370z vs 350z ManuaI Gearbox...

benjy88

Evening foIks!!!

First post in the 370z section IoI...

Anyway, down to business! BasicaIIy, I may be seIIing my 350z after xmas in order to buy a 370z GT. The onIy issues I'm having is that as much as I Iove my currect zed, i feeI Iike the manuaI box is incrediby 'crunchy' for want of a better word. I was driving a manuaI Audi S3 before the zed, and the 6 spd ManuaI on that was utterIIy subIime...

The question I have:

Is the manuaI box on the 370z improved over the 350z, or is it exactIy the same with no improvements?

Thanks in advance!

B.

The box in the early Zeds needs care when shifting quickly, personally I found it bloody awful, my Dad reckoned it was TVResk.

The later 350z revup and HR gearbox's are a massive improvement. Really transformed my liking for the car.

The 370z is equal in terms of shift feel to the HR and revup zeds, still pretty poor when compared to the manual M Cars, S2K, Porsche etc.

• Like 1

I said exactIy the same with respect to the TVR... feeIs Iike an oId Griffith!!

Mind you, the earIy Porsche 911 'boxes weren't my cuppa if I'm honest after driving some of my oId mans'.

It sounds Iike i need to have a proper drive of a manuaI version.... Does the manuaI seriousIy have the downshift syncrorev bIip? I wouId've assumed it was just the auto to be honest...!

The box in the early Zeds needs care when shifting quickly, personally I found it bloody awful, my Dad reckoned it was TVResk.

The later 350z revup and HR gearbox's are a massive improvement. Really transformed my liking for the car.

The 370z is equal in terms of shift feel to the HR and revup zeds, still pretty poor when compared to the manual M Cars, S2K, Porsche etc.

Yeap manual defo has it, sounds fantastic going down through the box once you get a sports exhaust fitted, mine crackles and pops when hot, best experienced in the alps in Europe for full effect.

The only other manual car I have driven which has this cool feature was a 2013 Cayman S. It was no slicker than the nissan system.

Yes - agree with robin. You had to change out of 1st gear in the early zeds almost before you'd pulled away, but this was improved from '06 onwards. I don't feel much difference between the later 350 & 370 gearboxes, apart from synchro rev match, which I don't use. I quite like the gearshift.

If you like your creature comforts, go for a 2010 model or newer, if you can. The connect premium stereo/satnav is good.

Yes - agree with robin. You had to change out of 1st gear in the early zeds almost before you'd pulled away, but this was improved from '06 onwards. I don't feel much difference between the later 350 & 370 gearboxes, apart from synchro rev match, which I don't use. I quite like the gearshift.

If you like your creature comforts, go for a 2010 model or newer, if you can. The connect premium stereo/satnav is good.

Agree - go for 2010 onwards

I was toId by the Nissan guys that it wouId be better to go for '11 onwards? What differences does the '10 have over '09/59...? I do Iike a few creature comforts in my daiIy :)

By the way, I don't know who's this is... but I'm in Iove....

Edited by benjy88

The Automatic with flappy paddle does have the synco match but you can't switch it off or should i say if you can i haven't found a switch :lol: . I drove the manual & the auto and i much prefered the Auto.

With the Auto box the gear changing when accelerating/De-accelerating is effortless, its the way all performance cars are going and the F1 cars have had it for years, you never need to move your hands from the steering wheel & left foot braking is now normal, its simple right paddle for up the box & left paddle for down the box - as they say "how hard can it be"

Or is that left up & right down :lol::lol::lol: ..

I was toId by the Nissan guys that it wouId be better to go for '11 onwards? What differences does the '10 have over '09/59...? I do Iike a few creature comforts in my daiIy :)

By the way, I don't know who's this is... but I'm in Iove....

