Are Minis reliable?

twobears

I'm thinking of getting a Mini to replace daughter's Fiat Panda but just wondered if they had any reliability issues? I know two people with Minis and who've had problems - two completely different problems - so don't want to make a mistake buying this car. Both girls sold their Minis and one moved to a BMW but they are both back in Minis now so that reassures me slightly but I would still like some advice if anyone has any thoughts either good or bad about Minis please :)

My other half has a Cooper, main problems we have:

Central locking only locks and does not un-lock the doors.

ABS, Traction and low tyre pressure warning lights always on, at last mot nearly £800 spent to replace speed sensors, front hub etc, lights stayed off for 2 months and then back on again been like this for nearly two years now on & off.

Its an auto and when reversing it can become very jerky and juddery but she still loves it to bits.

Thanks vansman :) Those problems don't sound great to be honest :dry: but it appears that girls do love their Minis, no matter what!

Its really only the warning lights on all the time thats a pain for us, the door locking does not really effect it too much but the early ones can be prone to all sorts of niggling problems so better to go for as new a one you can afford. Have heard stories of early ones that unlock themselves and open the windows and roof.

Oh I forgot, the seats can before stuck in upright position because the racket mech in the seat backs f***s up, this is a pain as new seat frames are around 300.00, there is a way to get them working again but its a bit brutal, worked on ours though when the seats did get stuck upright.

There's nothing endemically wrong with them, just be aware that when stuff does go wrong it costs BMW prices to repair.

They're more reliable than other similar cars, but they've also sold a bucketload of them so you're more likely to hear people moaning about faults.

My middle daughter had a Cooper S, 58 plate turbo version, she loved that car, she had a baby last year and traded it in for a bigger four door car. She never had any issues. I believe that the earlier supercharged versions were heavier on fuel.

Hers also came with the Mini TLC cover, 5 years servicing and MOT, she did have the tyre pressure light come on, but with the TLC pack it was quickly resolved.

My youngest has just bought a Cooper Coupe, it's new and also comes with the TLC cover. They are great cars IMO and, yes, girls love their Mini's.

vansman, I was thinking of buying new or nearly new and kind of hoping that we wouldn't have too many of the type of problems which come with an older car - fingers crossed!!

Ekona, yes, I know what you are saying - they are popular so I will have heard of more problems with them than with a rarer model. I think it's just that I have only personally known two girls with Minis but that means that 100% of Mini owners (from my admittedly statistically unviable sample :blush: ) have experienced problems with their cars.

G Man, not really started looking yet but will look into the TLC cover. Sounds very girly - lol

If nearly new, then a lot of Mini's will most likely have this cover, it's fully transferable, if new then I'm sure you can negotiate the cover as part of the deal, currently it's £249 for the five years.

Oh and Mini finance is currently 1.5% APR, down from 3.5 last month.

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

I had the supercharged Cooper s jcw and it was a fantastic car. Earlier models had issues with the power steering pump. Mines was under warranty so replaced free of charge. Also had a full new gearbox and clutch fitted under warranty.

What a great car though and would definately buy another. Wouldn't buy a base spec though, always the cooper s jcw (Supercharged or turbocharged) as it has a power output that would give the zed a good run for its money.

Oh, get the panoramic twin sunroofs also :thumbs:

Mother had a 56 plate cooper which she loved. Early model had some coolant loss issues which could have been cracked expansion tank or leaking thermostat which were both common and I think the coolant pumps were soft too.

My mother now has a 61 plate cooper s which she likes but not as much as her old one. I'd have to agree the mk1 is more fun but there's not that much in it. New model had a recal for a coolant thermostat retrofit.

Word of warning tho. MAke sure your daughter is happy with selecting reverse if its a newer car as there is a heavy spring to overcome to select it which is overkill IMO. My mother hates it and now walks lop sided with the shoulder muscles she's developed on her left side! :lol:

Oh and tyre pressure sensors are common on both.

Edited by Bems

Original auto box was rubbish. I wouldn't touch one with a 60ft barge pole!

My parents had one and the gearbox went. They took it into BMW Croydon (when it was on the Brighton Road), and they said that it needed to be replaced. £5000 inc labour please. Only 3-4 years old. My dad was like hell no! Told his mate who got involved and they then dropped the price down to £2500. My dad's mate was still not convinced it was right, so they contacted BMW Head Office and they told my dad that they were gonna supply the gearbox for free to the dealership so all they thought we would have to pay was the £800 labour charge. Apparently their gearboxes are designed to last at least 5 years. Anyways, the dealership apologised and then did it for £400 labour with the free gearbox.

GITS!!!!