What colour refurb............??

Space Cadet

To cut a very long story short I'm going to have all 4 wheels refurbished, as one was refurbed plain silver (rather than the OEM 'smoke-chrome' colour) by the previous owner, and another wheel was scuffed by a tyre fitter.

Anyway, the place where I always take my wheels has said that they could get an OEM 'smoke-chrome' (or whatever its called) colour and all four would match, but if I was to curb one in the future they wouldn't likely be able to match it to the existing others - they would all need to be done again.

I can therefore just go for a standard 'normal' colour such as a various shades of silver, or grey etc.

The car is metallic grey and I quite like the OEM grey/silver finish but don't want to tempt fate by getting them done in the 'smoke chrome' therefore was thinking of gun-metal metallic grey??

Has anyone any photos please of a grey 370Z with grey wheels or any other sensible suggestions, I guess its got to be anywhere between silver and black........

Thanks!!

Edited by Space Cadet

I had mine done, kept it the same colour tho my sprayer kept pushing me to go darker. I think the OEM colour is the way it should be.

I agree the OEM colour looks great and really suits the car, but as mentioned if I/we marked a wheel in the future it wouldn't be able to be matched again as the colour is not a solid 'out of a tin' colour.

I think the smokey colour is got by lightly layering black on top of silver (or however they do it), so say it takes 4 passes of black all four wheels would be done at the same time and all would match but if in the future I curb a wheel the sprayer would have to know it took 4 passes and what procedures were taken.

That's why I'm thinking a standard 'out of the tin' metallic grey or similar would be easier and if I curb a wheel in the future I can just have it refurbed with "metallic grey, paint code 1234".

Shadow-Chrome - that's it!! Couldn't remember what it was called. If its an 'out of the tin' colour then will definitely go for it. it was just that the refurb guy (who I know reasonably well from having had lots of wheel done there) said that it wasn't a normal type of paint/or procedure and that it would be impossible to get a perfect match if wanting to do just one wheel again in the future.

Shadow-Chrome - that's it!! Couldn't remember what it was called. If its an 'out of the tin' colour then will definitely go for it. it was just that the refurb guy (who I know reasonably well from having had lots of wheel done there) said that it wasn't a normal type of paint/or procedure and that it would be impossible to get a perfect match if wanting to do just one wheel again in the future.

I was in the same boat as you when I had the Black Edition. Eventually had all four wheels done in a single stage colour as the OEM smoked chrome look is a two stage finish, which a lot of refurb people struggle to replicate accurately. It wasn't a decision I regretted - wheels looked good and game me peace of mind if they needed a refurb in future....(The dark OEM Rays basically involves a black undercoat dusted with silver.)

image_zpsf796ddd3.jpg

Edited by sipar69

Thanks, they look great, are they just a normal metallic grey?

Thanks. Yes they are a metallic grey - one stage paint. From memory, I think the colour was called Island Pearl Grey. I basically just went to the refurb guys and looked looked at some colour cards against the car, then picked the colour I liked. I also made a note of the colour code for future reference. I did have to get one wheel redone a year later after curbing it, and the whole process was pretty painless due to them being able to match the colour exactly. :)

I'm 50/50 at the moment, will either go for the shadow-chrome again and worst-case have both wheels on the same side refurbed in the future so as to match, or simply go for a standard metallic-grey and like you be able to get just the one wheel refurbed if needed in the future.

Wow, they look great!

I gave the car its first wash yesterday and once clean decided I really like the standard shadow-chrome colour so will go for that again and also because I want to keep it standard looking as probably wont have it for more than 12 months.

A touch darker would look great but definitely not lighter.

• Like 1

Are the Black Edition wheels as standard the same shadow-chrome as my 'normal' edition, or are they a) a darker shadow-chrome or B) just a dark metallic grey?

I've had a look on the web and I quite like the look of the dark grey, which i think would look great with my mid grey car, but would think about a darker shadow-chrome if that's what the Black Editions came with to try and keep it a bit OEM looking.......

Thanks, are they a darker version of the normal 370Z shadow-chrome, or just a dark metallic-grey?

It's definitely not just a standard metallic grey - it's a two stage finish to give a 'smoked' effect. You can get some idea of the colour in this picture of my car. My first Z had the standard colour and it looked like a normal silver although I believe that's also a two stage finish. If you want I'll take a better picture of the wheel at the weekend and post it up.

Current car

Nismo1_zps17ff3697.jpg

Thanks mate, much appreciated. My normal wheels are, like you say, a two-stage "shadow-chrome" smoke colour but they're still quite silvery, as mentioned I'm having them reconditioned soon and therefore have the option of changing the colour if I want. I like the look of your darker, but still the two-stage smoke colour, therefore will go for something similar. Wont be for a few weeks now as am off on holiday, but will post some photos when they're done.