Insurance claim value question

Ekona

Does anyone know if, when you declare you had a previous insurance claim, they ask you the value of the damage caused? And if so, does the value make a difference to the quote they offer you?

For example, you might have just reversed your car into a bollard and the rear bumper needed replacing. That's the same accident regardless of a Fiesta or a Ferrari, but it might be £500 in the Ford and £5000 in the Fezza.

Yes they ask the value of the accident, if it has an effect on cost depending on value I don't know.

+1 I should imagine it does have an effect.

That reminds me I need to call my insurance co up to find out the full loss value I will have to declare :(

Thanks chaps. So what if you don't know the value of the claim? I'm thinking if you were driving someone elses car on their policy as a named driver. You may not necessarily get the full info of the claim, so would not be able to disclose to an insurer how much the value was. Would they count that against you? Would it be worse than if you told them the actual amount, assuming it was big numbers and you could actually find out?

Yeah, one of those 'What if?' kinda questions. It's a slow day.

Will I'm thinking the other person would still have the full info and you could get it from them? If there was no way to find out, maybe they would ask you what damage was done and they would use their "expertise" to estimate it?

They ( the insurers) also seem to be concerned if there were any personal injury claims. Although a minor whip lash claim may only see the injured party getting £2,000, that is absolutely nothing compared to what the solicitors, accident management company, hire company, medical consultants and other hangers on, will have stung them for. You're talking in the tens of thousands for a minor collision that may have seen £1,000 of damage to each car. What is interesting, is that even the insured would be unlikely to have the total figure.