172 track car

paulashy

Ive been doing quite a few trackdays with a group of others recently and a couple of the lads have 182 Cups, you'd be amazed how close a well driven one is to a Z33 in pace over a lap. Only problem theyve been having is that GT3's and the like wont let Clios past, I have to take the lead and they follow me through :lol:

Up there with MX5 as trackday bargain, you wont be disappointed :)

Seem to get great reviews from both owners and others that have been on trackdays with them, you seem to be able to pick them up quite cheap as well but have lots of fun in them, like you say can show up a lot more expensive and powerful cars with them. Hopefully my z will sell soon (as much as I don't want to get rid) and pick one up ready for the start of next year. Love the feeling of a proper trackcar with a cage, buckets and harnesses

My son has a 182 fitted with coilovers and Milltek exhaust / decat for road use.

You can fit throttle bodies, cam change and remap but the power gains imo dont justify the cost.

Or you can go down the forced induction route which will cost you a couple of grand at least.

I'm sure the standard motor will be fine for starters together with a few suspension mods and decent brake pads.

To be honest they're pretty good straight out of the box!

I was at Oulton this week in one; 172 Cup base but with an LSD, decent coilovers, R888 tyres, stripped, caged, uprated discs and pads, buckets, harnesses, decat exhaust and air filter. The cornering speeds were incredible, and despite it being obviously slower than the Zed in a straight line nothing bar race cars passed us all day. Ive been looking at them myself for a track car this week as well now!

I was at Oulton this week in one; 172 Cup base but with an LSD, decent coilovers, R888 tyres, stripped, caged, uprated discs and pads, buckets, harnesses, decat exhaust and air filter. The cornering speeds were incredible, and despite it being obviously slower than the Zed in a straight line nothing bar race cars passed us all day. Ive been looking at them myself for a track car this week as well now!

Oulton seems a popular place for clios, I was there on the 16th and there was loads. There was even a v6 one there but I didnt see that out on track.

I'm currently considering a DC2 Integra or Clio 172 as a track car for myself as it would make more sense than the mx5 I've currently got because then at least I will also have a car with some luggage capacity and some back seats.

Edited by Gudzy

Oulton seems a popular place for clios, I was there on the 16th and there was loads. There was even a v6 one there but I didnt see that out on track.

I'm currently considering a DC2 Integra or Clio 172 as a track car for myself as it would make more sense than the mx5 I've currently got because then at least I will also have a car with some luggage capacity and some back seats.

Thought about a Puma 1.7 as well? I've seen a few of those, plus my missus' dad has one sitting rotting SORN on his driveway which would be perfect.....

Love oulton such a good track, would be looking for around 200bhp tbh that's plenty to have fun and get very fast lap times. Looking at one at the moment with all the mods but without and lsd, has a fiesta st before the z that I poured money into and tracked but for everyday use it was terrible, the ride was awful. But think as a second car is the best way, 200bhp with a good geo set up and think it will be a very fast and fun car, usually go to the ring every year so will be good to see what its like compared to the z next year

A mate who I usually go to the ring with has a 106 gti, now I'm not a massive fan of the car but again there a track car you can pick up very cheap and in the corners set up right are so fast, although in the straights it does need a bit more power there cheap to get and make into what you want

I got schooled on my first track day in the Zed by a 172, albeit driven by some chap with race experience and I'm a novice. It seemed very sure in the rain compared to my twitchy rear. I was just glad there were a couple of straights at Croft where I could claw a bit back. The DB9 in front was much less keen to yield to the Clio than I was.