Powder Coating Plenum and Throttle Body ** Now Painted **

Paddy78

I have managed to get hold of a spare Plenum and TB which I want to powder coat black (To match my black Takeda intake which is imminent). I know that people have powder coated plenums before, but has anyone ever done a TB? Is it even possible due to the electric current / heat and the fact that the TB has electric / plastic parts?

What prep work should I be doing for the plenum before I take it to be PC'd or will they just sand blast / acid strip it? Same question for the TB if I have to paint it myself. I assume you can't just remove the rivets and separate the plastic control box from the body of the TB?

Any help or advice appreciated! :thumbs:

Edited by Paddy78

Buster sprayed his TB

I can't say that I would be happy to have mine powder coated due to the electronics - happy for you to do it and tell me if it still works.

If you have the plenum sandblasted make sure you have it well cleaned before putting it back on.

You should really sand the plenum down a bit and polish it up before PC as the "dimples" do show through.

I did think of drilling the rivets and seeing if the TB could be stripped for PC but haven't got that far yet.

Keep us informed.

Thanks guys, not sure I'm going to be the pioneer with stripping the TB... but you never know! Taking it apart will invariably break it though! :) I'm looking to get the same texture as the Takeda intake which I believe is slightly textured, like a wrinkle finish

Thanks guys, not sure I'm going to be the pioneer with stripping the TB... but you never know! Taking it apart will invariably break it though! :) I'm looking to get the same texture as the Takeda intake which I believe is slightly textured, like a wrinkle finish

Ignore this then ^ :lol:

Thanks Graham! Your's and Marky's were the 2 that I'd seen painted. I think I'll just spray that matt black to minimise the chances of destroying the TB. :thumbs:

O darn - I wanted to see if it would take the heat and still work :lol:

Prolly the best choice really :)

I don't even live remotely near the Zed Shed, so you wouldn't even have to help sort out the mess! :lol:

The Zed Shed does have a postal address :stir:

O Thanks mate :lol:

I do have a spare TB so I may yet try this though ........ watch this space

don't hold ya breath mind!

• 1 month later...

So, first sunny weekend of the year and I decided to give painting the Plenum and TB a go. My car is still in the bodyshop, so really starting to get Zed withdrawals!

Paint

Paint.jpg

Prepped Plenum and TB - Tibby was no help whatsoever!

Plenum+Prepped.jpg

Finished Article

Plenum+Finished.jpg

Plenum+Finished+2.jpg

It's not perfect, but not too bad for my first attempt at spray painting. Depending how anal I get about the finish I might redo it, but overall I'm really pleased with the result. Does anyone know if you can put wheel sealant on these to give a bit of extra protection?

• Like 3

I quite like that :thumbs:

You can put wheel sealant on - weather it would do any good and what it would smell like I'm not to sure :lol:

Hi heat lacquer may be a better option?

This is why I ask the stupid questions! :)

speaking of stupid questions... anyone know the difference between the AKCD03 and AKCD02 plenums? CD02 is what I have on my Rev Up, but is there anything different in terms of flow???

• 2 weeks later...

There is not difference between the two plenum codes. I think it's just their model number change, maybe a different consistency of materials used?

I've never seen a difference between the two.

Looks smart though Paddy :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...