Z brand going electric :(

Jetpilot

well it seems inevitable to me, the age of the big naturally aspirated engine is dying, in favour of fuel economy and emissions. One line does give me some hope though: "It'll be smaller, lighter [than the current Z] but not less powerful." so at least whatever they come up with will be fast.

my real loss will be the V6 engine... really hoping that Nissan dont follow everyone else and install a turbocharged 2litre 4pot (yawn) i dont care how much power it makes, its still a boring 4 pot! with any luck they'll go back to what they've done so brilliantly before, either a twin turbo 2.6 straight six (a la R34 GTR), or a twin turbo 3 litre V6 (a la 300ZX) heck, how about really going down the eco route with a 2.4 litre turbo V6, with some kind of KERS?

• Like 1

Smaller, lighter, but with the same power? No chance. The concept might, but not the production version. Definitely won't be smaller (barring the Mazda2, no car has ever been smaller than the predecessor), lighter maybe but not by much, and the same power is likely to actually be more to keep the marketers happy.

Expect a 2L turbo with some kind of crappy hybrid motor system at best. I don't actually hate the idea of electric motors, but I've yet to see them in a performance car that actually aided performance rather than maintained it (LF, P1 & 918 included). Japaneses don't seem to be able to do big engines with decent economy atm, or at least I can't think of any.

"It'll be smaller, lighter [than the current Z] but not less powerful." so at least whatever they come up with will be fast

how about really going down the eco route with a 2.4 litre turbo V6, with some kind of KERS?

I cant see that anything with a wealth of batteries will be lightweight or as powerfull.

And if they went 2.6 v6 it would be far from eco.

Yeah but most of the weight is from the batteries. If and when batteries get better less weight etc. plus the Z is a heavy ass car to start with. Surprisingly the Vq weighs about the same as a 2l turbo like the sr20 or is it slightly less.

Depend on how the put the weight too knowing Nissan they will dangle them from a pole 10m above the car :lol:

It might be 4wd depending on what system they use. E.g. Fully ev mode like Toyota or just ima Honda style. Plus in the Lexus gs450h it's rwd with a petrol 3.5 v6 and an electric motor while the ls600h is 4wd with the electrics doing the front wheels.

Depressing... :( ... I know things will need to change and ultimately to keep a company going or keep a specific model going, you need...sales. When it does change though it prob won't be the same and it won't be as good.

People said the same about water cooled porsches. It will get better and better over time

• Like 1

I don't think it would actually bother me if it was a hybrid, all electric might.

The torque from electric motors is pretty impressive and if they stick a nice V6 in it that takes over at 30/40mph we could end up with a Zed that's more economical and faster accelerating than we have now.

Edited by longsh07

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/bmw-i8-first-drive-car-review-2013-08-09

BMW have already put something together along those lines... It doesn't have to be that bad, but the whole joy of the 350z is that large v6.

Big litre petrol cars won't be around for a huge amount longer I fear.... Or reserved by the few car enthusiasts still able to afford them. Though for the next hundred years or so we'll be fine, so enjoy them whilst you can!

I may be wrong, but :

Nissan and Williams announced they would be working together about a month ago.

Prior to that, Williams were working with Jag to produce the CX-75.

I think that williams will continue to develop their 1.6l twin charged engine, and have a similar hybrid system to the one in cx-75.

The technology is just not evolved enough yet.

And imho, nor will it ever be.

Whilst ever there is oil in the ground i dont believe for one minute we will see a viable alternative, least of all electric. If there was a viable alternative the oil companies would be all over it and finding the next way to make billions, they seem to have little interest in electric as far as i am aware.

I still cant really get my head around lower emissions via electric either, what about all the emissions caused by making the electric to charge the batteries, let alone the emissions generated to make the batteries. :wacko: