New brakes all round - traders deals?

Nick350z

A bit cheeky - but if you don't ask you don't get! Do any of the traders have any deals on at the moment or does anyone know of any offers that may be floating about? I'm looking to change my Brembo discs and pads all round as my front pads are low and rear discs are lipped so feel it would be worthwhile just changing the whole lot. I use the car on the road only - no track days and what not so I don't need the expensive stuff, but would be open to a mild upgrade (or simply stick with a standard set up). Any suggestions or advice on disc/pad combinations are appreciated - any deals even more appreciated! Thanks.

Nick, how do you use your Zed, road, track, so we know what's going to be best for you... :)

Drop us a call or PM and we'll be happy to talk you through some options... :)

+1 on CS service btw - I replaced all my brake discs and pads with them last year.

• Like 1

Black Diamond are a very good upgrade over OEM, love mine :) also worth fitting HEL brake lines and a good brake fluid if you want to improve it further.

Something I'll be looking at in the future no doubt. I've spent enough on her this year already (P3, respray, wheel refurb, 4xMPSS, Cobra, brakes....) so it will be something to buy next year along with a plethora of other upgrades no doubt. Zeditus is a cruel illness.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any cracking options on front discs?! My zed has been squealing and after numerous trips to Nissan to get both front and rear sets cleaned, they believe that the discs being lipped on both fronts is causing the issue and they need replacing. I was looking at replacing them with a standard set as I use the car only for commuting but if there is a reasonable perceived upgrade then I might be tempted!?! There seems to be some very good EBC deals on Ebay but have no idea if these would be recommended parts or not? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

• Like 1

Black Diamond are a very good upgrade over OEM, love mine :) also worth fitting HEL brake lines and a good brake fluid if you want to improve it further.

Something I'll be looking at in the future no doubt. I've spent enough on her this year already (P3, respray, wheel refurb, 4xMPSS, Cobra, brakes....) so it will be something to buy next year along with a plethora of other upgrades no doubt. Zeditus is a cruel illness.

I put on braided lines, about £70 for a set, its a bit of a faff but transforms the braking.

Does anyone have any cracking options on front discs?! My zed has been squealing and after numerous trips to Nissan to get both front and rear sets cleaned, they believe that the discs being lipped on both fronts is causing the issue and they need replacing. I was looking at replacing them with a standard set as I use the car only for commuting but if there is a reasonable perceived upgrade then I might be tempted!?! There seems to be some very good EBC deals on Ebay but have no idea if these would be recommended parts or not? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Thanks for your email Greig I have sent you a reply with some options :)

Thanks

Email received with thanks and replied, drop us a call on 0116 2448620 if you need any further info... :)

• 1 month later...

Well I had my Black Diamond discs and pads fitted a couple of weeks back. The garage had a problem with the front passenger side as when they put the wheel back on the wheel would not rotate at all. After taking it apart and putting it back on several times they concluded that the outer pad was too thick and was pressing against the disc all the time. This was resolved by grinding some of the rear of the pad off and all was well. However I've noticed this morning that I have a 2mm wide score mark all the way round the centre of the disc that you can feel with your finger, so something isn't quite right.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm guessing it's still rubbing on it somewhere so I'll have to go back next week and see what they say.

Well I had my Black Diamond discs and pads fitted a couple of weeks back. The garage had a problem with the front passenger side as when they put the wheel back on the wheel would not rotate at all. After taking it apart and putting it back on several times they concluded that the outer pad was too thick and was pressing against the disc all the time. This was resolved by grinding some of the rear of the pad off and all was well. However I've noticed this morning that I have a 2mm wide score mark all the way round the centre of the disc that you can feel with your finger, so something isn't quite right.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm guessing it's still rubbing on it somewhere so I'll have to go back next week and see what they say.

They grinded part of the pad off?????

I'd bet the pad they grinded has split and causing the scoring.

Why on earth did they do that?! If the pads don't fit, they are either the wrong pads or the wrong discs, the caliper piston ain't all the way back, or the person fitting is incompetent.

• Like 1

This was done at a Protyre place. All I know is that they couldn't get the wheel to turn on that particular side when the disc and pad were fitted. They removed some of the material from the back of the pad as there was no clearance. They told me that they had taken it apart several times and put it back together but the problem persisted. There thoughts were that sometimes with aftermarket pads/discs etc they are not always a perfect fit and require a bit of fettling to get them to sit right. In my limited experience I've found this to sometimes be true as my old Clio 182 had DS2000 pads that I bought which were also not quite an exact fit, so to me this was a reasonable excuse.

As for cleaning the caliper - I'd have thought they would have given the trouble they had with it, but I cannot confirm this to be so. The other 3 discs/pads are fine.

The car brakes evenly and I do not experience any tugging or pulling to one side under braking, there is also no noise. When they were first fitted I did experience some vibration under heavy braking - this happened 4 or 5 times then disappeared so I put that down to running in pains and thought no more of it - until I saw the scoring.

I'll just have to take it back next week and see what their thoughts are.

Ahh, they grinded the metal side of the pads to make them fit, well, to be fair at least they didn't grind the actual friction surface but its still a bodge job. My bets are the calliper pistons weren't fully retracted for whatever reason. They were obviously the correct set of brakes as the OP bought them from CS.

You should ever have to modify any braking component (in terms of disks or pads) as long as you buy the correct ones and your existing hardware is in good condition.

THEY DID WHAT... :scare: :scare: I certainly wouldn't go back there. You cannot just grind off part of the pad and expect them to work

efficiently, to start with they will now wear unevenly. :angry:

Just read they ground the metal side..not so bad, but still the pads should fit correctly if thy cleaned the pistons and carrier. :surrender:

Edited by WhackyWill
  • Like 1

Ummmm... Any after market pads made for a car should be a direct fitment without any chopping of pads! If I knew a garage had done that to my pads, I would not be driving the car.

I'm not quite sure of what you meant by "couldn't turn the wheel on that side"?

Edit: re read and makes sense. The pads seized on the disc. They are either

1) the wrong pads

2) the wrong thickness disc

Possibility that the calipers weren't cleaned properly but even if that was the case, the piston would wind back with the pressure. Sounds like a bit of a badge job, and would take it back immediately

Was it just the one side that they grinded?

Edited by HARMLU

Once fitted the wheel wouldn't move at all. They had apparently taken it apart several times in an attempt to solve the problem but kept coming across the same issue - the wheel wouldn't move. They then ground/filed off some of the backing paint/material in order to get a better fit. As I say - other than the initial vibration issue I had (which cleared itself) I have had no problem with the brakes in either performance or sound. I'll try and upload a photo this weekend but it essentially looks like something small (stone/piece of metal etc) has gotten caught between the pad and the disc and scored a perfect circle onto it. While you can feel the score mark, it is not deep - certainly not as deep as the grooves that are already on the disc, so im hoping it's nothing too drastic. I have only recently noticed the mark so I don't actually know how long it has been there.