Newbee

I am thinking of getting a 350z, my budget depends on how much the wife would like for a family car, i will be left with the scraps probably, budget between 6k-12k, anything to look out for in particular and although i know i will get a biased opinion but what are these motors like to drive, havnt had the pleasure yet, but i am getting rid of my mazda 3 mps which was very quick especially with the couple of mods i had but currently in mazda getting a new engine after only 2 years old, so i have heard the 350z engines are fairly bullet proof unlike mazdas which are notoriously made of chocolate, does the 350z engine like mods?, sorry for all the questions but any info on the above and anything else you care to help me with would be appreciated, cheers

Cheers mate, i think its because i have a few cars on my hit list, i love the mps and i want something of similar performance, i know the 350z will be dearer to run and maintain but not sure what else is out there which shares the mps rareness, only make 1000 mps's a year

Yeah i appreciate that mate, seen a few i like the look of and the thing i look for is low miles, then newest reg do not want a cabriolet, that is a definate no

If you are going to go for newest reg and are happy to pay the Tax then make sure its an HR, look for the bonnet buldge :thumbs:

My mate has an MPS stage 2, he spends a lot more than me running that (although he has a right foot made of led) I think if you tank them they are just as bad as the 350z, same with tax :thumbs:

Think the question is do you want a 2 seat sports car or a hot hatch :)

Ah didnt realise different tax brackets, my mps was a stage 2, i have never had a 2 seater before but my car will not be used as the family car unlike the mps so i can go for a 2 seater, there are a few about, saw one on autotrader with just 8000 mile on it, 53 reg i think but for the same price as 56 -57 reg's

Welcome aboard Soren40. :welcome: I've had various performance cars over the years and tbh the 350Z is my favourite so far hands down. It's the first rwd car I've owned and I've only had it just over 2 months but love it. The best thing you can do imo is go out to see a few and go out on a test drive to see what you think for yourself. :thumbs:

Yeah i will test one or two, never had RWD before, supposed to be a nightmare in winter but i suppose it makes it more fun haha, what is HR what some people have mentioned, is this a newer model, sorry for stupid questions but want to get the right one, also whats the difference in tax, autotrader seem to have them at all the same

Edited by Soren40

:welcome: if your budget goes to 12k then a good HR it should be IMO. I would say you'd be very surprised by running and maintenance costs of the zed after the MPS stage 2. Are you looking now or in the new year? Where are you based?

Earlier cars are DE engined later cars prior to 370z's are HR engined so from 2007-2009. You can tell them apart as the HR has twin intakes and a bulge in the bonnet. HR engine has 80% different internal parts to DE including taller block hence the need for a bonnet bulge even though they lowered the engine mounts.

Edited by Bems

Haha thanks for clearing that up mate, get my mps back next week sometime so any time after that, it is an 11 plate with 23k on so expecting roughly 12k, just not sure if the wife is gunna take any of me haha, if she wants a family car for 6k then my budget will be around 12k, i have told her it is roughly the same cost as a mps, but she never believes me with these things haha

Thanks for the info mate but to be honest i am no mechanic so would not know most of that stuff, i usually go on the feel of the car and instinct, which going on previous buys i am not to good at haha, i think if or when i purchase one i will probably draw up a shortlist of 3 and put on here to see if any members have come across them and see what you lads think, gunna try and get a 12k budget though haha