whats the safest and best way to clean engine?

dbass

Some All Purpose Cleaner (APC), some trim dressing (something like meguiars hyper/all season dressing) and some metal polish. I have a pic in my build thread after giving the engine only a quick wipe using those products and it looks great.

If it's very dirty then steam cleaning is the best option.

lol, I bought some special engine bay cleaner from Halfords, is part of the range of products from a company whos name escapes me. Too me about an hour with a steam cleaner and that and it made a small difference, but unless your entire engine is as brown as a turd, or yours is a show car its a lot of effort for little reward

Gunk is brilliant to start with, then when it's dry I used carb cleaner on a rag to get in all those extra dirty places, also directly spray on then use wet n dry to rub all the furry bits down also use little sanding blocks to help.Then when it's all clean you have a nice base to work on :thumbs:

post-18281-0-85709200-1378468527_thumb.jpg

Gunk is brilliant to start with, then when it's dry I used carb cleaner on a rag to get in all those extra dirty places, also directly spray on then use wet n dry to rub all the furry bits down also use little sanding blocks to help.Then when it's all clean you have a nice base to work on :thumbs:

That's a clean engine saw it at the Ace. :thumbs:

Sone people have had problems with steam cleaned engines. The water gets in everywhere and can mess with the electrics. So, you really have to find all the connectors in your engine and wrap them up to keep them safe.

Warm then engine 1st, cover sensitive areas like coil packs etc with foil/cling film to stop water penetration.

Spray the whole engine liberally with APC (all purpose cleaner) at the correct dilution factors. Allow to soak and pressure wash off.

Repeat as necessary, then go for a nice long drive to dry it off properly.