Never Clayed Before: Is it worth a go?

Darren350

Tbh, as long as you use a DA not an orbital then you'll find it almost impossible to make things any worse. They're safe as houses, unless you're a massive pillock. Which I assume you're not ;)

You assumed wrong! Hahaha

Tbh mate I really just want it sorted by someone that can say "Yes I can sort it" who knows what they are doing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

And I don't fancy using a machine myself as clearly even the dealer didn't know what they were doing so I would only make things worse. Alot worse hahaha

The dealer won't have allowed enough time for the car to be properly finished, hence the poor job. There's also a fair chance that correct products for the paint (or job!) weren't used either as they'll just use a generic bottle of AIO which gets used on all cars going out the door.

If you really are set on using a professional; http://www.summit-detailing.co.uk/. And you'll be after the correction detail. ;)

Far be it for me to hijack your thread Darren mate but just a quick question that I think may be relevant to you too. This's my first jap car with notoriously soft paint. I've always previously stripped off old contaminated wax with lime prime which also polishes prior to wax. I do this every 3 months and clay every 6. I think the lime prime is too harsh so I've bought some SN micro prime. I'm concerned even the fine abrasives in this could be too harsh for the soft paint but Surely the old wax needs stripping off prior to every fresh coat of wax? As ever Google opinions vary greatly!

Lime Prime is fine for soft paint, it's as mild as anything,

Unless you're polishing to remove defects, there's no need to clay or strip the wax off. Just wash and top up the wax, until you get to the point where you feel you need to start again (once a year should be enough).

• Like 1

Far be it for me to hijack your thread Darren mate but just a quick question that I think may be relevant to you too. This's my first jap car with notoriously soft paint. I've always previously stripped off old contaminated wax with lime prime which also polishes prior to wax. I do this every 3 months and clay every 6. I think the lime prime is too harsh so I've bought some SN micro prime. I'm concerned even the fine abrasives in this could be too harsh for the soft paint but Surely the old wax needs stripping off prior to every fresh coat of wax? As ever Google opinions vary greatly!

i used to use lime prime every few months but i got a bit concerned as its abrasive as you said. I switched to using a pre wash of All purpose cleaner and then a contact wash of 4 times the usual dose car shampoo and its strips it bare without cutting any paintwork like the Lime prime does.

• Like 1

I'll use the sn micro this time being as I've just bought it! I'm trying supernatural wax this time too.

Any views on acrylic sealent for maintenance after a regular wash? Never used it personally but was considering the sn version when my rm tropical runs out.

Wouldn't bother with it, I used it on my daily driver with no other protection to see how good it was and I was thoroughly disappointed, RM tropical is miles better IMO

Cheers Russ, saved me a few bob! If you don't mind me asking which all purpose cleaner and shampoo do you use?

Oh and a Blackburn fan in Herts??

Wouldn't bother with it, I used it on my daily driver with no other protection to see how good it was and I was thoroughly disappointed, RM tropical is miles better IMO

Cheers Russ, saved me a few bob! If you don't mind me asking which all purpose cleaner and shampoo do you use?

I use this shampoo, i haven't been using it too long but have been thoroughly impressed with it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muc-Off-Ubershine-Car-Shampoo-1L-/360663579877?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item53f9397ce5

All purpose cleaner is the same everywhere really I've found so i just use tescos own brand, daisy i think its called but don't hold me to that.

Its a dirty job but someone has to do it ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...