Never Clayed Before: Is it worth a go?

Darren350

I find 'solid' wax to be the most durable, which I keep topped up with a spray on sealant every so often. Paired with a decent shampoo the paintwork will keep the wet look after every wash and bead for months.

Hellshine Eliminator polish/paintwork cleanser and Dodo Juice Supernatural wax are my products of choice. The Eliminator is really powerful applied by hand, never used anything that comes close to the performance of it.

I'd recommend using a tar remover (like Autosmart Tardis) and Iron X to remove as much contaminants as possible before claying.

Thanks for that Tiger, my car is black so I'm assuming purple haze is for dark colours and banana for lighter?

Dodo juice recommend purple haze or blue velvet for darker cars however as jp606 says, the supernatural is said to be very good. My zed is due a wax this month so I'll try the supernatural this time . . . . .

I'll get another clay bar incase I drop the first one then, lol

Do DODO JUICE do a polish as well then guys? So far I've got 2 buckets, a chamois, a clay bar and the lube. I think a few items remain such as polishing cloths, a wash mit, the polish, and a good detox shampoo.

Don't use the whole bar at the same time. With the DJ bars, I tend to use 1/3rd at a time. Bin the chamois as well and get some decent microfibre cloths - the Nissan paint is so ridiculously soft it's easy to inflict marring.

Detox shampoo isn't entirely necessary if you're claying (or polishing for that matter) because the clay will remove much more than the shampoo anyway.

With regards to wax, any of the DJ waxes will do a good job (colour charged waxes are nothing but a gimmick), whether it's a hard wax (like Purple Haze) or a soft wax (like Blue Velvet) will make more of a difference - you can even use them together, Purple Haze with Blue Velvet layered on top.

I've just clayed my bonnet yesterday and boy do my arms hurt today it was the only bit left to do and hadn't been touched in 10 years so it was really bad with contaminates. Still after a wash, clay, Meg's ultimate compound, polish and wax oh and 6 hours later it's looking very shinny (a bit ott maybe lol)

Be carefully which clay bars you buy and how often you clay your car as some clay bars can be very aggressive, personally I use Sonus SFX ultra fine which is very mild.

Depends on how bad your paint it. If you've got tons of swirls and marks then you'll need a DA machine and some cutting compound, but if it's pretty good then you may not need a polish at all.

As a very basic step, try some Scratch X 2.0 from Megs. Yes, before anyone jumps in there's better stuff out there for doing specific tasks, but as an all-rounder that actually gives results if you do it by hand and is impossible to get wrong, then I'd say it would be perfect for the OP without seeing how bad/good the paint is.

I'd say out of 10 the paintwork is at about a 6/7 out of 10. 10 being showroom new and 1 being a red Astra from the 80s lol. It looks fine to be fair but there is sone very minor fade on the drivers top half of the door. A few light scratches by the rear boot hatch etc. All hardly noticeable apart from to me lol.

I don't want to machine polish and dont mind getting stuck in to make it look amazing.

There are very light scratches on the tailgate, and what appears to be some light machine polish attempts that seem to show through on the drivers door that I can notice. Maybe I have OCD though lol. Surely a decent polish attempt can't hurt it though so its worth a go lol

Ekona, is it possible for the holograms to never be removed? As in are they likely burned into the car? I could get a professional detailer to do the car but I eant to try myself first for a laugh lol

Nope, should always be possible to remove them unless someone has massively bodged it and taken most of the paint off.

Ekona I just purchased the Megs Scratch X 2.0 from ebay on your recommendation thanks mate. The car has a few scratches and a scuff on the rear bumper thats very light but quite large.

I'm hoping it will make these marks look alot better. Should I purchase ANOTHER polish to then go over the entire car with or can I use the Scratch X to polish the entire car before waxing?