Mr Clarkson...

zippypooz

Everytime Coldel mentions a vx220 in any of his posts about anything. We drink.

I'm off to hospital to get my stomach pumped.

I heard jealousy can make you sick ;)

Not jealous only happy for you mate.

Just giving you a ribbing.

I know, been on here long enough to have a good sense of humour :lol:

• Like 1

Oh and that RX7 is SEXY as hell. Love those cars man, just too much of a gamble to buy one.

now now you really aught to get away from that view on them! Buying a rotary is NOT gamble you just need to buy 1 knowing and not learn after! and should you ever have the pleasure of owning 1 you will love it ;) Granted they arnt a day to day car - and a customer of mine once rightly said to me that owning a rotary is a way of life, he couldnt have been more right - it doesnt make them a bad car or bad engine for that matter ....

In-fact i myself own 2 rx8's, my zed and ive been test driving s2ks for about 6 months waiting for the right car to come up (and i own a corsa too but thats just for work and back lol) and in all genuine honesty the mazda's are a much more rewarding drive than any of the rest - despite there downfalls nothing will put smile on your face quite like them ;)

hopefully that'll give you nudge enough to open your eyes and dip a toe into the dark side B)

• Like 1

Cumon where getting off Topic. Mr Clarkson is only stating his OPINION & it is just that HIS opinion.

Lets face it hes got the job we would all give a kidney for and then goes onto slag off everything in one from a Ferrari to an Aston Martin. Lets face it he thinks that the Range Rover is one of the best vehicles ever made. Now i can assure you i am a much better driver than any of those talentless F1 crowd but thats just my opinion :lol:.

At least the GTR tried to knock some sense into him whilst putting his neck out.

ITS A ZED ENOUGH SAID !!

• Like 1

For me opinions are only worth listening to if they come from someone with credibility in what they are giving their opinion about. As others have already said Clarkson thinks Range Rovers are brilliant, he owned an SLK and a Ford GT and openly said on one episode that the 350z engine is french made. So draw your own conclusions as to whether you feel his opinion is actually credible...

• Like 1

People need to draw the distinction between Clarkson the TV personality (gobby, deliberately provocative) and Clarkson the journalist (thought provoking, intelligent, knowledgeable). There's also Clarkson the person, but I've never met him so couldn't comment.

Clarkson the TV guy is hideously irritating and to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. Clarkson the journo is one of the best writers of his generation, and I could read his stuff for years.

I tried reading a Clarkson book, it was so annoying I lasted about 20 pages. I didnt want to be annoyed by it and actually was looking forwards to it, but his journalistic approach of not being able to write anything for more than 2 minutes without introducing something like 'it goes so fast it pulls the skin off your teeth' or the like does my head in.

• Like 1

Still think Zeds look fantastic and loved going out driving in them - I would disagree with Clarkson's comments, actually I would also disagree with zippy that 'for the money its the best car on the road' ;)

oh dont get me wrong, by that i meant for what you pay second hand for them!! i got a bargain!! there are plenty of cars out there!! (still prefer its looks though!!) B)

I think the Zed is a very good all rounder. Most of the decisions they took in the development were conscious ones after benchmarking cars like the S2000 and the Boxster. They wanted it to be different, cheaper, more torquey, more of an old fashioned drive (albeit I doubt if they used that term). This meant that there were inevitably going to be compromises along the way.

I am sure that if you take each component and compare it with the best out there eg. the gear change vs the S2000 or the steering vs a Lotus it would fall short. However, as an overall package at the price (particularly in the 2nd hand market) I think it takes a lot of beating. Equally there are specific times when I'd rather be in a Caterham or a RS Clio but I've still got the Zed.

It's close to my longest keeper (for a weekend fun car). By October it will be.

• Like 1

I think I'm right in saying that the first car Clarkson tested was a pre production UK which was imported from Japan and as a result had inferior plastics (which he moaned about like crazy). He also moaned about the Bose sound system which according to him the sub pounded his crumbling back. I don't think his review on the rag top was much better. The only Nissan he liked was the GTR (which pulled the only muscle in his neck). He's more of a Mercedes and Ferrari man which sort of says it all really. As funny as he can sometimes be he's a bit of a dinosaur.

S2000 now thats a stonkingly good gear box

Just a pity about the driving position and no steering adjustment. Nice car though :thumbs:

And the "Space 1999" dash.

The digi dash rev counter was brilliant, especially on the track, far easier to read when pushing the limits and easier to glance at than any dialled car i've driven. it had a nice big digital speed readout and a nice big digital rev counter. worked a treat.

I think I'm right in saying that the first car Clarkson tested was a pre production UK which was imported from Japan and as a result had inferior plastics (which he moaned about like crazy). He also moaned about the Bose sound system which according to him the sub pounded his crumbling back. I don't think his review on the rag top was much better. The only Nissan he liked was the GTR (which pulled the only muscle in his neck). He's more of a Mercedes and Ferrari man which sort of says it all really. As funny as he can sometimes be he's a bit of a dinosaur.

And yet, the top two things that we as owners moan about?

1. The crappy interior

2. The crappy Bose

This is a complete red herring and entirely trivial but the Orange Caterham Supersport I owned had once belonged to Mrs Clarkson. This is my only brush with celebrity. It didn't get me a free ticket to Top Gear though - maybe they thought I was a fantasist :wacko:

S2000 now thats a stonkingly good gear box

Just a pity about the driving position and no steering adjustment. Nice car though :thumbs:

And the "Space 1999" dash.

The digi dash rev counter was brilliant, especially on the track, far easier to read when pushing the limits and easier to glance at than any dialled car i've driven. it had a nice big digital speed readout and a nice big digital rev counter. worked a treat.

Love the look of the S2000, and nearly got one as a fun bit of softtop, the dash thing put me off to be honest.

I imagine the dash works better in reality than any pictures would show. It is hard to envisage as we are so programmed to looking at dials. Cracking money though for a proper soft top (not a coupe converted one) which looks great top up or down.

I used to love top gear when I was a kid and remember Jeremy Clarkson first joining the show. He soon became very anoying with his ridiculous comparisons and dismissing cars over the most silly of reasons. I used to fast forward past bits with him in. Then top gear seemed to suddenly change from being an informative car review show into being "the jeremy clarkson show" and at that point i stopped watching it and think ive only ever seen a couple of episodes ever since. So personally I couldnt give a monkies if Clarkson liked or disliked a car, and it certainly wouldnt have any bearing on whether or not I bought one.

Agreed.

I was watching some older episodes the other day, around the time the Enzo/CGT/SLR came out and when they did the reviews on those. To this day, the CGT piece is one of the most exciting and passionate bits of TV I've ever seen: It's superb. All of the cars were treated correctly, and with a certain respect for the viewer too. Sadly now it's about bums on seats rather than info, and whilst I can respect that it's not something I want to watch.

I've said it before, but I can't understand why I like everything else Richard Porter does apart from TG. SP is genius, the F1 twatterisation is ace, his columns and serious stuff is superb.

Looking at his history, he does have substantial journalistic background especially in cars and has done well to forge his own way in life. That said, I don't have to agree that his current approach to 'motoring entertainment' is all that great. Top Gear is a show for people who know not a lot about cars, anyone with any savvy would not go there for car reviews, informed advice or information. Unfortunately it has become the equivalent of "The Sun" newspaper in car terms in that it writes stuff that the general populous want to hear, not what is actually anywhere near the truth.

And yet, The Sun is still pretty much cutting edge when it comes to journalism. People always laugh when you tell them that (I did when someone said it to me for the first time!), but if you study English language or journalism as a whols you'll understand where I'm coming from.

By the same token, TG has broken down many barriers in the quest for success. By doing so it's alienated the core audience, but then that's a bit irrelevant when you can sell the rights for millions of pounds across the world.

TG audience's now will be predominately Sun readers/buyers and by the nature of tabloid journalism, they and the others have to be "cutting edge", so as to appeal to the masses. Clarkson has a core audience in his Sun column and probably the Times one as well, mostly appealing to ukip minded, populist policy. This sits well with his attraction to them.

What lets them down and those associated with them are the "Hillsborough" stuff ran at the time by the Sun and the Mirror running the British troops abuse of Iraqi soldiers, which turned out to be fabricated.

Their kind of journalism will crucify first, anyone, ordinary people mostly, which at it's best is insipid. People still buy them though and I suppose there are those who buy it to read Clarkson and that's the draw.

My thoughts on any newspaper is, if it has a section/pull out/resident mystic or anything to do with astrology then it's not worth reading.

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

TG audience's now will be predominately Sun readers/buyers and by the nature of tabloid journalism, they and the others have to be "cutting edge", so as to appeal to the masses. Clarkson has a core audience in his Sun column and probably the Times one as well, mostly appealing to ukip minded, populist policy. This sits well with his attraction to them.

What lets them down and those associated with them are the "Hillsborough" stuff ran at the time by the Sun and the Mirror running the British troops abuse of Iraqi soldiers, which turned out to be fabricated.

Their kind of journalism will crucify first, anyone, ordinary people mostly, which at it's best is insipid. People still buy them though and I suppose there are those who buy it to read Clarkson and that's the draw.

My thoughts on any newspaper is, if it has a section/pull out/resident mystic or anything to do with astrology then it's not worth reading.

With nearly 5 million viewers i would disagree, i am neither a sun reader or ukip voter, i just enjoy tg, its entertaining, has some awesome cars to view and some of their road trips or challenges are great fun to watch, I am not watching it for car road tests, if i wanted that i would have my socks bored off by 5th gear, except maybe when they are testing round the track. Just like people discuss clarksons opinion, i have no interest in those 2 dullards opinion (not tiff/plato/henderson), who even are they?????

I wish people could move away from tg being a car test bed, its not and hasnt been for such a long time and if anyone buys a car because any presenter, tg or 5th gear says, they need sanctioning.