Michael Schumacher out of hospital and coma

neo

Answer is who knows. You will always get speculation in cases like this, because at this stage

nobody knows the outcome, a top skier spent 3 months in a induced coma recently and when

awoken within several months later was back as an instructor, in Schumacher's case answer is

who knows..Philippe Streiff who I know well shares the same surgeon as Schumacher, so did he tell him that..who knows. ..??

_72077693_2cbaudk6.jpg

This is what Philieppe Streiff said translated from French..:

The life of the German Michael Schumacher , seven-time Formula One world champion, is not in danger but feared that fit sequels for the accident, according to one of the doctors to a personal friend of former driver, Frenchman Philippe Striff.

Streiff, a former Formula One driver, spoke with Dr. Gerard Saillant, one of the surgeons who care for Schumacher and said, "I'm not a doctor, I'm just repeating what I said Saillant and told me that the situation is serious but that the Michael's life at risk but no more fear for the consequences. "

The hospital officially confirmed information Streiff, but the press aide Schumacher left the inpatient facility with a calm face.

Streiff fears for those sequels and even believes that the German left with a paralyzed part of the body or to lose speech.

"They're making it scans every day to see how clots are absorbed, the faster you will be less sequels. But if the bleeding continues, at risk of having a stroke or loss of speech," Streiff said as Globo Esporte.

French friend of Schumacher raced in Formula 1 between 1984 and 1989 in the Renault, Ligier, Tyrrell and AGS teams and became paraplegic when it crashed in Rio de Janeiro in a private testing in Jacarepagua. He ran 58 races and had 11 points.

Schumacher still being held in a coma in Grenoble, after serious accident on December 29 when practiced skiing, fell and hit his head violently against a rock on the snowy slopes of Meribel.

His father Rolf, his wife Corinna, his children Ginamaría and Mick, and his brother Ralf, also a former Formula 1 racing driver, are installed in the hospital, praying and hopeful recovery.

Well, that's cleared it all up then :wacko:

As I said , who knows, his recovery at the moment is in the lap of the Gods and the hands of the surgeons

and until he comes out of the induced coma ..nobody knows.. they can all speculate, but every serious brain injury is

different in its outcome, from no permanent damage to severe brain damage.

I just wish Michael a speedy successful total recovery. :thumbs:

I've been following this story closely, as im sure we all have. I've become a very big fan of Shumi during the latter part of his career... i hated him during his Benetton days battling with Damon Hill but grew to respect him as time went on.

Reading about his ongoing treatment is quite upsetting. My Wife's mum had a sudden brain hemorrhage 5 years ago, and the she underwent all of the same stages of treatment that they're saying Shumi is going through. Induced coma, cooling the body, inter-cranial pressure monitor etc. The latter being quite a horrific looking procedure (think Frankenstein style cut in your skull.) It was the same story from the doctors every day too... 'she's stable, but critical'. Sadly after 11 days of this we were left to make the heartbraking decision to switch off her life support.

I know there are probably differences in the prognosis etc and you never know with each case, but for me and the way things are being described, sadly i dont think he's going to wake up and if he does i dont know what quality of life he's going to have.

Sad times.

Michael Schumacher was skiing at a "leisurely" pace at the moment of the accident that has left him in coma, new website Der Spiegel reported, citing a video taken by a German witness.

The witness, a 35-year-old steward, said he was filming his girlfriend with a smartphone when he captured by chance the moment Schumacher slammed his head against a rock in the French Alps.

According to the witness, Schumacher was descending the slope at a "leisurely" pace - "a maximum speed of 20 kilometres an hour".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher-skiing-at-a-leisurely-pace-video-shows-20140104-30apl.html#ixzz2pWsG00Vz

Been following this too, apparently he is an adrenaline junkie although at the time of the accident not doing anything 'that' dangerous really...

We all have to go sometime and if this is it for him then fair enough, but let's hope he pulls through.

This is very impressive....

8yda8yqe.jpg

Although I didn't know Chevy Chase drove for Ferrari :shrug:

• Like 2

UPDATE. NOTHING MUCH NEW.

Jan.6. Media interest remains at fever pitch as Michael Schumacher's coma after his skiing crash in France enters a second week.

Philippe Streiff, a former F1 driver paralysed in a 1989 testing crash, caused the biggest stir at the weekend when he visited the hospital in Grenoble.

The Frenchman told reporters after his visit that he had spoken with doctor and mutual friend Gerard Saillant who said Schumacher, now 45, is "out of danger".

"He (Saillant) said it is a serious condition but his life is not in danger any more, thankfully," Streiff said.

