I'm stupid

HAMLNJ

what year is your car and how much does it use?

It's a 55, a whopping 107k on the clock, mostly motorway miles. With full servicing history. It's difficult to say, I put about 200ml very two weeks. Maybe a little more

Not a 296?

No, older. 280

Hmm 200ml isn't much I suppose. My car is older with only 6k less miles and burns no oil. I wonder why it does that also I'm not sure how much this will affect it or if its even noticeable but I'm sure I read buring oil reduces the octane in fuel injected?

This is the first car I have had that burns oil. Doesn't leak that's for sure. I have read so many threads from people saying they all burn oil. Strange. I put 99 in it.

Strange thing though, on occasions when I boot it I get a fine sweet smelling odour of oil. Not all the time. Could be the semi synthetic Iv been putting in ?

It's the 296's that are infamous for burning oil, i've little to nothing about the earlier cars doing so, but I'm sure like all cars, there are a few cases about.

• Like 1

You could run the entire engine on semi-synth if you wanted, it won't cause a single problem at all. I wouldn't do it long-term (10+ years) as it's simply not as effective as a decent fully synth, but for topping up or even over the course of a three year ownership, it won't cause a single problem at all.

I wouldn't even break a sweat over it :thumbs:

• Like 2

Cheers for the comments guys. This site is worth it's weight in gold! Servers are heavy right?

It's booked for an oil change today. It's looking a little tarnished anyway and the last owner changed the oil and filter Inbetween services so might as well keep that up. Had it 6 months now and I'm going to be owning it for a long time.

Some do, some don't.

In theory on a modern engine that's looked after well then it should help, by removing all the crap that sticks to everything. On the other hand some of that crap may be holding the engine together, or you could loosen off chunks that then don't drain out and float around the engine and block stuff up, and that could cause serious issues.

Each to their own, I used to use it but I don't bother any more. Make of that what you will.