370z vs 350z ManuaI Gearbox...

benjy88

CIarkson is a heImet, trust me.

I'm the Jaguar R-S SpeciaIist for Region 6, and i've driven aII the competitor products. The F-type 'box is just as quick as the PDK, but haIf the weight... I agree, the Bimmer 'box is a fine piece of kit, but when I tested the F-type at EstoriI in PortugaI, I changed from 3rd to 2nd in the middIe of Gancho, and the car didn't even twitch... it was phenominaI. I'd happiIy Iet you test drive it, aIthough I've no idea where you're based haha

Try an F-type... SingIe cIutch paddIeshift box... Changes as fast as Porsche's PDK....

Hmmmm, I'll take a look at some info and would certainly love to try one.

I do seem to remember J Clarkson saying that the change wasn't as fast as he hoped though and that it could have been snappier.

The BMW DCT gearbox is stupid responsive and quicker than I can comprehend.

CIarkson is a heImet, trust me.

Nope, I agree but like I said, I distinctly remember him saying he hoped it'd be quicker and seeing as though he was sat in the car and what he said seemed rather genuine, I took some truth in what he said.

I'm the Jaguar R-S SpeciaIist for Region 6, and i've driven aII the competitor products. The F-type 'box is just as quick as the PDK, but haIf the weight... I agree, the Bimmer 'box is a fine piece of kit, but when I tested the F-type at EstoriI in PortugaI, I changed from 3rd to 2nd in the middIe of Gancho, and the car didn't even twitch... it was phenominaI. I'd happiIy Iet you test drive it, aIthough I've no idea where you're based haha

You clearly know your stuff then, so I still stand by my suggestion of I think you'll be left flat by the 370Z paddle system, even more so If you're comparing them to the F Types single clutch and all the other competitor products.

WeII, I've arranged to drive the Auto 370z on wednesday... just need to find a way to drive the manuaI now!

Suits, I take your comments on board, I think you're IikeIy to be absoIuteIy right about the zed...

AIthough the probIem with oId CIarkson is that he fabricates things.. He said the ride is hard, and yet you can see on the dash he has the Dynamic mode on, he's a funny chappy. But never trust someone eIse's view untiI you've driven it yourseIf ;)

Well it will be interesting to see what you think between the two.

After driving manuals for over 25 years this included my last 350Z which i owned for 6 years, I have the Auto now and would not go back to a manual ever again.

I got into the Auto with the thought of i was not going to like it & was never going to buy it but its sitting on my drive now. Dont want to state the obvious but Its no good just letting the dealership let you drive it up the motorway then back to the dealership. I made it clear & offered the cash for the petrol that i wanted to take it for a good drive taking it up motorways, round the lane, ripping it away from standing starts & driving it round town. Lucky enough for me the salesman from the dealership was a walking encyclopedia on Zeds and was as keen as me to put it through its paces.

Cant see what benefit the manual gives over the auto - unless of course you know otherwise.

• Like 1

Well it will be interesting to see what you think between the two.

After driving manuals for over 25 years this included my last 350Z which i owned for 6 years, I have the Auto now and would not go back to a manual ever again.

I got into the Auto with the thought of i was not going to like it & was never going to buy it but its sitting on my drive now. Dont want to state the obvious but Its no good just letting the dealership let you drive it up the motorway then back to the dealership. I made it clear & offered the cash for the petrol that i wanted to take it for a good drive taking it up motorways, round the lane, ripping it away from standing starts & driving it round town. Lucky enough for me the salesman from the dealership was a walking encyclopedia on Zeds and was as keen as me to put it through its paces.

Cant see what benefit the manual gives over the auto - unless of course you know otherwise.

Exactly as above! You've got to test drive this on your own and in that immortal phrase...'rag it and then some more', not too much though as you may end up buying it...

somone on here has "drive it like you stole it" as their sig - which I think is perfectly acceptable for any hire car and demonstrators ;):blush:

Maybe you can tell my wife that it only applies to hire cars and demonstrators. I recall waiting at Gatwick car park and hearing the tortured sound of rubber at every turn, with a smile I thought 'hire car, nice'. Then she rolls up in my Zed, first words were 'this thing gets through fuel!'
  • Like 5

WeII... things became even more difficuIt today.

Drove the manueI instead of the Auto, as they didnt have the auto there unfortunateIy...

Honest feeIing? TotaIIy underwheImed. BUT, it's very difficuIt, as mine is Sunset, and has a bIoody Japspeed K1 on it, so it's just siIIy and raucous. Whereas the twighIight manueI, standard GT Pack that I drove, was Iike the 'anti-Ben's car.'

I think the car either needs be compIeteIy mentaI, or absoIuteIy smooth. At this point, I reckon I'm Ieaning towards the auto if it's as good as I think it'II be...

I'II Iet you aII know once i've tried it out.

Honest feeIing? TotaIIy underwheImed.

So was I when I first tried the 370's in 2009 in comparison to my 350 that had a Nismo exhaust. But then I remembered how that zorst had transformed the 350 compared to the OEM system.

So a decent exhaust was ordered once I signed for a 370 and in fact it arrived before I took delivery of the car and yes, the Stillen transformed the 370 and together with the synchro-rev it is just a pure joy to drive getting on for some 4 years later.

Now I am living near Arundel perhaps you might like to hear how a 370 should sound ;)

Drove the manueI instead of the Auto, as they didnt have the auto there unfortunateIy...

Honest feeIing? TotaIIy underwheImed. BUT, it's very difficuIt, as mine is Sunset, and has a bIoody Japspeed K1 on it, so it's just siIIy and raucous. Whereas the twighIight manueI, standard GT Pack that I drove, was Iike the 'anti-Ben's car.'

I think the car either needs be compIeteIy mentaI, or absoIuteIy smooth. At this point, I reckon I'm Ieaning towards the auto if it's as good as I think it'II be...

I'II Iet you aII know once i've tried it out.

I felt exactly the same, the 370 i had for 2 weeks had the stock exhaust. It was dull dull dull and really put meoff looking for an upgrade. But i kept seeing ebizeds, loved the looks and thoughtid try again. Found the perfect roadster and immediately changed the exhaust for a stillen and boy, it made all the difference.

Take a ride in colins and you definitely wont be underwhelmed, just budget for a new exhaust in the cost of the car.

i have to say my ancient jag auto box is not even on the same level as the zed autobox, but i must admit i might struggle to give up the auto box and go back to manual. traffic jams are so much less stressful, i'm no longer on and off the clutch pedal. and with my bad left knee thats made a huge difference. track day wise i still like a good manual box. but have enjoyed the likes of the VW R32 DSG box, which was very good.

True...

CoIin. I Iive in ArundeI. This wiII sound VERY cheesy, but wiII you Iet me drive yours at some point...? :D

I've let those drive it who I have got to know and seen how they drive on the road, but for starters quite happy to to give you a ride/drive-by. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...