Poor man's posh cars - we're not on the list but Col is

Flex

Psssh, VX220 is a poor mans Elise? have to disagree with that, given a choice of the two i'd probably take the VX220 - i'm completely blind to badges, and i genuinely think a VX220 is a better looking and better driving car.

You can seek help for that you know...... a phone call to the quack is just a whisker away.

• Like 2

Bloody stupid article in general but especially to include the 3 series compact and the VX220.

Firstly with the BMW, having the compact doesn't mean you couldn't afford a normal 3 series, maybe you just want a smaller car but don't like FWD?

Then saying the VX220 is a poor mans Elise whilst talking about prices when new is just retarded as they were both the same price! The VX is also sufficiently rare and unknown that most people have no idea what it is and assume because it's low and sporty that it must be worth a fortune (unless they see the interior up close when the will start to suspect that you built it yourself when a bit tipsy...).

Still I guess it's an easy way to write a crap article, a Porsche Cayman is a poor mans 911, BMW 5 series is a cheapo 7 series, people only buy Z cars because they can't afford a GTR etc. etc. ;)

Psssh, VX220 is a poor mans Elise? have to disagree with that, given a choice of the two i'd probably take the VX220 - i'm completely blind to badges, and i genuinely think a VX220 is a better looking and better driving car.

But isn't that the whole point. VX220 is a better looking car but is also cheaper and less prestige because of the badge.....ergo a poor mans posh car.

A Hyundai coupe s3 is a better looking car than an M3 (FACT.....before anyone starts. An M3 is a dull saloon crashed through the Ripspeed aisle) ......but we all know which one is a sack of @*!# and which one is the 'ultimate drivers car' (or whatever crap M3 drivers spout)

Take the badges off and show an alien.....they'd pick the Hyundai every time..........then they'd probably kill you with an anal probe and conquer the earth but that's by the by.

Its a pretty poor article written by non experts trying to drive site traffic. The lack of research is quite apparent, such as showing a picture of a VX220 turbo launched in 2003 whilst referencing a 2001 NA which in a lot of ways are very different cars even beyond the obvious engine specs.

It's the sort of nonsense I would probably write on my blog, but this guy is getting paid for it! :lol:

Actually I think I've missed the essence of the article with that post but my point stands!

The point is that you buy an inferior car because you can't afford the more expensive one but really want one. The VX is on par or better (or worse in the opinion of Elise owners!) than the Elise, people choose to buy the VX over the Elise even if they can afford one. I imagine to some degree that argument stands for other cars also. More expensive isn't always best!

Bloody stupid article in general but especially to include the 3 series compact and the VX220.

Firstly with the BMW, having the compact doesn't mean you couldn't afford a normal 3 series, maybe you just want a smaller car but don't like FWD?

Then saying the VX220 is a poor mans Elise whilst talking about prices when new is just retarded as they were both the same price! The VX is also sufficiently rare and unknown that most people have no idea what it is and assume because it's low and sporty that it must be worth a fortune (unless they see the interior up close when the will start to suspect that you built it yourself when a bit tipsy...).

Still I guess it's an easy way to write a crap article, a Porsche Cayman is a poor mans 911, BMW 5 series is a cheapo 7 series, people only buy Z cars because they can't afford a GTR etc. etc. ;)

Agreed. Bit of a pointless snide article.

Agreed. Bit of a pointless snide article.

+1. :)