Bad start to the day - Nice dent in my 350Z (and pride)!

Hi guys,

Finally getting round to posting on here after joining when I bought my 350Z a few months ago.

Unfortunately, today I managed to make a rather silly mistake!

It was completely my fault - changed lanes wrongly assuming car alongside me was turning right, and just went in to his front left wheel arch. It was dark, and raining heavily and I really should have known better. But nobody was hurt and it was only at about 15mph, right outside the main work gate, so plenty for everybody to see and stare at!

My car took the worst of the damage (as pictured), he 'only' got some scratches on the front arch and bumper on his brand new management XF-S :(

Looking at the damage, I'm lucky that it's all in the door and not on any other panel. My insurance excess is £350 - do you think I can realistically find a decent repair place that would be within that kind of cost? As his car is a JLR management car, I expect that he will have to go through the insurance and therefore get my insurance company involved.

Pics:

XwZEk8El.jpg

ALLCryYl.jpg

Not a good start, my car was in great condition before that point!

Oh crap! Not a good start. I think a panel beater could repair it, but even if he can't, doors aren't that expensive second hand. The only problem is his car.

if he has to go through insurance does that mean you still have to pay the excess even if there is no claim for your car? Not sure.

If it ends up you have to pay £350 for his you might as well get yours done for "free", otherwise you'll almost certainly get that repaired for less that the excess.

Given its your fault and the other guy will be making a claim for his repair just let the insurance companies sought it out and stomp up the £350 as I would expect you will be looking for more than that for both cars, even if were done privately.

Unfortunate, but hey, you have come clean so credit for that and even better if your' no-claims' is protected?

Yeah, the no claims is protected, but it'll still go down as a fault and claim on my future insurance, and looking at it, it'll add at least £150 to the cost of my insurance next year.

It wont be possible to get the other car done privately as it's a management car, so has to be formally reported and go through all the standard hoops.

My understanding is that I'd only have to pay £350 if I were to claim, and I don't pay anything when their insurer claims from my insurer.

I'm off shortly to a couple of body shops to get some quotes, so I'll base my decision and next steps from then.

Oh crap! Not a good start. I think a panel beater could repair it, but even if he can't, doors aren't that expensive second hand. The only problem is his car.

if he has to go through insurance does that mean you still have to pay the excess even if there is no claim for your car? Not sure.

If it ends up you have to pay £350 for his you might as well get yours done for "free", otherwise you'll almost certainly get that repaired for less that the excess.

A panel beater would not touch that lol and it will cost him more in the long run if he uses his insurance.

You will be best off finding a new door in the correct paint color.

Even if a body shop would repair it, a good body shop will blend that in to the front wing and rear quarter so its not just the door they will paint. It will cost at least £350 anyway.

Well after taking the car to two different body shops, both had different opinions, but both said costs would be in excess of £450.

First said they wouldn't be confident trying to rework it as the impact has pushed the panel in to the impact bar and stretched the metal. Then said better to get another door then colour match it.

Second said they'd be able to do it, but would cost £450 and not guarantee the line.

So I've just spoken to the insurance company and I'm just going to go through it with them, it'll be less hassle (hopefully).

Cheers