Anyone tried the Japspeed K4?

BillyZed

We all tend to agree that JapSpeed is a brand that is to be avoided.

Fitment will most likely be an issue (previously had K1 & K2)

And if a company claims that it is your car that's bent and not their exhausts, then that just does not put much faith in anything they make.

Best avoid and look elsewhere.

Just my opinion anyway

We all tend to agree that JapSpeed is a brand that is to be avoided.

Fitment will most likely be an issue (previously had K1 & K2)

And if a company claims that it is your car that's bent and not their exhausts, then that just does not put much faith in anything they make.

Best avoid and look elsewhere.

Just my opinion anyway

pretty much what i would have said,

avoid crapspeed like the plague.

Sorry, but bullshit.

I've had a k1 and now have a k2.

K1 sounded awesome, but wanted something more subtle for a daily driver, so got a k2.

Both look and sound fantastic with no fitment issues.

All this talk about them being poor is bollocks.

Some people have got their heads too firmly up their own arse.

Sorry, but bullshit.

K1 sounded awesome, but wanted something more subtle for a daily driver, so got a k2.

Different strokes for different folks........I've heard plenty of K1's and they sound utterly hideous.......but only for my taste others love it.

We've seen welds rotting, fitment nightmares, baffles rattling (i think). Basically it's a case of you get what you pay for.......some break lucky.....others don't.

It's not about having your head up your arse.......Japspeed very specifically are one of the lowest quality brands available for the zed. That's a fact........however they're also one of the cheapest.

Do it nice or blow up mice! ;-)

It not about being a brand snob it's helping people get the best value for there money I've had two set of japspeed decats fall apart after 2500 miles and then trying to sort it out with japspeed there customer service is awful I was called a liar and all sorts of other problems with them I will not use this company again. They know there products are @*!#.

Sorry, but bullshit.

Different strokes for different folks........I've heard plenty of K1's and they sound utterly hideous.......but only for my taste others love it.

We've seen welds rotting, fitment nightmares, baffles rattling (i think). Basically it's a case of you get what you pay for.......some break lucky.....others don't.

It's not about having your head up your arse.......Japspeed very specifically are one of the lowest quality brands available for the zed. That's a fact........however they're also one of the cheapest.

Do it nice or blow up mice! ;-)

A k1 at full chat on a track sounds amazing, which can be verified by lots of members on here.

I've had 2, and haven't experienced any of those problems? I know others who have japspeed, and again, have never had any issues. I think it's a handful that have come out poor? But this happens to every product ever produced.

It seems people look down on the japspeed, a lot like car badge snobs - so my quote of people having their heads up their own arse is relevant.

Why should I go and spend £500+ on an exhaust, when I can get one that does the same job, still sounds better than standard, and doesn't rust/rot/break for a fifth of the cost?

So state your opinion and don't go around insulting people and getting sweary?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion......if you want to big up the placticine welded fart can then do it but dont have a go at others for having an opinion which is also based on fact.

• Like 1

I had a k1 and it sounded great but a bit too loud. Quality was poor. The pipes discolour very quickly, the only bit that stays shiny is the cans. The fitment was atrocious also. Prices used to be a lot less but have creeped up making this brand a terrible company to buy from and deal with.

On the contrary I have japspeed decats which have seen plenty of abuse and been perfect. Just checked them yesterday and they are still like new. Other have had them fall apart in a couple of weeks.

They mass produce all their stuff and their quality management is awful. Thats why its hit or miss to whether you get a goodun or a badun.

IMO save and get a decent exhaust from cobra, scorpion, buddyclub, amuse etc and if there's any issue then its much easier to rectify as all are available from traders on here.

Customer Service with Japspeed really seems to depend on who you speak to. If you get their sales manager, he's great, listens to you and will do everything completely by the book. On the other hand, if you're unlucky enough, as I was once, to get one of their service managers on the phone, because the sales manager is busy or on holiday, you're ****ed. I bought a Japspeed Rad and the overflow pipe literally fell off, as it had blatantly snapped and been stuck back together. Took me 2 weeks to sort it, as the sales manager was on holiday. Meanwhile, I was told it was tough, I was told I wasn't entitled to a refund, or a replacement, etc. As soon as the sales manager came back though, he was brilliant, sorted it out for me, courier collected it from me at their expense and delivered the new one.

