Battlefield 4 - Need to upgrade!

evilscorp

So who bought this and realised there PC is sh;t£ got this for my birthday (opened it a bit early :blush: ).

I was going to buy it for the xbox 360 but after being underwhelmed by the beta graphics and number of players I opted for the Pc version.

My laptop met the minimum requirements so thought it would be ok for a game now and again. Well... it only just runs, looks epic on the lowest settings and has me seriously thinking about building a high end gaming PC so I can up everything to ultra for some sexy action!

This was not planned but since the Z is now off the road and not much more I can physically do to it myself... at the moment. I need a hobby for a few weeks/months.

Thinking of i7-4670K 3.4GB processor, 8GB Ram (will upgrade to 16 later) 600W Corsar power supply, unsure of motherboard, R9-280 or a 7970 radeon 3GB graphics card, cheap CD drive and 500GB hard drive, not sure if I will bother with solid state or not, Cheap big tower to fit it all in.

Any recommendations welcome and chime in to say what your using for BF4 and how its coping :)

Not got mega bucks to spend but would like it to be more than able to cope with future next gen games. Cheers

I had heard 8GB is recommended for the game, So one 8GB chip should do for the moment. I have used solidworks in the past and may eventually get it again so 16GB wouldnt be needed for a while.

Edit* That was an interesting read, still going to stick with 8GB just to be safe. :)

Edited by evilscorp

I have a Core i5 3570K clocked to 4.7 GHz and a Nvidia GTX 680.

At 1920x12000 it's perfectly capably of keeping 60FPS on Ultra. However, my monitor is 2560x1600. At that res it can dip to 40 FPS or below in the crazier battles.

I'm thinking of going SLI with another second hand GTX 680.

i7 cpus are a waste for gaming or so i read, a latest i5 chip would be a better choice, mine is a i5 4570 (haswell) with a gtx 670 gfx card and 8 gb ram, plays bf3 easily on ultra at 60fps+ @1920x1080

bf4, being the newer game, might run at slightly lower fps but u can always drop a few settings down to high :)

i'd also go for a higher rated PSU, look for a 750watt branded such as corsair, spend around £60+ and not £20 on a ebay one :headhurt:

http://www.anandtech...bench/GPU12/372 - gives u some idea of performance, although some of the newer components aren't listed :( like the "new" R range from AMD (mostly rebadged older cards) best to do a google search so u don't get ripped off.

a quick google search - http://www.bit-tech....-260x-reviews/1

Let us know your budget and we can try and help you :)

At 1920x12000 it's perfectly capably of keeping 60FPS on Ultra. However, my monitor is 2560x1600. At that res it can dip to 40 FPS or below in the crazier battles.

thats some tall monitor u have ;)

I'm not an expert so could be wrong but since it's vertical lines wouldn't it be wide?

I'm not an expert so could be wrong but since it's vertical lines wouldn't it be wide?

Along the corridor, up the stairs. ;)

It's just a 30" widescreen monitor 16:10 aspect ratio.

Sorry was a incorrect mash of my small laptop keyboard, its an i5-4670K I am looking at, (sooo many numbers :wacko: ) as for monitor I will probably use my 34" TV for a while, might buy a wireless keyboard and mouse so I can hide the tower a bit.

As for budget (didnt help me much with the Z :blush:) probably £700-800. Haven't researched SLI or crossfire cards much but I think the 7970 HD can (for the future...if needed) not sure about the R9 280.

The R9 280 looks to be the cheapest bang for buck on graphics cards. How do you know what power PSU to buy? I was thinking £50 600W Corsair should do, 125GB Samsung SSD, the i5-4570, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, a cheap large tower but cant find a descent motherboard that has wifi built in, I like the price and performance of the Z77 boards tho.

Along the corridor, up the stairs. ;)

Does that mean in wrong somehow lol?

Have you not heard that phrase before? Was drummed into us as kids for graphs and that.

"Along the corridor..." - The first number refers to the horizontal

"...up the stairs!" - The second number refers to the vertical

So a monitor as described would be a mere 1920 pixels wide, but a massive 12000 pixels high! :lol:

S'okay, seeing as how the OP didn't get it either I think we can forgive you ;)

the ops budget of £800 max should get a pretty decent spec if he chooses wisely :)

look for the H series of motherboards, mine is - ASRock H87 Pro4 the difference between the H and Z series in fps is almost nothing so didn't so the point in spending almost double or even triple.

Z is top spec and u pay for it

H is mid range

B is low range and pretty basic spec

back in July my motherboard cost around £75 not sure what they going for now.

The K in the cpu name means u can overclock them easily, if you don't plan to overclock save a few quid and get the non-k version :)

(think thats still the case)

the fps difference between a i5 4670 and i5 4570 again is almost nothing in most games,another saving :)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-4670k-4670-4570-4430_5.html#sect0