NATS has locked the car out and it wont start. can anyone help?

dylanballard

i have recently come back from a 6 month deployment with the army and my father has been starting the car and moving it to keep it well. the battery died and we have changed the battery. since the change of battery the car will not stat. it chuggs but does'nt not fully ignite. there is no immobiliser light in the dash. can anyone help?

hmm, forum discounts....

It SHOULDNT be a NATS failure, these do happen, but id say are in the minority.

Do you have a code scanner? NATS faults should show up as code P1610 &/or P1614.

If you see P1614 it indicated the code in the key doesn't match the authorised codes stored in the NATS computer. Easy way to check this is simply slide a key into the ignition. If the red LED in the window goes out, then its a valid and recognised key and should be able to disable the immobiliser.

If you see P1610, this is the NATS "Lock Mode". This state is triggered when after 5 "checks" the car doesn't get a proper response from either the ECU or immobiliser (which could indicate a fault here) or if a invalid key is used 5 times to try to start the car. Even if you fix the underlying issue it will not start until its internal timer has expired.

If you have another key (maybe the valet key, the one with no buttons), try inserting this, turning the car from off, all the way to cranking the engine and then off again 3 times, on the 4th it should start. After either of the above codes the NATS system needs to read a valid key code 3 times before it will disable the immobiliser and allow the car to start, my guess is this is to stop thieves potentially cycling 1 by 1 through every possible code.

Failing that, Horsham Developments can disable the immobiliser permanently for you.

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

thanks for the replies. i have re charged the battery and there is sufficient charge in it. the flashing led in the window is permanently out. does not flash or stay on. i have been told to disconnect the battery leave it over night then re connect and try the 5 on 10 off combination with the key. should i try this or is there a deeper issue?

Before you go to all the trouble, get hold of a battery that you absolutely know is a good one - ie you have seen it start another car.

The NATS system very very rarely just stops working.

As said above, you need to check for any error codes. There is a guide in the Guides section on how to do a "pedal dance" to get the codes up by using the indicator flash sequence.

If it comes up clear, it is highly unlikely that it's a NATS issue.

In fact, IIRC if the does not recognise your key, it wouldn't even attempt to start the car - ie no "chugging" as you described it. Does the key remote unlock the doors?

I am leaning towards a battery issue still.

yes the key does open and lock the vehicle, the battery is now full, as i have light the windows open central locking works etc, with the key in the ignition it is cranking over strongly but not attempting to fire. it has been working fine with jump leads since i have been away, but since removing the battery completely i now have this problem. all fuses have been double checked.

I'm wondering if the keys need re-syncing. It's as if the imoboliser is preventing the engine from starting

If key is remotely unlocking the car, it shouldn't need synching. Worth a try though.

Again, there is a How To in the Guides section. Try that.

the flashing led in the window is permanently out. does not flash or stay on.

Key is fine. Remember the door unlocking and NATS coding are two different process's. I have a key that can unlock my doors remotely, but cannot start the car as its not registered with NATS.

As long as the security light is flashing when locked. Then you unlock the doors, insert the key into the ignition, turn it to the ON position and the security light goes out, the NATS has authorised the key.

That rules out a key failure.

i have been told to disconnect the battery leave it over night then re connect and try the 5 on 10 off combination with the key. should i try this or is there a deeper issue?

Doing this cant harm I suppose, but whats 5 on 10 off supposed to do? Bearing in mind what I said above, IE, if its a NATS failure, 5 of the same erros will just re-force it into Lock Mode.

You really need to pull the error codes. It could be absolutely anything, essentially what you have is a non-starting car with nothing directly pointing to a NATS failure. Could be absolutely anything you can imagine at this stage. Coilpacks, battery, MAF sensor, Crank position sensor, the list goes on..

Edited by cs2000

I'm wondering if the keys need re-syncing. It's as if the imoboliser is preventing the engine from starting

If key is remotely unlocking the car, it shouldn't need synching. Worth a try though.

Again, there is a How To in the Guides section. Try that.

two separate processes, it may open doors but the sync with the immobilizer is totally spearate

yes i have remembered the clutch. lol. ive checked the manual about jump starting it and it says not to as it can cause some damage. its as if there is no fuel getting into the engine. i am going back to the car today to see if trying to immobilise the key to the car will work. i will also try the fuel cap suggestion. thank you all for your suggestions and help. i will try these suggestions again, and let you know how i get on. thanks again all