Never Clayed Before: Is it worth a go?

Darren350

Nice one, ta mate. Im assuming that the dodo juice 30ml panel pots are as they say and only good for a few coats on one panel? Or would it cover an entire car?

Also Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax looks quite good and over 400ml only costs £12 or so via ebay? Would this be a good wax to use after I've polished the car using the Scratch X?

Edited by Darren350

You can, but there's no point. A single coat of a wax is enough, if done correctly. Multiple coats are pointless unless you can leave 12 hours or more between them to allow the first layer to fully cure.

Remember, wax is 99% for protection, and just 1% for extra shinyness.*

*made up figures, but you get the point.

Ah right, sod more than one layer then lol. Ive got arriving the following:

DJ Lube and Clay Bar

Meguiars Scratch X 2.0

DJ Purple Haze

That should see me right I'm hoping! Any decent and affordable Quick Detailer spray waxes?

The best spray sealer/wax on the market which isn't stupid money is this by Carpro. it blows everything out of the park by miles, Ive got a bottle of the Acrylic spritz by dodo juice and it doesn't come close car pro reload.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140961565165?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I personally don't really rate Dodo juice supernatural. I find it doesn't have a very long life, after a few weeks mine used to stop beading, I switched to autoglym HD wax and its miles better. Goes on easier, comes off easier, cheaper, has a great shine and if you give it 2 coats will still be beading like crazy for 2-3 months.

DDSN might have changed their formula since i had it (been about 3 years) so i don't know if its improved, but i won't be going back to it.

Edited by 350 Russ

The DJ lube is a QD, so you can just use that.

Spray wax is different than a QD, any product that claims to do both is lying and compromises on both. A QD is used as a lubricant, whether that's for clay or for a quick wipe over when or to get rid of bird crap (you'll mark the paint a bit, but that's better than a paint stain from acid poo!). A spray wax is IMHO a very cheap and poor substitute for a proper wax, although it's much easier to use.

Of course, I'm now going to totally contradict myself and mention things like DJ Red Mist, and the equivalent from Blackfire (both of which I use), which do add gloss and beading and can be used as a QD. Expensive way to do it though, and much better to have a cheaper separate QD. I use a 5L tub of the Megs Last Touch, cheap as chips and lasts for ages. :)

Thanks mate. I'm not too fussed about car shampoo as I'll be claying the car after the first wash / before the second wash. Should I get a better shampoo or stick with my bog standard stuff for now?

Thanks for everybodys help so far, I've bought everything based on the advice on this thread lol

Remind me again what shampoo you have now? Although tbh as long it's not fairy liquid anything will be okay.

You really don't need to do another wash after claying though, it really is overkill and just wastes time as you'll then have to dry the car as well before starting polishing. Actually, do yourself a favour and grab yourself a huge drying towel like this one, as it will make your life sooooo much easier.

the problem with a chamois is that your in effect rubbing a flat surface over your paint work and if there is and specs of dirt of grit on the chamois then it will be scratching your paint and creating swirl marks which kill any shine your paint will have. Microfibre towels like the one posted above have a deep grain of pile which traps dirt and pulls it away from your paintwork so should reduce a lot of the swirl marks.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, the dealer clearly had no clue how to use a machine polisher properly leaving me with LOTS of holograms. Numpty lol

Will a claying, polishing and waxing rectify this or am I best getting a professional detailer to sort it out for me so that I have a decent base car to clay etc?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

or am I best getting a professional detailer to sort it out for me so that I have a decent base car to clay etc?

You would clay before polishing so getting a pro. detailer to "sort it" should include claying as part of the pre-polish cleanse routine. You certainly wouldn't then clay it again after polishing (well, not for another 6 months or so), and you should be aware that clay can itself mar the paint so it may need polishing again after you've clayed it.

You might want to consider a filling glaze in the mean time. If you want to have a crack at it yourself, you can (not necessarily will) get a half decent finish polishing by hand (it certainly won't be perfect though as Ekona mentioned), you could then use a filler heavy glaze to hide the remaining swirls before sealing and/or waxing. Obviously this option is a temporary measure as the swirls will still be there when then glaze wears off.

or am I best getting a professional detailer to sort it out for me so that I have a decent base car to clay etc?

You would clay before polishing so getting a pro. detailer to "sort it" should include claying as part of the pre-polish cleanse routine. You certainly wouldn't then clay it again after polishing (well, not for another 6 months or so), and you should be aware that clay can itself mar the paint so it may need polishing again after you've clayed it.

You might want to consider a filling glaze in the mean time. If you want to have a crack at it yourself, you can (not necessarily will) get a half decent finish polishing by hand (it certainly won't be perfect though as Ekona mentioned), you could then use a filler heavy glaze to hide the remaining swirls before sealing and/or waxing. Obviously this option is a temporary measure as the swirls will still be there when then glaze wears off.

Hmm, I ideally want a permanent solution and fix so a filling glaze isn't really an option.

And I don't fancy using a machine myself as clearly even the dealer didn't know what they were doing so I would only make things worse. Alot worse hahaha

It may sound daft but do ding master etc not use machines to polish etc after they've sorted out a nasty dent or anything?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk