Edited to protect the not quite innocent!

Ricey

Sorry to hear the whole episode has made you unwell mate, quite frankly you are best off out of it and really need to get your case across strongly to the doctor on Friday so that he signs you of with a stress related diagnosis. They won't have a leg to stand on then as you have already highlighted and documented this previously on more than one occasion and they have chosen to take no action!! Good luck matey, hope you get it all sorted to your benefit.

Sorry to hear the whole episode has made you unwell mate, quite frankly you are best off out of it and really need to get your case across strongly to the doctor on Friday so that he signs you of with a stress related diagnosis. They won't have a leg to stand on then as you have already highlighted and documented this previously on more than one occasion and they have chosen to take no action!! Good luck matey, hope you get it all sorted to your benefit.

I'm sure it will mate.

When I highlighted the stress problem in the department and recommended a risk assessment was carried out (as per the health and safety course we had just been told to complete) my boss forwarded my email onto HR backing up the recommendation.......they immediately contacted the head of site......he called my boss over and asked him if he 'was a ****ing idiot'.

I quit 3 days later to the tune of a 2 page resignation letter begging for gardening leave as I was a risk to the business and felt that my health would not hold out for the duration of the 3 month notice period (I offered to do a short handover to my replacement though)

Not one single acknowledgement from senior management or HR.

If the whole thing made you sick etc why not just leave. I never understand this il do you for this and that if you don't want to be there and they don't want you there leave? Why make it hard?

Its not quite that simple. I can't just leave without being paid. My plans are rather precariously balanced and losing around 5k in wages puts a rather large hole in them.

Ricey, you must do whats best for your health and sanity, nothing else matters ( and I'm including any potential reference from your current employer), it really doesn't. Do you think your current boss would give you a good reference and can you trust them to do so? Is so get them to do a reference for you now.

In terms of the organisation you're working for they appear to be using a fear and oppression management style, which is so old fashioned and doomed to failure it's beyond belief.

Ekona has a point, you signed a contract to work for the organisation and undertake certain duties and activities as required. However; they also have a duty under that contract to you as an employee. If they are not prepared to abide by the terms of that contract with regards to their duty of care to you as an employee (which you still are at this time) then I, if I were in your shoes, would consider that contract null and void and no longer binding.

If you have been professional ( as much as can be, ahem) and believe you have not done anything to breach your terms and conditions of contract. If you and prepared to work hard at if for the next three months and believe they will also honour their part of the contract then go for it, stick it out, get your head down and get it over with.

If however, especially in light of 'recent developments' you think your card is already marked then what are you hanging around for? See your doctor, get signed off for 3 months and then take that time to try and cleanse yourself of the environment.

I hate to think of you or anyone stressed or made ill by their work circumstances, it's a horrible helpless feeling which is very upsetting and very difficult to manage. The reason they are putting you in this situation is because they think they own you. Isn't that enough reason on its own to make you think you've made the right decision to leave?

I very much hope you can sort this out for the sake of your health Ricey. Hopefully your appointment with your Doc will provide a release option, I sincerely hope so. Look after yourself.

*edited about five times for frankly shocking spelling!*

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 2

Literally any of the senior managers and a ruck of very senior people who've left over the years AND practically anyone who works for the client will give me a reference without a shadow of a doubt.

Got docs appt on Friday. I'll see what she/he has to say.

Sad way to bow out after 7 years but as Tom Cruise said in Cocktail........'Jesus, everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end'

If the whole thing made you sick etc why not just leave. I never understand this il do you for this and that if you don't want to be there and they don't want you there leave? Why make it hard?

Its not quite that simple. I can't just leave without being paid. My plans are rather precariously balanced and losing around 5k in wages puts a rather large hole in them.

Fair enough but do you need that 5k that much that your stressed out because of it?

Could you not just find another job till then that would make you about 5k?

Fair enough but do you need that 5k that much that your stressed out because of it?

Could you not just find another job till then that would make you about 5k?

Sadly not..........I'm very overpaid :lol:

In terms of the organisation you're working for they appear to be using a fear and oppression management style, which is so old fashioned and doomed to failure it's beyond belief.

I still work in an organisation like this and as you say - it beggars belief

things have been a lot better in my scenario over the last 12 months as my new immediate line manager is quite a decent guy - however the top of the organisation is unchanged.

Before my new manager arrived, I was at this point too and can understand the distress you must be feeling (note : I haven't used the word stress, because I don't think that satisfactorily describes it)

best of luck and just hold your breath for 3 more months

So if your not going to find a better paid job in that time your doing as little as possible I don't get why you want to get all this law stuff involved like tribunals etc?

I am completely missing the point? It seems like 1st world problem to me :lol:

I've already worked half of it!

I have 6 weeks, 28 working days remaining of a 13 week notice period.

It's not like my toys came out on day one. I handed over to my replacement then they dumped this project on me that just so happens to have a deadline exactly the date that I leave.

The (verbal) response I received to gardening leave was 'if I'm paying you then I'm having something out of you'.........an understandable but rather course way of relaying it I thought!

So if your not going to find a better paid job in that time your doing as little as possible I don't get why you want to get all this law stuff involved like tribunals etc?

I am completely missing the point? It seems like 1st world problem to me :lol:

Ah you might be missing the fact that I'm buggering off to Oz on the 6th December.

BTW I have literally no interest in any tribunals/law stuff etc. that's just suggestions that people are making to reassure me that I'm relatively safe

Literally any of the senior managers and a ruck of very senior people who've left over the years AND practically anyone who works for the client will give me a reference without a shadow of a doubt.

Got docs appt on Friday. I'll see what she/he has to say.

Sad way to bow out after 7 years but as Tom Cruise said in Cocktail........'Jesus, everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end'

Then, if you feel up to it, start getting those references my friend and start looking to a brighter future.

Nobody is saying it'll be easy, but then your current circumstances aren't exactly a picnic by the sounds of it!

Start applying for new opportunities now ( I expect you already have) and get your sails set for picking up the next opportunity.

You've set your hand out, the dice have already been rolled and you know what the score is likely to be, which at least is more than a lot of other people on your organisation know as far as their situation is concerned.

You know what's going to happen so you're ahead of the game my friend. . These guys don't think they owe you anything, despite your seven years of hard work and commitment.

Start playing your hand and play it to win by ruthlessly making the most of every opportunity you set your eyes on.

It's not like my toys came out on day one. I handed over to my replacement then they dumped this project on me that just so happens to have a deadline exactly the date that I leave.

The (verbal) response I received to gardening leave was 'if I'm paying you then I'm having something out of you'.........an understandable but rather course way of relaying it I thought!

Again I don't see the problem? It's like in mario kart where you get that golden mushroom. You only have it for ten seconds so you use it constantly.

Tbh I think it's good that they are honest? If I was resigning I would even ask for leave because I'd be leaving soon?

what is "gardening leave" ?

Basically your a risk to the business or unable to carry out your role effectively. Both of which I stressed that I was and couldn't in my resignation letter.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Garden_leave

I got put on "cleaning out store cupboards" and "training the new monkeys" duties when I resigned from my last job. Having said that, working for a card processor and having access to several billion (Yep, billion) card transactions is a fairly risky thing :lol:

Again I don't see the problem? It's like in mario kart where you get that golden mushroom. You only have it for ten seconds so you use it constantly.

Tbh I think it's good that they are honest? If I was resigning I would even ask for leave because I'd be leaving soon?

A quarter of a year when you've resigned due to their actions (or lack of)?

That's a bit of a thin description of 'soon' in my eyes dude!

Edited by Ricey

I would also make this suggestion. Is there one of those big advertising hoardings near your office? If so, see how much it costs to rent it for a month.

Then as soon as you get to the end of your notice period, scoot off around the other side of the world or wherever it is you're doing, then do the following.

Find the most amazing beach, with the most incredible view and a fantastic beach bar. Get the bartender to make you a Martini. Then get him to take a picture of you, leant on the bar, Martini in hand, with the beach and ocean behind you. Make sure it's a mega, super-duper high pixel picture.

Next, email said picture to the company who gave you a quote on the advertising hoarding. Ask them to paste the picture of your smiling, Martini drinking, beach bar face on to it for a month.

Then think about those tragic muppets who made your life hell having to walk past you in to the office every day for a month....in January, when its really cold and wet.....walking past you, sipping on a Martini.....on a beach.....mmmmmm.

Yep, that goal might help the last 6 weeks be a bit more bearable

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 3

I wouldn't worry about references to be honest. They are pretty meaningless.

In most companies I have been associated with references are passed directly to hr where they state when you started and when you left and the name of the company. Nothing more as there is the potential for comeback if anything else is revealed. It's correctness and data protection gone mad.

• Like 1