidia.. that's cool. I didn't initially care much about going true dual.. I wanted the Nismo S tune.. and was STUCK on that -- but after 2 people sold out from under me.. and it being impossible to locate after that.. I started looking elsewhere.. and the Invidia Gemini was the recommendation from EVERYONE.. I'm talking at least 20-30 people I personally asked on forums.. I haven't seen one BAD review online in any form ,.. on any website (youtube, forums, reviews on performance sites that sell the exhaust, etc.).

I did find some Dyno charts from someone who JUST put the cat back Gemini on.. nothing else.. And they gained a real world 11 hp at the rear wheels. That's substantial! I am not buying this for power.. but 11hp you could feel (slightly).. but only slightly.. Takes 20-30 hp to really feel it , but just depends on how familiar you are with the car I guess.