The overheating probelm that has baffled the Zed Shed

laidbackluke

iv been comparing headgaskets theres HKS, Cosworth and Cosmetic.Hmmm if yours takes seconds then i might just be off the hook. still havent tested her today.. scared me thinks.. if it overheats thats my day ruined. :surrender:

I very much doubt it will take seconds mate, to get to the heads alone is a big ass job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iv been comparing headgaskets theres HKS, Cosworth and Cosmetic.Hmmm if yours takes seconds then i might just be off the hook. still havent tested her today.. scared me thinks.. if it overheats thats my day ruined. :surrender:

I very much doubt it will take seconds mate, to get to the heads alone is a big ass job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No i meant if yours takes seconds to overheat.. as i managed 2hours yesterday without it over heating but before it was 5-10mins and id have to shut her down.

Sorry to see that your head gasket has gone. Quite unusual on the VQ35 NA I'd be wondering why the head gasket has failed, perhaps it's related to the over heating issue, if there is an airlock in the block you get hot spots that warp the head & allow for the gasket to leak.

Sorry to see that your head gasket has gone. Quite unusual on the VQ35 NA I'd be wondering why the head gasket has failed, perhaps it's related to the over heating issue, if there is an airlock in the block you get hot spots that warp the head & allow for the gasket to leak.

I doubt this was caused by overheating more this caused overheating, we changed the engine and the Zed ran for 2 weeks as a daily with no problems, no overheating.

Then it started overheating and we found a small amount of air in the system so assumed an airlock - we bled the system and the problem was fine for about 1 or 2 days.

We thought possible thermostat sticking so we removed it - fine for a week.

We got a known working thermostat and put that in - instant overheat - again thought air lock and spent ages bleeding and trying to sort it out but with the thermostat in it would overheat.

At this point we were baffled :headhurt:

Then it started to overheat with the thermostat out spent some time on it on Saturday and ran the block test which read positive for zorst gasses in the coolant system - blown head gasket is most likely or possibly worse - split ,liner crack in head etc. It does now however have all the signs of a blown head gasket that is getting worse.

Next stop - engine out again probably this weekend. I'm going to speculate that when the engine was rebuilt a non standard head gasket was used and has now failed but we won't know the full extent of the failure until the engine is stripped down - watch this space.

Still hope to have him back on the road next week though :ninja:

Edited by Keyser

I would consider sticking a new rad in just to make sure.

If the old one is partially blocked that could be the cause of the overheating which in turn means you cook the engine and hence the head gaskets go.

They dont fail for no reason so delve deeper as there has to be a cause.

As I said to you earlier at the DJCC meet, hope you get this sorted mate and get on the road back asap. Really felt for you yesterday :(

Kudos to the Zed shed team though once again, truly one of a kind.

was it bought from a reputable person? it sounds to me like the head gasket has previously gone so they changed the engine and just put new gaskets in the old one and didn't get the head skimmed, which is why it only lasted a few weeks.

Thats all it sounds like to me in my opinion, I've been known to be seriously wrong before. :blush:

Well the story goes that the old engine was down on compression on 2 cylinders - this was diagnosed as burnt or badly seating zorst valves. The engine was removed and the heads refurbished by an engineering company (I think there are receipts for this)

The heads went back to the original owner but they had a change in circumstances and sold the shell, mods and engine (after being rebuilt) separately to get rid of it quickly.

That is the story as far as I know it anyway - the engine was bought privately and "as seen" so no come backs and the head work was not done for the current owner and we don't know that there is anything wrong with that work anyway.

The engine fired first time and was run on a 70 odd mile round trip daily for the next 2 weeks.

The car it now sits in has no history of overheating but the reason for replacing the engine to start with was a spun bearing.

We are replacing the rad and shroud this time round anyway. I do hope to strip the current engine after it is removed just to see if we can find out what actually went wrong.

Keyser are you self taught mechanic? Also I'm pretty sure you don't bite your no a mechanic are you?

Strange question I'm not a mechanic by trade no - do I want to know where this is going?????

Keyser are you self taught mechanic? Also I'm pretty sure you don't bite your no a mechanic are you?

Strange question I'm not a mechanic by trade no - do I want to know where this is going?????

See I'm self taught and do all the work on the cars in our house. I just have immense respect with someone of your knowledge and someone who does it for other people. :thumbs:

• Like 2

See I'm self taught and do all the work on the cars in our house. I just have immense respect with someone of your knowledge and someone who does it for other people. :thumbs:

Thank you- I think (hope I'm not being setup here ;) )

Started at the age of 10 - Found a moped on the farm we moved to - stripped and rebuilt that followed by several more, left school and did an apprenticeship as a mechanic - got my light engines and chassis certificate in the loft somewhere :lol:

Made redundant so went into electronics for a while now in IT but still love the cars - so enthusiast with a bit of a background.

The knowledge is easy - Google is my friend ;)

• Like 1