squeel from belt? on start up only

JohnUKVetteNut

A/c belt or alternator belt ~ can happen at this time of year because of the cold. Mine has done it once or twice in the last few weeks.

Inspect the belts to see if they are worn/cracked/perished at all and worth checking to see if they are tight enough (as this could cause the squeal).

If you do need new belts you can PM a trader on here for a good deal (ZMANALEX/Clarkmotorsport/Horsham etc). :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are squealing on startup, and even mid-drive with the demister blasting.

The belts are both new less than 6 months ago (squealed from the outset), and I've since retensioned the belt myself (didn't work), then got it looked at by a mechanic who said the tensioning was fine. Ironically, they didn't squeal at all prior to replacing them, but they were looking a little cracked, so I did.

Anything else to check? Would a new heavier duty battery help? As there are no other indications that the battery is on its way out, I'm loath to go that route just yet.

Mine are squealing on startup, and even mid-drive with the demister blasting.

The belts are both new less than 6 months ago (squealed from the outset), and I've since retensioned the belt myself (didn't work), then got it looked at by a mechanic who said the tensioning was fine. Ironically, they didn't squeal at all prior to replacing them, but they were looking a little cracked, so I did.

Anything else to check? Would a new heavier duty battery help? As there are no other indications that the battery is on its way out, I'm loath to go that route just yet.

Tensioner pulley bearings, alternator pulley bearings, make sure the alternator/ bracket is tight ( if it's moving even slightly it will alter the belt tension)