As for quality, I bought some Japspeed front camber arms a year or so ago and they're already rusting up, which I'm not huge impressed with, however I did manage to undo everything and make adjustments without issue the other day, despite the rust. We will see if they become unusable, or unsafe soon. Probably worth point out that they have rusted when my Z was in a garage for the majority of last year and only covered 1800 miles all year.

I now have Japspeed de-cats and divorced elbows. For now, they sound awesome and look to be of good quality, my car is the third car they have been on.

Like others have said, hit and miss both on quality and customer service.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion......if you want to big up the placticine welded fart can then do it but dont have a go at others for having an opinion which is also based on fact.

Hang on, I think you are taking this a lot more personally that it needs to be Ricey.

I haven't insulted anyone individually, and I'm not getting sweary?

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I'm not having a go at anyone?

My opinion is based on my own personal experience with the products. - perfect.

For the quality and price, japspeed wins. That's why I bought one.

If another more superior brand was the same price. I would buy that.

Just like why people buy the 350z as apposed to the 370z. Pretty much does the same job, one is cheaper and don't see the need for a 370z. But if the 370z was cheaper, they would buy it as its a better quality product.

Hang on, I think you are taking this a lot more personally that it needs to be Ricey.

My opinion is based on my own personal experience with the products. - perfect.There very few who have had this experience.

For the quality and price, japspeed wins. That's why I bought one.-Wrong Japspeed quality is generally poor and the prices are far more than they were and should be

If another more superior brand was the same price. I would buy that. Superior brands are expensive due to the production procedures, thats why they fit well and don't fall apart after a year or two etc

Just like why people buy the 350z as apposed to the 370z. Pretty much does the same job, one is cheaper and don't see the need for a 370z. But if the 370z was cheaper, they would buy it as its a better quality product. Wrong- I bought mines as the 370z wasnt out at the time. other buys it because thats what they can afford or want to spend.

Edited by Neilp

My opinion is based on my own personal experience with the products. - perfect.There very few who have had this experience. - I'm pretty sure if you asked every japspeed customer, there would be more satisfied than unsatisfied. If there wasn't, they wouldn't be trading/be able to do a great deal of marketing/advertisement/ sponsors.

For the quality and price, japspeed wins. That's why I bought one.-Wrong Japspeed quality is generally poor and the prices are far more than they were and should be - I paid £100 for mine. That is a good price in my eyes.

If another more superior brand was the same price. I would buy that. Superior brands are expensive due to the production procedures, thats why they fit well and don't fall apart after a year or two etc agreed with the first half of this statement. Althought mine is yet to fall apart so I can't comment on the latter.

Just like why people buy the 350z as apposed to the 370z. Pretty much does the same job, one is cheaper and don't see the need for a 370z. But if the 370z was cheaper, they would buy it as its a better quality product. Wrong- I bought mines as the 370z wasnt out at the time. other buys it because thats what they can afford or want to spend. exactly. Summed up right there. Can afford or want to spend. When two unneccesary upgrade products do the same job, in my eyes it seems pointless to pay double/triple for the better one.

Don't get me wrong, I agree japspeed isn't the greatest. But it's far from dreadful.

I bought my zed when they were still brand new and paid a lot compared to what they're worth now. I've also been here for a long time, which means I've seen almost every tom dick and harry come and then go. It also means I've seen and read almost every crapspeed story that comes up on here. They got that name on here because their customer service was so poor and so was the build quality of their work. As for sound, the k1 isn't beautiful its just loud. With the bungs out it makes interiors rattle at high revs. Its like the equivalent of comparing a classical brass musician with a retard farting through a drain pipe. Both make noise, and ones very loud, but only the classical musician makes a tune. If your happy with it, that's great, bit don't go telling me they're ubergreat when I've been here long enough to see how much they don't get it right. As for having my head up my arse, I think you'll find its called experience.

• Like 4

My opinion is based on my own personal experience with the products. - perfect.There very few who have had this experience. - I'm pretty sure if you asked every japspeed customer, there would be more satisfied than unsatisfied. If there wasn't, they wouldn't be trading/be able to do a great deal of marketing/advertisement/ sponsors.

For the quality and price, japspeed wins. That's why I bought one.-Wrong Japspeed quality is generally poor and the prices are far more than they were and should be - I paid £100 for mine. That is a good price in my eyes.

If another more superior brand was the same price. I would buy that. Superior brands are expensive due to the production procedures, thats why they fit well and don't fall apart after a year or two etc agreed with the first half of this statement. Althought mine is yet to fall apart so I can't comment on the latter.

Just like why people buy the 350z as apposed to the 370z. Pretty much does the same job, one is cheaper and don't see the need for a 370z. But if the 370z was cheaper, they would buy it as its a better quality product. Wrong- I bought mines as the 370z wasnt out at the time. other buys it because thats what they can afford or want to spend. exactly. Summed up right there. Can afford or want to spend. When two unneccesary upgrade products do the same job, in my eyes it seems pointless to pay double/triple for the better one.

Don't get me wrong, I agree japspeed isn't the greatest. But it's far from dreadful.

@100 quid you got a great deal. I paid 150 or something for mines which is why I have not too much issues with it for the price. They now retail at around 400 quid usually.

I wouldnt say the 370z does the same job. Thats like saying a ferrari does the same job. They all drive. They all do it differently. Which is exactly the same with exhausts. All exhausts can be stainless etc but its the precision and the design factors that make it work. Every silencer is constructed differently and located differently. They all do the job differently

Some cars actually showed losses in power on the dyno with the japspeed K1 exhaust.

Edited by Neilp

I bought my zed when they were still brand new and paid a lot compared to what they're worth now. I've also been here for a long time, which means I've seen almost every tom dick and harry come and then go. It also means I've seen and read almost every crapspeed story that comes up on here. They got that name on here because their customer service was so poor and so was the build quality of their work. As for sound, the k1 isn't beautiful its just loud. With the bungs out it makes interiors rattle at high revs. Its like the equivalent of comparing a classical brass musician with a retard farting through a drain pipe. Both make noise, and ones very loud, but only the classical musician makes a tune. If your happy with it, that's great, bit don't go telling me they're ubergreat when I've been here long enough to see how much they don't get it right. As for having my head up my arse, I think you'll find its called experience.

Couldn't have said it any better. I paid around 20k bk in the day for mines when I was 20 or 21. It sorely disappointing how cheap they have become. They are now getting into the wrong hands. Making alot of people sell up. It was always going to happen.

I put the k1 on mines for a laugh as I heard all the rumours about it. It lasted a month before I got rid and changed for something else. I now have the buddy club which is a piece of artwork compared to the K1 and sounds much much more refined and sporting rather than the big piece of scaffold pole attached to cans on the k1.

My opinion is based on my own personal experience with the products. - perfect.

For the quality and price, japspeed wins. That's why I bought one.

If another more superior brand was the same price. I would buy that.

Just like why people buy the 350z as apposed to the 370z. Pretty much does the same job, one is cheaper and don't see the need for a 370z. But if the 370z was cheaper, they would buy it as its a better quality product.

It might have been a far better approach not to have suggested some people were talking bullshit and had their heads too far up their own arses from the outset. This place is a great resource for sharing information and on balance during the 3 and a bit years I've been here Japspeed has had more than it's fair share of quality issues and it is therefore fair to point that at out to the OP, you have had 2 systems and you seem to be have been luckier than most. That was all that was needed as an explanation. Unfortunately Japspeed does not have a very good reputation here and that is based on our experiences. Fact.
  • Like 5

I'm going to make a comment on this based on facts.

I know the company that produces in mass quantity the exhaust, the decats and HFCs sold by some of the performance companies that rebrand these types of products.

Some of the other traders on here are aware I have tested some products, decats fitments were ok but not necessarily compatible with other parts, as Wasso/CS found with his Motordyne system.

One thing we also tested and I'm not mentioning any particular company, was that these products were being sold under the description of 304 stainless steel. I got in touch with a metallurgist I know from my old work and had the product tested. Some people will tell you that you can tell the difference between 204 & 304 stainless can be determined by a magnet but this is not the case, the mettalurgist told me the only way you can tell is by looking under a special microscope and looking at the cell structure.

The one we tested, and as mentioned I'm not saying which company it was, happened to be sold as 304 but guess what ? it was actually 204 stainless. It's a cheaper grade of steel that will discolour and fail quicker than 304.

The company that do mass produce these products make the products to order in batches of 20, and you can choose to have them in 204 or 304 stainless, the cost is about £6.50 more on decats etc which confused me as to why anyone would falsely advertise.

A hell of a lot of these HKS type exhausts get sold, they do a LHD and RHD version of this particular one ( I find that bit odd tbh as an exhaust is an exhaust and it shouldn't make a difference).

All I would say is be prepared that the quality may not be amazing and it may need a bit of tinkering to get the fit right. If your expectations aren't too high then go for it, I'm interested to see one fitted.

I'm going to make a comment on this based on facts.

I know the company that produces in mass quantity the exhaust, the decats and HFCs sold by some of the performance companies that rebrand these types of products.

Some of the other traders on here are aware I have tested some products, decats fitments were ok but not necessarily compatible with other parts, as Wasso/CS found with his Motordyne system.

One thing we also tested and I'm not mentioning any particular company, was that these products were being sold under the description of 304 stainless steel. I got in touch with a metallurgist I know from my old work and had the product tested. Some people will tell you that you can tell the difference between 204 & 304 stainless can be determined by a magnet but this is not the case, the mettalurgist told me the only way you can tell is by looking under a special microscope and looking at the cell structure.

The one we tested, and as mentioned I'm not saying which company it was, happened to be sold as 304 but guess what ? it was actually 204 stainless. It's a cheaper grade of steel that will discolour and fail quicker than 304.

The company that do mass produce these products make the products to order in batches of 20, and you can choose to have them in 204 or 304 stainless, the cost is about £6.50 more on decats etc which confused me as to why anyone would falsely advertise.

A hell of a lot of these HKS type exhausts get sold, they do a LHD and RHD version of this particular one ( I find that bit odd tbh as an exhaust is an exhaust and it shouldn't make a difference).

All I would say is be prepared that the quality may not be amazing and it may need a bit of tinkering to get the fit right. If your expectations aren't too high then go for it, I'm interested to see one fitted.

Well said! I don't think I want to be the Guinea pig for this system once I'm charged :lol:

• Like 1

It might have been a far better approach not to have suggested some people were talking bullshit and had their heads too far up their own arses from the outset. This place is a great resource for sharing information and on balance during the 3 and a bit years I've been here Japspeed has had more than it's fair share of quality issues and it is therefore fair to point that at out to the OP, you have had 2 systems and you seem to be have been luckier than most. That was all that was needed as an explanation. Unfortunately Japspeed does not have a very good reputation here and that is based on our experiences. Fact.

People I have come across do have their heads up their own arse when it comes to brands. - Although ild like to point out, as stated previously, that was not aimed at individuals.

They will dismiss certain products even though they have never had first hand experience which is wrong.

Yep I bought a crapspeed K1 not long after buying the zed, stayed on the car for about a month, touched everywhere it shouldn't and looked like a wonky wheel barrow from behind.

And the noise? Absolutely hideous from inside the cabin and far too loud for the performance of the Zed

All in my opinion of corse but I'm defiantly another hater of the brand

I wouldn't consider myself a brand snob (I drive a nissan ;) ) but I wouldn't even consider japspeed due to the stories of how they handle it when things go wrong. Every company has things go wrong but if they handle it well they won't get a bad reputation.

Edited by richmillions