Taken the plunge,MPSS

Daryl

Just taken the plunge on a full set of MPSS, to replace the Falken 452's currently on my car. Thought id try out what everyone raves about, and got a good price at Hi Q fully fitted for £910, Tyre Universe wanted £850, but then id need to get them to somewhere to be fitted, which is £15-20 a corner, so to save all the transport hassle etc, thought this was a good deal. Not ideal just before xmas, but nevermind. Will be interesting to see what they are like.

• Like 1

From a 452 owner I am looking forward to seeing your reports. Downsized to the Rays with RE050's for the winter and I am not impressed with these!!

Really, I thought the RE050s were great tyres (not as good as MPSS or AD08s though) and are meant to be better than the Falkens. You sure they aren't the dreaded RE040s?

From a 452 owner I am looking forward to seeing your reports. Downsized to the Rays with RE050's for the winter and I am not impressed with these!!

Really, I thought the RE050s were great tyres (not as good as MPSS or AD08s though) and are meant to be better than the Falkens. You sure they aren't the dreaded RE040s?

It might be a size thing as I am use to 245/275 not 225/245 but at present I am getting a lot less traction. 100% RE050A's with 6mm+ tread.... :dry:

I used Falken 452's for 3 years or so and felt comfortable with them as a tyre, the feedback and handling etc. Having switched to the MPSS I'm glad that I did, not that the 452's are a bad tyre, they are a good mid-range buy. However, the MPSS are so much more capable and give better feedback, handling, grip etc, that I will be buying them again when I come to replace the current set. In my view, they are worth the additional cost without question, but it does come down to budget.

I'm a convert to MPSS too!

I put a full set on about 500 miles ago, and the difference is really noticeable.

However, I found a large nail in the osf when cleaning the car this morning, so a bit gutted I've got to replace one so soon, particularly as they're not the cheapest around!

Well not much tread on my rear 452's, and thinking that as its winter, it would be a good idea to get some new boots all round.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the MPSS not Michelin's highest performing summer tyre, or have I missed something?

Well as I couldnt stretch to summer and winter tyres, i figured that having brand new tyres in general is better than having some with only a few mm of tread left. Drove all through winter 2011 with new Falken 452's and survived, so hoping to do the same with the MPSS'ssssss

Well not much tread on my rear 452's, and thinking that as its winter, it would be a good idea to get some new boots all round.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the MPSS not Michelin's highest performing summer tyre, or have I missed something?

No more so than the 452 are Falken's highest performing summer tyre, or the RE050A Bridgestone's highest performing summer tyre.

To avoid confusion, if a tyre isn't specifically designed for sub 7c usage, then the trend is to start calling them summer tyres. The amount of water the MPSS is designed to shift makes it the best all-year round tyre you can buy.

Well got them fiited at lunch time, and have to say that I really like the look of them. (I know this is irrelvant). But because they have a rim protector on them, they appear wider than they actually are, and as a result appear less stretched. Only driven 5 miles on them, so cant make too much of a judgement. However, there does appear to be more communication through the steering wheel for is going on, which is nice. Going to take a few miles to get rid of the mould release, but going to Birmingham tomorrow, so hope that will do the job. Will be posting my 452's for sale shortly, if anyone is interested. Rears have a few mm left, fronts have loads left.

Will report back after the weekend with how the tyres are feeling.

No more so than the 452 are Falken's highest performing summer tyre, or the RE050A Bridgestone's highest performing summer tyre.

To avoid confusion, if a tyre isn't specifically designed for sub 7c usage, then the trend is to start calling them summer tyres. The amount of water the MPSS is designed to shift makes it the best all-year round tyre you can buy.

Are they M&S rated? If not you will have a problem today as its snowing. I don't get the MPSS are amazing compared to 452's thing. The GSD3's or F1A2's are amazing compared to 452's. Plus the rate 452's wear the MPSS will probably work out the same price over time.

The gsd3s no. They have their good points but the f1a2 are better in all ways including noise. The gsd3s are noisey. It started to get cold before I had a chance to properly test but the mpss seek to be better in a few places but obviously with have to wait till it heats up. If mpss wasnt available the f1a2's would be my next choice. Better than the vreds and falkens which IMO are quite soft. Good tyre but these ones are just better.

Edited by Dblock