New fuel consumption record for my Z - I'm still in shock

GC350z

At the weekend I travelled home to visit my mother. 241.8 miles there and back according to the AA route planner. Fuel light was on on Friday night with the DTE showing about 20 in the tank so I put €30 in working on the assumption I’d have to put more in before returning to Dublin. €30 gave me 25.66 litres. On Sunday when returning to Dublin the price of fuel was way higher in Waterford so I decided to plough on and get fuel when I had to. DTE said something like 67miles in the tank. Not good when I had a journey of 120.9 to do. After passing the last gas station about two thirds of the way to Dublin I remembered I needed fuel. Then the light came on. So I decided to have a go at the Clarkson game of driving as far as possible with the light on.

Using an online converter because I’m lazy I got a figure of 42.83 MPG.

Oh yea before anyone says it was all on motorways, the total distance travelled on the M11 was 29.6miles. The rest was single lane and dualer. Shame I only get between 9 and 19 MPG in the city the rest of the week.

I doubt the figure was that large at all. You have way too many unknowns to come up with a figure. The fact you filled up with the DTE saying 20 miles but then did not fill up till way beyond that and was supprised how far you got on the red light means you could have covered lets say another 40/50 miles. On such a small sample that could mean you actually got 10mpg less

The only way to come up with any sort of reliable number is to work it out from a full tank. An empty tank can't be used as you never know how much there is in there as the DTE can't be trusted and the gauge is not accurate enough.

Of course the figure isn’t accurate but does go to show the reserve is big. I don’t think there’s any point in trying to get an accurate figure. With a full tank you add weight so why bother. I know for a fact I’ll never play that game again. The fuel pump became very audible and sounded like it was gasping. To make matters worse on the day a match had just ended in the city and I had to make my way through the crowds to get to the petrol station. I had all the electrics turned off, windows closed, car getting very hot, fans going almost constantly, was getting very twitchy, tapping my figures constantly, fuel pump complaining behind me, DTE showing “- - -“ for what seemed like forever. The last thing I wanted was to run out of gas, in my glorious sports car, in the middle of a crowd of people who were already all pointing and commenting at the car. When I did get to the petrol station and removed the cap the air pressure blasted out of the tank. Never again.

I made the effort of zeroing the mpg/ave speed guage this weekend when going to Worcester....

Going there = 25.8mpg Ave Speed 64mph

Coming back = 28.1mpg Ave Speec 61mph

ALL Motorway driving. Mostly on Cruise Control. How the hell does anyone manage 30mpg+ I drove like a Saint. And NOT Simon Templar!

I made the effort of zeroing the mpg/ave speed guage this weekend when going to Worcester....

Going there = 25.8mpg Ave Speed 64mph

Coming back = 28.1mpg Ave Speec 61mph

ALL Motorway driving. Mostly on Cruise Control. How the hell does anyone manage 30mpg+ I drove like a Saint. And NOT Simon Templar!

I can promise you Jonathan that the run to wales i can easily get 30+mpg, done it loads of times. :thumbs:

Yes, tis a mystery. What I've found is my wife is somehow capable of outperforming both me and the cruise at driving featherfootedly. I've not figured out how, but she manages to average around 30 pretty easily, where I with the best will in the world, can only get about 28.4 or so.

Granted Stew - I don't live on the Motorway so had to get there on 40 & 50mph roads which were about 25 of the 118 miles each way. Still disappointed though. If I have the patience then I may try cruise control at 70 and see if it gives a significantly better mpg

Most of my miles are mototrway and I average about between 30 - 34MPG @ between 70 - 90MPH.

When giving it beans round "B" roads and town driving I get about 16 - 20MPG.

If your all getting crap MPG try re-setting your ECU`s especially if you have exhaust and filters on as the ECU can re- adjust fully to your mods. I know its a learning ECU but it will never give you the full benefits unless you do a full reset. :thumbs:

Most of my miles are mototrway and I average about between 30 - 34MPG @ between 70 - 90MPH.

If your all getting crap MPG try re-setting your ECU`s especially if you have exhaust and filters on as the ECU can re- adjust fully to your mods. I know its a learning ECU but it will never give you the full benefits unless you do a full reset. :thumbs:

I heard reference in another post that you can reset the ECU by use of the peddles. Could someone explain how this is achieved.

many thanks

mark

I heard reference in another post that you can reset the ECU by use of the peddles. Could someone explain how this is achieved.

many thanks

mark

The following is the correct procedure for resetting the ECU

350Z ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

A stop watch or an analog clock with a second?s needle will be useful.

Operational Procedure

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ?ON? and wait 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds**, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

**The 7 seconds starts from the end of the 5 seconds period above it does NOT start from the 5th release of the accelerator pedal.

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5. Wait about 10 second.

6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink but at a a faster rate).

8. Turn ignition switch to ?OFF? position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU

Really doubt 40+ mpg.

I get around 29-30 on my daily work run (10 miles in town and 45 miles motorway) at a lazy "near limit" mph. Never seen more than 35mpg and that was in a long section of flat 50mph limit on the M4 in 4th/5th. The economy was worse at the same speed in 6th which is down to the engine not operating in an efficient range.

Got that drive to work is boring :)