Only real difference is the 09 plates had the old sat nav system

Well i'm relatively new to 370s.I drove 4 on test before settling for the one i bought,so my views are these;firstly test drive both manual and auto.I stupidly didn't and i regret that-not that i would have bought the auto-I settled on a manual but i think i should have at least given it a go.Let me say all of the cars i drove seemed to have exactly the same characteristics.You could easily beat the synchro on 1st to 2nd(mx5 owners know that feeling all to well).On all the cars there was an element of clutch judder.There was a very mechanical feel to the gear changes and if you weren't careful with the clutch,certainly moving off in 1st could induce some very unrefined clunks and bangs if you needed to dip the clutch again.All the other gear changes when moving are brilliant and the change is very precise.You just need to get accustomed to take care when moving off.Im guessing its the way they're built and i say that based on the brutal acceleration that comes in when you go from 2nd at 6000 revs into 3rd and floor it.The surge is awesome.and smooth and there are no complaints from clutch or gearbox at that torque going through them.Of course you also get the chattering from the transmission on tickover which disappears when you dip the clutch-also disquieting at first but all part of the unique idiosynchrasies of the car.I have to say that ,until i got used to the dynamics of the car i didn't think it was an easy car to drive smoothly and i wondered if i'd done the right thing.But i now realise that this is indeed a car which needs to be grabbed by the scruff and driven hard.It responds to that .Its not a car to be driven delicately.One final point I'd make as a newcomer and that is that the car feels incredibly well screwed together.Nothing rattles even though the suspension and ride are pretty stiff and i just feel that no matter what i do to it,i doubt i'll break it.Maybe I shouldnt have said that!!!

• Like 2

The 370Z needed a double clutch auto system for me to have gone for the auto over the manual on my 370Z. I'd have loved a good auto but if Nissan had dropped a big auto system in there I'd expect it to have been priced out of the market.

The gearbox is probably my biggest complaint on these, after coming from Honda boxes.

That, the quiet indicators and the silly AC light that's hidden under the fan control adjuster !!!

my two big bug bears in the cabin are

1. main beam blue light on the dash is too damned bright

2. the locked door light - ditto

these are obviously only at night time in the dark

Sounds like i need to buy a manual by the sounds of it, take my tampon out and just deal with the gearbox not being as smooth as i'd like through the lower gears...

Either that or i just spend £6000 and install the QBE60G Quaife sequential box...

I am a massive fan of auto boxes, but I am/will be looking for a car, maybe a 370, with flappy paddles. What with this type of tech coming from F1, it cant be all that bad.

My friend has a 135i with a double clutch paddle shift box. It can shift up and down quicker than you can say it.

Unfortunately, because of this no single clutch auto box will ever do for me now.

I had an auto 370z for 2 weeks as a courtesy car. I will admit it really put me off the car, i felt it got the gears all wrong and there was too much delay in the paddles.

I went with the manual and had absolutely no regrets, i love the down changes with the syncro rev, best bit about the car. However........ whilst in wales darren took me out in Adrians 370z auto and it was markedly better than my first experience. Gear changes was very positive through the paddles and with the extra gear and shorter shifts it felt markedly quicker, i was very impressed. However i'd still go for the manual.

• Like 1

Not an easy one this, ideally you'll need to drive both variants back-to-back and then make your decision. I succeeded in doing this and went for the auto, I found the shift to be totally seamless, I've never experienced any delay, whether in plain auto or using the 'flappy paddles'. The auto syncro rev is truly sublime and coupled with a more 'sporting' exhaust will have you going up and then back down the box just for the hell of it, sod the fuel consumption. The only niggle is that it's best to let the box select 1st for you, and...I'd defy anyone to change gear quicker with a manual. I've been shouted down before for mentioning this but, there have been a few issues with the manual box, both here and across the pond. However, to the best of my (limited) knowledge nothing untoward with the 7AT has happened, maybe something to consider?

Try an F-type... SingIe cIutch paddIeshift box... Changes as fast as Porsche's PDK....

I am a massive fan of auto boxes, but I am/will be looking for a car, maybe a 370, with flappy paddles. What with this type of tech coming from F1, it cant be all that bad.

My friend has a 135i with a double clutch paddle shift box. It can shift up and down quicker than you can say it.

Unfortunately, because of this no single clutch auto box will ever do for me now.

Thank you aII for your feedback... It does heIp, aIthough it's by no means soIved my issues... I think rob's right, this caIIs for a back-to-back test... how I'm gonna achieve that - I have no idea. But hey ho...

Try an F-type... SingIe cIutch paddIeshift box... Changes as fast as Porsche's PDK....

Hmmmm, I'll take a look at some info and would certainly love to try one.

I do seem to remember J Clarkson saying that the change wasn't as fast as he hoped though and that it could have been snappier.

The BMW DCT gearbox is stupid responsive and quicker than I can comprehend.