He also provided new details of the German's injuries, including the apparent risk that the former Ferrari and Mercedes driver could be left "hemiplegic", or paralysed on one side of the body.

He also said the nature of the bleeding on the sides of Schumacher's brain endangers Schumacher's speech and motor skills, but Streiff's comments were dismissed by manager Sabine Kehm as "pure speculation".

Kehm insisted her boss remains in a "critical but stable" condition, and Streiff later told France's RMC that Schumacher is in fact in "a stable but serious condition without deterioration or improvement".

It is believed that the doctors in charge of Schumacher's recovery could give a full medical update to the media on Monday.

At the same time, French authorities are investigating the circumstances surrounding Schumacher's skiing fall, which was reportedly captured by video on an eyewitness' mobile phone, who said the German was travelling at no more than 20kph when he hit rocks and struck his head.

The authorities issued a statement urging the media against "spreading false information" about the investigation, according to France's L'Equipe.

Nonetheless, the respected Sunday newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche cited hospital sources in claiming the most recent brain scan undergone by Schumacher had "very bad" results.

And Kehm denied that the Schumacher family only reluctantly gave up the 'Gopro' camera that was attached to his helmet. It is not known if the camera was recording at the time of the crash.

"The family gave the camera to the investigating authorities voluntarily," Kehm is quoted by Bild newspaper. "That this was done against the wishes of the family is untrue."

Finally, Dr Johannes Peil, who treated Schumacher in 2009, revealed that an artery in the driver's brain was damaged in that serious motorcycle crash.

He said the old injury should not affect Schumacher's recovery now.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of speculation in the Mail.

http://www.dailymail...-rest-life.html

Follow up from article above.

It seems an article in The Daily Mail has everyone concerned. I’m being asked what I think. Here goes.

I hope we’ve all been VERY worried since the first reports of Michael’s accident. That surely is the appropriate attitude.

The guys quoted in the online article I saw have taken care of patients like Michael. They have not, however, examined Michael, reviewed his scans, etc. Because their titles imply that these men are consummate professionals, I’ve no doubt that they made clear (much clearer than the Mail does) that they were speculating as to possible outcomes.

Because that is what they are doing.

Look, I think that we need to look at this speculation rather like the arrival time estimates of your satnav. Their initial estimate is based on some assumptions and statistics. Obviously, as you get closer and closer to the destination the estimate gets better and better. Duh.

It is highly unlikely that when Michael and his family are finished with hospitals, finished with rehab centres, he will be the same Michael we had known until that Sunday.

Having said that, which is admittedly saying very little that isn’t, unfortunately, painfully obvious, the range of impairment we may see spans the spectrum from mild sensory/motor/behavioral problems to more dramatic sequelae.

Once again, patience, long painstaking work by all concerned, and just maybe our thoughts, best wishes and prayers will be needed. Long periods with no news are perfectly normal, and will remain so. We will likely enter a chronic phase, punctuated by (hopefully) several steps forward and (hopefully) many fewer backward.

Edited by WhackyWill

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/16/michael-schumacher-skiing-accident-coma_n_4609507.html

Michael Schumacher could be in a coma for the rest of his life, according to medical experts.

German news magazine Focus reported "Schumacher could be in a coma forever" after consulting experts on his condition.

The Formula 1 legend remains in a critical, yet stable condition at a Grenoble hospital after he hit his head on a rock while skiing in the French alps on 29 December.

Schumacher, who turned 45 on earlier this month, has also had an operation to remove a small part of his skull in a bid to relieve pressure on his brain. While in a coma, oxygen to the brain is reduced, and it therefore works less.

Unless these 'experts' have direct access to scans and MS all their views are purely conjecture.

Contrary to popular belief medicine is no a science, far from it, virtually every patient behaves different, show the same scan/information about the same patient to three different doctors and the chances are your get three different opinions, sometime very contrasting opinions. When it come to neuro-surgery it really is a case of wait and see, I doubt very much any of surgeons/doctors looking after MS can say with any confidence how things will go, which is why they are not commenting. I've lost count the number of times I've told relatives their family member is literally hours from death door, only to find the same patient recovers and a few weeks later walk out of hospital, granted thats rare but it happens more often than you think....stick with waiting from news from the guys looking after MS, not random conjecture.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2

Latest on Schume. No longer critical, which is a step in the right direction.

Michael Schumacher stable, according to latest update

By AP | 17 Jan, 2014, 09.15PM IST

3 comments |Post a Comment

Read more at:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/28964955.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst