Apex Springs

JordanHill

No disrespect to Apex or the Corsa brigade but for an item that critical to handling if only touch the offerings from companies that R&D the product for the given car and also good quality manufacturing not just some generic and cheaply made springs.

Eibach, H&R or Tein come to mindðŸ‘

Bought my Apex on ones off CS, fitted last year, about 4k miles on them and are fine, slightly harder than OEM but nothing extreme, car looks much better now, make sure you get the adjustable arms for the rear unless you're a fan of camber

Ohh bloody hell does it give crazy camber? Really dont want to change anything else haha and think theres enough camber atm!

For the money they're pretty hard to beat and if someone was that interested or worried about the handling, they'd be getting coilovers rather than just springs. No set of springs is going to destroy the handling and bang for buck the Apex seem pretty good.

For twice the price with the same drop the Eiba h are supposed to be better handling springs but they'll still not be even close to a full set of coilovers.

If you're not tracking the car or riding it hard, buy them, they'll do the job :D

I disagree! This general perception that coilovers are better than OEM is flawed.

First of all none if us are building a pure race car so coilovers are not a necessity to improve the handling. The factory damping is very good and takes into consideration general comfort/ rude quality across a very wide market so there is some compromise. A slight stiffer spring and drop matched to the dampers can do wonders and that's the quality you get with the likes of eibach.

Cheap springs will sag woefully over time and put you worse than you started!

Finally the OEM setup is a true coilover at the front and outboard spring at the rear so what are you saying. It's normal racing practice to change the springs depending on track or application/ setup.

The like of eibach just sacrifice a bit of comfort for handling while within the OEM damper which is quite good. The real advantage of coilovers or adjustable systems is tunability! And you need to know what you are doing. My zed has no OEM suspension part left and its been a learning curve to get it to do what I want and it's still a compromise👀

You misunderstand me :) What I as trying to say was: if you want a 30mm drop, the Apex are good for the money, of course if you want a better ride/handling you'll have to spend almost twice the price for the same drop or drop half the height for about £50-60 more by buying Teins.

I imagine the Apex to be pretty hard, harder than the Eibachs which are harder than stock as it is. So if you want a nice drop and a non bone shattering ride, coilovers would probably be the easiest bet as you can adjust the dampening and possibly the spring rate if you've really splashed out. But, this is all irrelevant as the OP is just asking if the Apex springs are complete crap, value for money and the best in the their price range, which in my opinion, they are good value and I can't think of any other 30mm(ish) springs for around the same cash. :)

Edited by KyleR

go on save the cash and cut a coil off the top of the OEM springs ;)

I new a lad in a ford Orien who did that it looked ace and bounced all over the road !!!!!! And don't for get spring clamps lol...

I'm after the same thing to drop my Z but can't make up my mind on what to do coil overs or lowering springs. But with putting 30 profile tyres on the ride as gone a lot harder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://auto.howstuff...50z-design2.htm

http://auto.howstuff...50z-design3.htm

Worth a read before you convince yourself the standard setup is completely useless.

Most changes people make are because they want to drop the car to improve its looks and after spending money normally convince themselves it handles better where in truth they may just swap one compromise for another.

Theres a big difference between spending 2k on a suspension set up and £150 on a set of springs. By all means go ahead and do the mods you want but just be aware that nissan spend a lot of money on R and D to suit the car and all road conditions not just one route that a change may appear to improve the handling on.

This is why insurance companys want to know about mods you do as very many of them may actually compromise the performance of the car and make it worse.

Edited by gsexr

http://auto.howstuff...50z-design2.htm

http://auto.howstuff...50z-design3.htm

Worth a read before you convince yourself the standard setup is completely useless.

Most changes people make are because they want to drop the car to improve its looks and after spending money normally convince themselves it handles better where in truth they may just swap one compromise for another.

Theres a big difference between spending 2k on a suspension set up and £150 on a set of springs. By all means go ahead and do the mods you want but just be aware that nissan spend a lot of money on R and D to suit the car and all road conditions not just one route that a change may appear to improve the handling on.

This is why insurance companys want to know about mods you do as very many of them may actually compromise the performance of the car and make it worse.

Those links (and the rest of that piece) have some really interesting bits. Top post :thumbs:

Didn't think we had tyre pressure monitoring?

Not sure if it's market dependent but I've definitely seen the bulging tyre symbol on a dash in google images before and my workshop manual confirms that its at the bottom left of the dials :shrug:

Didn't think we had tyre pressure monitoring?

Not sure if it's market dependent but I've definitely seen the bulging tyre symbol on a dash in google images before and my workshop manual confirms that its at the bottom left of the dials :shrug:

JDM option maybe?

Go for the Teins. A nice sensible, subtle drop and you don't need new rear camber arms. They are a well recognised manufacturer of quality springs too, a lot of people favour them on here over the Eibachs due to the smaller drop. I've got a pair sat in my garage to fit soon.