Exercise Bike or Spinning Cycle?

14N

OK, I've decided that I want an exercise bike. I did a bit of cycling (mountain bike, not road bike), nothing to write home about, but it's something that I'd like to progress.

Now I know the weather and early dark evening shouldn't be used as an excuse for not getting out and about in the saddle, but by the time I get home now, in the dark, the "can't be @rsed" gremlins kick in, I put the kettle on, log on the forum, check the for sale section for goodies and veg out.

I'm not a gym bunny and have never done a 'workout' of any description. This includes attending classes such as spinning etc.

I want to buy an exercise bike that I can jump on and 'cycle' in the comfort, dry and warmth of my own of an evening for an hour or so.

So, fitness fanatics, cyclists and folk that know more about this kinda stuff than me (which isn't hard as I know nothing at all), what should I buy?

Do I get an exercise bike, that you can program with different 'routes' so it automatically adjusts resistance etc (so effectively add hills etc to your ride), but doesn't look very 'bike like' with a big comfy seat that's set low with high handle bars

Or

Do I get a spinnig style aerobic bike that looks more like my actual bike, but the resistance etc is down to me? I guess 'spinning workouts' are available online that I could follow?

I just want something I can jump on and kill an hour productively of an evening (as it's too dark and wet now to go tinker with the Zed).

Any hints or tips, or pro's/con's to buying either? I prefer the look of the spin bikes, but think the programmable exercise bike would be more benefitial.

I'd go for a programmable exercise bike if your budget can stretch to it. I used to use one at my local gym years ago which was really good but probably mega expensive. As it would actually tilt & move as the resistance increased so you actually felt like you where going up & down hills. :lol: This one sound's ok but there are cheaper models out there that do pretty much the same thing. http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/nordictrack-gx3-0-upright-cycle.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product%2BSearch&utm_campaign=Google%2BProduct%2BSearch&gclid=CIyr-8GOxroCFXCWtAodujcAbA

Second hand road bike or singlespeed bike.

Turbo trainer or set of rollers

One or two turbo specific tyres.

Bonus of being able to use bike on nice weekends, next spring, and much much cheaper than a exercise bike etc.

At a pinch, you could even get some slicks for the MTB and use that on rollers!

Get a real bike and then you can buy a mount for it to use as a stationary one and then when you get bored of not moving you can go out on the open road!

My mate does this training for his iron man, you can spin or ride then depends how you feel.

I have had spinning bikes, etc. As mentioned previously, I recommend getting a real bike and use it on the open road as much as possible. You can get a turbo trainer for wet and cold nights but you'll probably get bored. I find joining a spinning class at least once a week is best as at least you get some miles under the belt every week then anything else on the road is a bonus.

Don't bother with either, Wattbikes provide the most realistic feel to riding on the road/hills but they cost a fair bit. My local gym has some and I can manage 30min max per session on them before it becomes too boring.

Turbo trainers have a really artificial feel. I bought a fancy one years ago, used it for 2-3 times and its never seen the light of day since.