Anyone know what this is?

JetSet

I recently discovered this (and 3 other identical ones) while out searching for a lost cat...now found. They are all in remote places that very few people would know about and they weren't there in 2011. There are no markings and the tops are all locked so I can't peer into them with a torch. Non of them are near any utilities, water, drains, electric or telephone and there is no gas in this area. I'm completely baffled as to what they are and what their purpose is :shrug:. They are about 2'6" tall and 6-8" wide.

P1015842_zps71495bec.jpg

Pete

If you REALLY want to look, cut the lock off, have a look then ring whomever is responsible and say that "a load of children were playing around with it and you scared them off whilst looking for a lost cat, oh and that they may want to lock it in the future" ;)

• Like 1

Some sort of collection device for an environmental survey type thing? Water or soil monitoring?

Could be, 2 of the 4 are fairly close to disused quarries another one is about 40 feet from a stream but 15 feet above it, the 4th one is close to a disused farmhouse. Maybe there is some equipment in there that they come and change the batteries every now and again like for example seismic monitoring or my other thought was it was something to do with the O/S. I've no idea how far they go down but they are all embedded in concrete. They did some test bores just a couple of hundred yards away from the one I photographed about 10 years ago, there's certainly some coal in the area but AFAIK not enough to justify getting it up. The local mine about half a mile away was closed in 1936. Getting equipment to the one closest to my house without me noticing would have been just about impossible and there's no sign of any tracks or new fencing anywhere at all.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Don't they use similar things to test the water table?

My first thought was a test bore for gas/shale :shrug:

Ah, very high water table around here. As far as shale goes, this is certainly an area they are looking at but no licences have been granted. Also isn't shale really deep down, that would need a lot of drilling and would have created loads of spoil and there doesn't look to be any. Keep in mind that the only vehicle that could get to this spot would be a helicopter, no roads, no tracks even.

Pete

I thought the same, vent for a old landfill

Now we may be getting somewhere....landfill but not an old one, the quarry this is near was earmarked for landfill, approved but now planning permission has elapsed and the company behind it have gone bust. Could be test drillings by the environment agency to see what's down there in which case they would have been drilled in 2012, no idea why it should be locked though. Apart from the people who put it there I'm probably the only person who knows this exists but maybe its locked to stop people dropping things down it :lol:

Pete

Edited by JetSet